M. Zuiko 300/4 and 7-14/2.8 PRO lenses!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BobbyTan, Feb 12, 2014.

1. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    WOW … I definitely want these lenses!

http://www.43rumors.com/category/news/

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/0...ource=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_5

"The first interchangeable lens of this series, the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40mm 1:2.8 PRO is already available while its successor, the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm 1:2.8 PRO, is scheduled to go on sale in the second half of 2014. The final two Olympus system lenses in the M.ZUIKO PRO quartet, covering everything from super wide angle to super telephoto, are currently under development. Both new lenses are scheduled to be released from 2015 onwards. More details will be announced prior to the launch."

• Like Like x 7
  2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Finally, there's an alternative to replace my 7-14/4.0!

Don't get me wrong. I love that lens, but have not been using it much since upgrading to the latest generation Olympus camera because of the purple ghosting. I have been considering a Panasonic camera with the latest sensor to back up my E-M1 just for this lens, but I don't want the bulk of the GX7 as a second body, while I need a tilt screen for this lens (which the GM1 lacks). I just haven't found the right camera to do the job. I was getting to the point of considering giving up that lens in favor of the 9-18. Now, I just have to wait (Albeit a long one). Hope they don't price it any higher than the 12-40/2.8 though...

3. Jamesgjy

Jamesgjy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2011
    • Like Like x 11
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    That is awesome, on both counts!

I'm not sure offhand if the extra stop is worth it to me for replacing my 7-14mm but it probably is, if for no other reason than astrophotography and indoor event shooting. And the 300mm f/4 is great news!

As a Panasonic shooter I do wish they had OIS at least for the 300mm... but with the GX7 finally incorporating IBIS who knows, maybe it'll be a moot point by the time I'm able to acquire the lens :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Galengwath

Galengwath Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2013
    They look like great lenses, but not relesing them until 2015 or later will make it a hard wait. I want them now!

6. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Where can I sign up to be a tester/previewer for the 300mm? :biggrin:

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Looks excellent. Assuming/hoping the Oly doesn't flare like the Panasonic (it wasn't terrible on my E-M5, but it's really very bad indeed on the E-M1; I know I can fix it with a spare part and a UV filter, but I'd rather not have to) I may be up for a trade-in eventually.

The 300/F4.0 looks like a wildlife dream lens - 600mm FF field of view, and based on back of the envelope (guesstimating based on the mount size) it's about 16-18cm long, maybe a 72mm filter size? (one can hope for smaller than 77, which is what Canon's 300/4.0 is). Hopefully it will come it at around a kilo, or a hair less; a worthy companion for safaris, even without a teleconverter. Much more interesting to me than the 40-150, since I've never had a particular use for moderate telephoto zooms (hardly ever used my 70-200/2.8 on either crop or FF DSLR...)

8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Has it been conclusively agreed upon that the purple blob issue is with P7-14 rather than the lack of/ or different UV coatings used on newer primarily Olympus/Sony sensors ?

Could you imagine the horror if this new 7-14 spews forth purple blobbery upon EM5 shooters !!

• Like Like x 2
  9. CaptZoom

CaptZoom Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    It wouldn't surprise me is Panasonic is doing in-camera corrections for their lenses, including the 7-14mm. Olympus is probably doing the same with theirs. Now days few lenses are optically corrected, and the few that are priced accordingly high. When properly implemented, in-camera corrections are fantastic. There's also the matter of short register distances and digital sensors, and the effect that has (i.e. color shifts and/or on the edges of the frame) which requires software (either in-camera or PP) fixing. I doubt Panny or Oly would take the time and make the effort to profile second party lenses for their own cameras especially considering companies tend to recoup the cost of developing camera bodies by selling accessories (lenses, grips, etc).
    I expect all m4/3 lenses to play with all m4/3 bodies, but I don't expect them all to play nice.

10. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    The EM-5, GH3, GX7, and EM-1 all exhibit the same problem with purple flare & reflections, which means Sony and Panasonic sensors are both affected.

I'm sure changing the optical design could help minimize the reflections, so the new Olympus 7-14 could be an improvement. Unfortunately with the current generation of sensor design the issue is showing up with all manner of lenses any time there's flare or internal reflections. I've seen it with the PL 25, Panasonic 12-35mm, Olympus 9-18mm, and others - so I would not be at all surprised if the new 7-14mm still exhibits some degree of the purple blobs issue.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    Holy.... There's no way I can afford that 300mm lens or justify such a purchase, but that looks amazing.

12. BobbyTan

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    I have the 7-14 too … and I really dislike the CA and flare + purple blobs. I am pretty sure the Olympus version will be significantly better in this regard and the extra stop is a huge plus IMO.

You can always get the E-M1 or the next iteration of the E-M1 which I am sure will have a better cross-type PDAF sensor.

13. BobbyTan

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Yes, you can … just sell something … anything!

14. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Purple flares make you feel demented? Don't miss autofocus too much? Want f/2.8? Want to mount filters? Crazy photographer? Can't wait until 2015?
    Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 + UV filter (Get a good one, it'll be a huge 82mm) + Speedbooster = 7-14 f/2.8 minus purple flares and minus a huge bulbous lens element that prevents you from putting filters on.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    In the meantime an adapter and some gel filters will fix the purple blobs.

The CA is unlikely to be different given that newer Olympus bodies now auto-correct for it. Flare is an open question, but with a large exposed front element, I doubt you'll be seeing a big difference either.

16. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    APS-C lens, won't work with the speedbooster. :frown:

17. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Both lenses sound fantastic. It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the 7-14 won't accept filters :/
    It's interesting to hear that the super telephoto prime is being released at F4 instead of F2.8. I had thought that Olympus would go with a native m4/3 replacement to their existing 300mm F2.8 top pro lens for 4/3.
    I remember reading in an interview that they were claiming the optical performance of their newer 'top pro' m43 lenses at the very least match or exceed the performance of their top pro 4/3 lenses, so the glass speed may not tell the entire story.
    Most likely the decision to go F4 instead of F2.8 at this focal length came down to cost first and a desire to build to a certain size/weight second.

18. jloden

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah, the mock-up 7-14mm f/2.8 has a bulbous front element in the pics, so I'm pretty sure it will have the same issue with filters as the Panasonic 7-14mm f/4 lens. That's something I was really hoping they might change in the design, but it's apparently pretty tough to make a 14mm equivalent lens with a flat front element!

And yep, I'm sure the f/4 aperture was to save size and weight. For wildlife etc. f/4 will do alright. It's a 600mm equivalent already and there is no TC available for m4/3 yet, so you won't be losing a stop or two of light gathering with a teleconverter like you'd expect on most long glass for other formats. This in combination with the 40-150mm f/2.8 is going to really flesh out the telephoto range for the system nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  19. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    thought that would article would be covered here on our Frontpage! Just actually saw it on dpreview. But no filter mount on a ultra wide angle? Looks more like a fisheye than a rectingular lens. Whats the deal? Heck if its that difficult they should make it 8-16.... sacrifice a bit and have a filter mount. Also Panasonic 7-14 has no filter mount hence I did not buy it. Need Polarizer to mount for Ultra wide Landscapes.
    Hope they get the message at Olympus before they decide to put it into production. I also question is it really useful to have f/2.8 for a UWA?

20. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    perhaps the lens hood can be designed to accept filters? Just a thought