1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

M.Zuiko 14-42mm MK II R question.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by johnny9fingers, Aug 22, 2011.

1. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

What's the difference between the 14-42mm MK II & the MK II R???

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  3. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks, I figured any difference would be small. I am a fan of the 14-42mm MK II and should expect to be just as happy with this lens. I wonder what the "R" stands for. R = Really Sharp? Really Fast? Really Pretty? :tongue:

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Firmware v1.1 on July 21st, 2011 brings the 14-42mm MSC up to speed with the 14-42mm MSC R.
    Firmware Update for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM : Lenses

The R however, has a nice cosmetic ring that covers the bayonet for filters and hood, so the lens looks better if you don't have a hood/filter attached. It also has a nicer feeling focus and zoom ring, which will make it so much easier to take photos with it. ;) 

You can't update the nice zoom and focus rings with firmware, but I bet you could probably steal the cover ring off of an R version to fit on an MSC version. :D 

5. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    If I have a PL2...does it make sense to update the Firmware? (BTW, is there a FW update for the body?)

6. j0sh818

j0sh818 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    MO
    @MrKal_El:
    I just updated my epl2 body to v1.2 and 14-42 II to v1.1 last night. Didn't notice any speed difference coming from version 1.0 on both. I just got the epl2+kit last wednesday though. :) 

Thanks!

Sent from an iDevice using Mu-43 App

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I updated E-PL2 and 14-150mm lens, didn't notice any difference. Intetestingly, the update service no longer recognizes 14-150mm lens after the update, it only shows the firmware version...

8. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i updated the lens too, however when i clicked on 'details' to what i am upgrading the 14-42mm II for, it just says "improved auto focus performance on ep-3" so i dont know if older ep cameras will enjoy the faster autofocus speed or whatnot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.