Lytro Illum

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by gryphon1911, Apr 22, 2014.

1. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Looks like they have finally tried to introduce a "proper" camera. $1500 with all the light field goodness. It appears to have a 1" sensor and a 30-250mm f/2 constant aperture lens.
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think the light field thing is very cool but I can't see it replacing all other cameras.

I find it odd that the lens is a 30mm-250mm on a 1 inch sensor. That is the equivalent to an 81mm-675mm in FF. The tele end is very nice but there is no wide or even standard focal range for this camera!? Or is Lytro listing the FF equivalent focal lengths? One source{linked below} does say it is FF equiv.}

The design is not bad, certainly better than the elongated box of their other model. The sensor is 40 mega-lightfield - not sure how that corresponds to a pixel though. I have read that light field sensors are much lower in resolution than traditional sensors - that is the biggest trade-off. I can see how images taken with a camera like this would make for killer video slide-shows!
  3. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm pretty sure it is a 30-250mm equivalent lens. From the DPR article you linked "now with a more practical 30-250mm equivalent range".
  4. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    There's a very good article on the Ilum and Lytro here:

I'll just copy and paste my comments I posted there-

This is much better than the original Lytro, and seems to point to some creative possibilities as a new medium, not just a still camera than can re-focus after the shot. I am glad to hear they met or exceeded sales projections for the first Lytro, and that it enabled them to continue developing the technology.

The Illum 4MP stills output is okay (at least usable for say 8 × 10 prints). But I really like the Kens Burns effect that the camera produces with the refocus, zoom, AND tilt. I think the ideal output for this camera is not a printed picture, not the web, but a big HDTV.

It’s too expensive to be anything but a niche product, but hey this is a brand new technology. If the basic feature set of the Illum can eventually be brought out in a $500 product, I think it becomes very interesting for a wider audience.

Also, since there should be absolutely ZERO autofocus lag and has a good telephoto range, this would be very interesting for shooting sports, etc. I read somewhere that the max shutter speed is 1/4000 sec. I guess the frame rate is probably low, but it would be really fun to try for casual use. The good thing about the technology is that software will always get faster and better, optics is not the rate-limiting-factor here.

Or if they made one with a fixed pancake lens with 35-50mm range lens, that would be really interesting to see too. If the Illum sells reasonably well, maybe they can do a prime lens version for well under $1000.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I thought it said 30-250 equivalent. But I did not see any resolution details. Maybe you can sell a goofy elongated box camera with limited tech info for a few hundred bucks, but I think the $1500 price tag is going to necessitate some details.
  6. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    This technology and the concept of constructing an image from light ray data by processing is fascinating.

This quote regarding the 30-250mm F2 from the founders is also quite interesting:

Early days but who knows what will happen with the tech in the future... maybe we'll see low cost constant aperture lens with incredible zoom ranges?
  7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Interesting... Something to keep my eyes out for, in future.
  8. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I read somewhere stated Sony is also working on curve sensor too, rumor said Sony will use this technology on new RX2 as soon as this summer.
  9. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    How about even more massively-undercorrected Micro 4/3 lenses? :tongue: :wink:
  10. dhp

dhp New to Mu-43

Apr 15, 2014
    I just saw one of these in the wild walking around Penn Station in New York. It's huge!
  11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I dunno... Sensors with more and more latitude, powerful post process tools, cameras like the Lytro. It seems like photography is slowly but surely morphing into digital artistry and moving away from skillfully using optics to focus light on a light sensitive medium. Photographic skill is becoming less and less important in creating compelling photographs.