1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

M. Zuiko 17mm, Focusing Issue.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RDM, Mar 13, 2012.

1. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

OK so i just purchased a used 17mm lens off this forum, I received it yesterday and was so excited that I immediately put it on my camera (A Panasonic G1) and went out around town to take pictures with it. I absolutely loved the look of this silver lens against my Black camera and its field of view, However I noticed that it would refocus even when i did not have my finger on the shutter release button. I thought it might have been my eyes so I took it away from my eye, made sure it was set to AF-S and looked at the lens on the camera and moved the camera around. Sure enough when pointed to something very close, i seen it refocus , then pointed to the sky, i seen it refocus again. It was not a clicking sound or anything, i could actual see the front of the lens moving in and out. I know that's focusing . Now it was not moving as fast or as often as it does focuses when I press the shutter button but it does refocus when I'm not touching any buttons and when set to ether AF-S or AF-C. It only stops when set to MF.
    I have never heard of any problems with this lens on a Panasonic Body.
    Does anyone else experience this?
    Is this something that is normal for the lens or did i buy a faulty copy?
    I have a M.Zuiko 14-42mm II lens that i use as ,y standard Zoom with no issues.

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I sent this as a PM as well, but figured I'd post it here. Which firmware version are your running on your G1? - I found this on the Panasonic website:

"Update Contents for DMC-G1
    2009/6/24
    Ver 1.3
    Fixed the instability of operation when the lens is retracted into its barrel, using Olympus Imaging Corporation's M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 lens.
    Fixed the instability of operation, using Olympus Imaging Corporation's M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm f2.8 lens.
    Improved the battery identification to assure the safety standards Panasonic uses for our customer's safety."

3. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Some of my Panasonic cameras have had weird menu settings that automatically refocus without hitting the button. These are labeled strange things like "quick AF" or something similar.

I'm not sure this is your problem, but it is worth investigating.

4. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

It says
    Body firmware Ver 1.5
    Lens firmware Ver 1.1

imlooking into the quick AF thing you mentioned right now, Argon

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Sorry i didn't reply sooner.. I had Pneumonia and once i got better was playing catch-up with things and was not online much.

OK so Aegon, you were correct, it was a Quick focus setting. It was already set to on, and when I turned it off it solved the issue. I do find it strange however that it did not affect my 14-42mm zoom this way too .. but then again maybe the slower aperture of the zoom lens didn't need as much focusing because of the greater depth of field.

Anyway .. Ean, i am enjoying the lens, although I find that it Hunts allot. I use manual focusing at-least half the time because of this . Did you notice that with this lens, Or are there any other 17mm user's out there that notice that to be tru?

6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I'm unsure if the 17 has been updated at all in its production history (?)

I know other Oly lenses have had various subtle/not-so-subtle changes to them - the kit lens (more-so) and the other zooms in particular.

The MkII kit 14-42 is a very very definite improvement over the original in terms of focus speed improvement. Build quality may have dropped (no metal mount) but its speed improvement makes even the old bodies (E-P1/E-P2) seem a little faster.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Have you tried making the AF box smaller? You can do it on my G2 so I am guessing it might also be something you can do on the G1. I find that helps my P20 focus faster (a lens not known for speedy focusing).

8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yea that's the lens i have attached to my G1 most of the time. Its quick to focus and I seldom have the problem of it refocusing and not letting the shutter fire immediately. I have settled into using the 17mm for in-door shots mostly, and the kit lens for out door walking around.

If it is possible I haven't figured it out. I don't think i can do it , at least i haven't seen anything written in the book on that.