Lytro Camera - $399/$499

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DDBazooka, Oct 19, 2011.

1. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
  2. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    this is interesting stuff. can't believe it actually became reality. i wonder how good the lens (picture quality is). this is fascinating stuff. there's infinite possibilities with this.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'll consider the one that comes out 5 years after the first. Amazing tech and a KILLER toy for wealthy early adopters.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't think you need to be wealthy to afford a $399 or $499 camera. ;) I see they decided to go the Apple route though and offer only on-board memory so you have to pay for a larger capacity model. At least they don't double the price to go from 8GB to 16GB though, like the iPod. Instead, you only pay $100 more for double capacity... That's a smarter business decision if you ask me. I bet they'll sell a lot more 16GB models than 8GB.

5. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Totally agree with you on that one.

Ned , Perhaps you would like to join me tomorrow for another shift, stood on the back of a very old potato harvester, in what can only be discribed as Dickension conditions , plus wet and cold. for less than minimum wage.
    ( i refuse to claim benefits)
    $300 to $400 is in fact a shit load of money !!!!!!!! Excuse my french:mad:

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sure, I'll join you. As a photographer, the high cost of camera equipment these days often exceeds my wages. Each time one little piece breaks, it's a few hundred bucks out of my pocket. I would love a steady minimum wage job, lol. :cool:

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    before this thread becomes entirely about what exactly $400 is worth to any particular individual, I would like to stress that my point in that statement is that it is new technology and this first camera will be rudimentary to what is available for similar money 5 years from now. I remember telling my wife that the first gen iPod was overpriced garbage. She paid her $400 or whatever it was. SHe hardly used it. It broke a week after the warranty. A couple years later devices that can dance circles around that original cost less than half of what that one did.

It's a one trick pony (albeit a VERY cool one) and someone has to pay for the tech, but the first one will NOT be a great camera. I certainly wouldn't discourage well heeled techies from getting one. Just my 2 cents.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I totally agree with this. But depending on the need that's filled by the new technology, it is often well worth paying the early adopter price if there is no other product like it. For instance, I bought the original E-P1 Digital PEN pre-ordered a month before its release here, at the highest price. I knew and even predicated that this camera would be replaced with a new model incorporating an EVF within a half year's time... which was answered directly by the E-P2. You had to see it coming, as the lack of EVF was the biggest point of contention for everyone. That didn't faze my purchasing decision one bit though, as this camera filled a need that no other camera could. I tried carrying around a compact camera, but found it got no use whatsoever because they could not come close to my personal standards. They say "the best camera is the one you have with you", but if you would never do anything with the photos because of the poor quality, then that no longer applies. The PEN filled the need for a small camera I could take everywhere, but produced images of a quality that met my standards...

If I had waited 6 months I could have gotten an E-P2 instead and had the option of EVF and external mic. I do not regret buying the E-P1 instead one bit, just so I could have it 6 months in advance. During those 6 months, I finally had the portable camera that I was missing, which also doubled as a second body to my E-3. It would not have been worth the few hundred dollar savings to have waited half a year or two years (my next PEN upgrade was actually the E-PL2) for something "improved" to come along as I would have missed too many opportunities during that time for lack of capabilities.

This camera could fill the niche in a very similar way. If I felt my PEN wasn't small enough anymore to take with me, this camera could actually fit the bill and offer me something which really fits in my pocket and can snap a quick photo with no need to focus, producing something that I could still use. I'd still like to learn more about the photos it takes though (quality, size, etc.), and also the processing involved... but in the right financial situation I could actually see this as being something revolutionary enough to be worth the early adopter price to me.

9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So your say comparing it to the first m4/3 camera...E-P1, Still loved by many, although current models could make it look like a one trick pony as well, yet it is still loved and used by many. First take at a new idea doesn't always mean its crap, although first trials arguably can have many short comings. I'd wait until there is a little more info before banishing it to the sad first attempt department.

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Well I could easily be proven wrong discussing something that I know nothing about :)wink:), but I think the quality of the photos will be roughly that of the point and shoot variety and was really why I think of it has a toy.

