M-Mount module for Ricoh GXR

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Luke, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ricoh M-mount GXR Mount A12 module announced and previewed: Digital Photography Review

I'm sure some of you camera addicts already own a GXR and I've been curious to watch the selection of modules grow. This one really peaks my interest. Can any owners share their opinion on the handling of the camera and any current modules they own?

Can anyone share their knowledge about M-Mount lenses in relation to pricing and performance vs. m4/3 and others (I can't afford to collect Leica glass, but my guess is that there are some equally impressive other options that have more palatable prices).

It sounds like a lovely unit. I'm going to start saving up some cash and try one out, I think.

2. andrewteee

andrewteee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2009
    I have the GXR and the two A12 units. I love the system, but really only with the APS-C A12 units. For small sensor (and more compact) I love the GRD3. The GXR is unique and not for everyone, but for me I love the way their cameras handle and I love the way the RAW files convert to B&W - great tonality. The GXR is not as flexible as the m4/3 system (or more flexible, depending on how you look at it) and for me they are complementary.

The GXR M mount unit will surely be unique. It is the first purpose-built m-mount "camera" and thus has unique capabilities to accommodate its reason for being. I've pre-ordered one because I have one Zeiss lens that I've been looking for the right digital camera for (excepting the expensive M9). It's a 50mm f/1.5 lens and with film it easy dreamy at f/1.5. The GXR M mount unit may give me what I'm looking for.

I've tried a number of cameras and ultimately prefer Olympus and Ricoh. There is just something about their files (and handling) that really appeals to my eye.

For more information on the GXR visit the DP Review Ricoh forum or the Ricoh Forum. A lot of people don't "get" the GXR system concept, but most of these have not ever used one. Sift through and look for the real end user experiences and feedback. TOP also has a few posts on it. He just had a post today on the GXR M mount unit.