1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

m.ZD 12mm filter questions

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by nickthetasmaniac, Dec 11, 2012.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi people, I'm planning to buy the m.ZD 12mm and I had a couple of questions re: filters.

I'm going to use the 12mm mainly as a landscape lens and I'm especially interested in shooting scenes with moving water (rivers/streams/waterfalls/coastal), so I'd like to use both a polariser and an ND filter.

So...

- How much variation do you get across the frame when using a polariser on a 12mm? For instance, with a full sunny sky. An example image would be great.

- Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a quality, slim, 46mm 10-stop (or thereabouts) neutral-density? It's easy to find slim CPL's - less so ND's.

- From experience, would a stacked slim CPL and slim ND cause vignetting? For most of my use I'd like to be able to use both together...

Thanks in advance :smile:

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Stacking on such a wide angle might be tricky...not sure what other filters you have but would you consider a step up ring ?

I assume with the type of stuff you shoot heaps of in Tassie you would get a lot more mileage out of the CPL so I'd probably get that in a 37mm, a CPL you could almost always keep on the lens for landscape shooting, but a 10stop ND will be used less often and is pretty chunky so sizing up is almost a must for 12mm. It is for my P14 when I stack on top of it !

In that case I use my 46mm Marumi CPL then use a step up ring for one of my 52mm NDs. On my PL25 it's not necessary but I've found on the P14 it is. The 12mm will be even less forgiving.

3. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I use the Lee 75 system, so an ND and pola are not a problem. Like all Lee gear, it's not cheap but it works very well. I haven't used it a lot yet but the sky looked fine to me. Here's a link to a shot taken with the pola, but no ND: Big Buttons

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I've considered a step-up ring but the next size up that I have is 52mm and while I can both a CPL and ND in this size, neither is slim and I'm concerned that there would be vignetting. Are you saying that using a step-up ring will reduce the likelihood of this? This could be a good option as there's lots of slim 46mm CPL's about, and then I could stack a step-up on that to my 52mm ND. I've never used one so I'm not sure though...

Not sure what you mean about the 37mm CPL - m.ZD 12mm has a 46mm ring?

Thanks for the suggestion. Because of the amount of travel and bushwalking I do, I'd prefer something less bulky than the Lee/Conkin style set-up.

5. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    The Lee 75 system is much less bulky than the full Lee system, and the filters are tiny. I was surprised by how small it was. It's worth a look if anyone in Tassie carries it.

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Aha....sorry mate my mistake, I was thinking of the 37mm filter thread for my O45 !

Yeah, when I've stacked 2 X 46mm filters on my P14 I've had vignetting, and thats using the ultra slim Marumi SHG CPL. Stacking instead with a 52mm B+W FPro ND the issue went away...the extra 6mm in gained diameter did the trick. Would it also suffice given you'll be shooting the slightly wider O12 ? That I can't say for certain, but given you already have the filters, fork out few bucks for the step up ring and give it a crack.