Lytro announces Light Field Camera

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Bhupinder2002, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lytro unveiled its first product - the Lytro Light Field Camera.The camera will come in 8Gb and 16Gb versions, costing $399 and $499. The cameras feature a 35-280mm equivalent, constant F2 lens with what the company is calling an 11 megaray sensor, that captures photos that can be refocused after shooting. Its an interestesting development . I love the idea that u can refocus on any area once u have taken ur shot.
    Is this the next big thing?
    How is this gonna change the world of Photography ?
    Please have ur say
  2. Caroline

Caroline Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    I must admit I find it quite fascinating, but then I'm a bit of a self-confessed geek and gadget freak!

From the sample pictures I have seen on the Lytro website the image quality is not going to blow anyone away but I can see it being great fun for the sorts of occasions where you take a camera to snap the moment rather than make a "studied" picture.

What I can't see is how to get large depth of field with this camera - all the online samples are shallow focus and you can move the point of focus around, which is fun, but I haven't seen any shots where almost the whole image is in sharp focus to start with. It seems the camera has a fixed f2 lens throughout its zoom range and I've seen nothing about how (or if) you can make the aperture smaller. Now a fixed f2 would be great for me (as I absolutely love shallow depth of field!) but for landscapes or for those people who prefer to have most of the shot in focus I really don't know how it will work (if at all). So it seems to be fun but not very versatile.

So, as it stands, in my opinion, it's not going to take over from conventional cameras, but it will be interesting to see how it develops as a concept, how it will be received and what sort of products will come out when the technology becomes a bit more mature. It is clearly currently targeted at more casual snap-shooters rather than "serious" or professional photographers, and in its current state it could end up being a short lived gimmick like polaroid cameras became (for amateur photographers at least) in the 60s and 70s, or it could turn into photography's equivalent of the iPod and iPhone if it takes off. Who knows, but very interesting!

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    This is one to probably pass on the early experiments, but its a fascinating approach and I look forward to seeing where it is in another few years. It screws up my old-fashioned notions about photography something fierce - even my new fashioned ones. When I take the shot, I sort of want to make the decision about what's gonna be in focus and what's not - I'm not sure I want to leave that to the viewer. And I like being able to process the image to change to monochrome, pull out details in one part, boost the contrast in another, etc. And I'm having trouble seeing how this new tech allows anything of the sort. Yet, its an amazing enough change that I think all of these things will be sorted out in time, and I can see an enormous appeal to this once its perfected.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    My issue is the "RAW only - post processing required" (and on their servers no less) process. The only way to share pictures is on Facebook ... and through their servers. They can solely determine your workflow, and what PP options are available. No Lightroom, NIK, etc - just whatever Lytro thinks you should do to their images.
  5. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    They're only starting. If it becomes wide-spread Adobe and other there will support it.
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If Lytro allows access to their algorithm. Which they might not.
  7. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I think it's a very interesting technology and that to try to target as broad a public as possible is the right way to go to begin with. Wether or not their design and price point are the right ones is another debate.

If it succeeds, I think it will change the market. I'm not saying people will switch their camera for this one, especially not the enthusiasts. But people will eventually come to expect to be able to change focus on their photo in post processing the way they change other parameters today.
    How long from now, I have no clue, but I'm already excited by this technology. With time, cameras with more controls and options would come, perhaps, even, an X megarays EP-6?

8. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I am keenly interested in the technology, but this implementation seems quite gimmicky. Still, I expect it to sell passably well. I don't foresee this supplanting professional and hobbyist photography techniques in the near term, but I could see it being incredibly popular and even useful for cellphone cameras and small, inexpensive point-n-shoots.
  9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I think this is a fascinating piece of gadget! I really want to try it out, but to pay $399 or $499 for a gadget with limited use is a bit much, for me anyway!