I hope they prove me wrong and it takes heartbreakingly beautiful photos. But it won't. In the meantime, I think I'm going to take a drizzly autumn walk and shoot some photos with my PEN. I love wet leaves.:smile:

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, I don't think you'd be wrong in that it probably IS inflated in price at the moment. However, my point is that even knowing that we're paying more for a "rough" product, early adopters can still pay that premium with eyes wide open and make it worthwhile to them. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Check out their website, sample photos that you can change the depth of field and focus point. Seems very interesting, on my iPad you just touch the photo where you want the focal point to be and in a moments time it's in focus. So in theory you capture the image, and pick your focal point in processing, and it's possible to have the same image with different points of view.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just don't get it. Out of maybe 300 pictures, I might think "Hmmm... this shot would be better if the other (foreground/background) was in focus" and then the lytro technology would be helpful. But a lot of times, I can just take two pictures on the scene with a different focus point.

Looking at their samples (Lytro) -- who wants a picture where the plants are in focus, but the spider blurred? The spider is the obvious subject. Most of their samples have just one obvious subject. Maybe the surfer and the waves, you could go either way, but with, what, 2 extra seconds, you could have two shots with each in focus.

I'm not saying it won't sell. Gimmicks always sell. I just don't think it will have much commercial once the "oh, wow, cool" factor wears off.

14. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    That was my first reaction, too. This is for people who constantly take photos and nothing is in focus. Or their auto focus is constantly grabbing focus on the wrong thing. I don't think photographers are their target demographic, but I could be wrong.

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I almost pulled the trigger ... just because ... then I started thinking about IQ and stuff that is kinda important (what's 2GB divided by 750?). And then I started thinking about the mechanics ... yeah it's great that everything is in focus ... but in reality, only thing that is in focus is what you select and said f/2 DOF around that plane of focus. So how does one change the ISO ... don't see a hotshoe or on-board flash ... don't see a control for FPS ... don't see a lot of things ...

According to Lytro "No auto-focus, no shutter lag, no unnecessary modes, dials, or settings. And no flash, because Lytro can handle many low light settings. So, no obstacles to the perfect shot." Man, and all this time I thought focus, lens selection, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, et cetera, were necessary in order to attain my pre-visualized image ... not obstacles keeping me from the perfect shot. I guess once I get that perfect shot I can retire and hang-up my cameras.

Hey, this is interesting ... guess what the resolution of the Lytro is? Give-up ... "11 Megarays: the number of light rays captured by the light field sensor." So what-the-hell is a "Megaray"? ... and how many megarays does my FF cameras capture? Sounds like someone ... is avoiding something ... they don't want the paying customer to know ...

All-in-all ... nahhh ... it is cute, but so is a Holga and I know the ISO/ASA of the Holga's medium, (Plus a Holga is only $29.99).

Gary

PS- And nothing on their website says anything about printing.
    G

• Like Like x 3
  16. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    It's like playing with my E-P3 in touch-focus live view.

Seems like a novelty, until they incorporate this technology in consumer cameras and make it another convenient feature like exposure and auto white-balance.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I wonder how they got on the Space Shuttle ... those things were gold when I was shooting news. I put my foot on the tire of the Enterprise and the security people came unglued.

Interestingly enough, I was checking out the gallery and came across an image of the Empire State Building shot through a window with rain drops. Okay, so if you click on the building it becomes sharp ... if you click on a raindrop it becomes sharp ... but if you click on a drop with the building behind it ... nothing becomes sharp. This can be replicated with other images if an object is somewhat transparent on top of another object, neither will be in focus. Don't think this is significant, just interesting.

The technology is wonderful ... I think the application of said technology is far from professional or anything an enthusiast would desire as a primary camera (the website is written to the dedicated Point 'n' Shooter).

G

18. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    According to DPReview 35-280mm equivalent FL and "at least HD resolution", so around 2-3 megapixels per shot. Definitely aimed towards regular consumers with social websites in mind.

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I don't think that is quite correct. What the Lytro delivers is after the shutter release selective focus. The DOF is f/2 by whatever the sensor size may be. I went through the Lytro site and never saw Lytro state "infinite DOF".

Lytro does state:

"Unlike a conventional camera that captures a single plane of light, ..." I don't think this is true. A conventional camera captures light from numerous planes and transfers that light to a single plane. Hopefully some physicists can correct me.

and

" ... the Lytro camera captures the entire light field, which is all the light traveling in every direction in every point in space."

Wow, with all the light being captured from "every direction in every point in space" each Lytro seems like a little black hole. With enough Lytro's out there ... maybe this can be an answer to global warming ... (subtracting the heat generated by light from every direction in every point in space from the heat generated by man ... may just balance out our planet). Again, perhaps a physicist can set me straight.

G

20. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'm a gadget freak, so... I LOVE IT! :D

- Eliot