Review M.Zuiko 300mm f/4 Pro - My impressions

Tony Rex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Tony Rex
This is the Native Lenses forum. So obviously the discussions here should be about lenses purpose designed and built as M43 items. There is a seperate forum, Adapted Lenses, for discussions about using non-m43 lenses via adapters..etc. So if someone wants to discuss their experiences, uses cases, business cases....etc. about using 35mm or 43 lenses.....great. But do it in the right forum.
We were talking about methods of acquisition of this lens:

Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm f/4 PRO Lens

Does that qualify to be in this thread?

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Is surely does. But not every post that was originally made in this thread or other threads in this forum have been about the 300 Pro or P/L 100-400 have been about M43 lens.

Last edited:

Amin Sabet

Administrator
I deleted a bunch of posts that were taking this thread into politics, my nation vs yours, and other discussion that doesn't belong here.

As far as whether this lens is overpriced and/or has good alternatives, that is fair game and relevant to this discussion. The thing is, both sides of the discussion have to keep it courteous. We got off to a bad start with these two posts, both of which were made by excellent and longstanding members who could have made their valid points without the insulting tone (we're all susceptible to this from time to time):

nice shot...but Olympus are in the business of selling cameras and lenses.. they don't give a damn about what you can cobble together from lenses they make no money on.
Go ahead and spend $2500 to go with the consumer flow and support Olympus so you can shoot autofocus at 1/50 in the rain and cold of your backyard.

Now we've gotten to the point where this thread has run its course, so I am going to close it.

EDIT: I am re-opening the thread so the discussion can continue. Everyone, please make your points politely.

Last edited:

Mat - MirrorLessons

Mu-43 Veteran
For those interested, I added many full res shots taken with the lens and the MC-14 Teleconverter on my latest post on MirrorLessons:

Olympus 300mm f/4 IS Pro + MC-14 teleconverter – Sample image gallery

The performance with the teleconverter are still very good in terms of sharpness but the AF struggles more, especially in continuous mode. It is also better to choose either the shortest distance range (1.4-4m) or the longest (4-infinity) but not the full one.

Real Name
Loren
For those interested, I added many full res shots taken with the lens and the MC-14 Teleconverter on my latest post on MirrorLessons:

Olympus 300mm f/4 IS Pro + MC-14 teleconverter – Sample image gallery

The performance with the teleconverter are still very good in terms of sharpness but the AF struggles more, especially in continuous mode. It is also better to choose either the shortest distance range (1.4-4m) or the longest (4-infinity) but not the full one.
Thanks, Mat. Love that kite shot over the water.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom