1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

M. Zuiko 12-40 PRO on the E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hydro, Dec 4, 2013.

1. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Forgive me if this thread already exists. I did a search and couldn't find it. I'm considering the 12-40 PRO, but plan to stay with my E-M5, at least for awhile. Does anyone know if there would be any limitations with this combination, or is the lens made solely to be coupled to the E-M1? Thanks!

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It works fine and dandy on the E-M5. BTW, all µ4/3 lenses work on all µ4/3 bodies.

3. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Thanks! I suspected so, but thought there might be some performance aspects optimized for the E-M1 designed into the lens.

4. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    The only minor advantage on the EM1 will be:
    "When using Micro Four Thirds lenses to shoot stills, the E-M1 uses 81-point contrast detection in Single AF, and a combination of contrast and phase detection to shoot in Continuous AF"
    This is nothing particular to the 12-40 lens...all auto-m43 lenses will work this way on the EM1.

5. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Thanks for that insight, Tornado.

6. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    what I gathered from the first few threads on this is that while the EM1 does in-body Chromatic Aberration correction, the 12-40 doesn't exhibit problematic CA in the first place. EM5 shooters haven't complained about CA much.

7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Yes, there isn't any noticeable CA with the E-M5. Now, if you use the 17/1.8 or Sigma 30/2.8 the difference is significant.

8. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Also, the 12-40 PRO lens will frustrate you equally the same on the E-M5 & the E-M1 when you accidentally switch the focus ring to manual mode and then spend the next 45 minutes diving through menus to try to get AF to work....please don't ask me how I came to know this fact....

:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  9. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Don't ask, don't tell :)