LX5 and GF2, any reason to have both?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by lenshoarder, Mar 3, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    So I finally picked up a LX5. I got it "like new" used from Amazon. Some people have reported getting new ones. The first sign it wasn't new was the seal on the box. Panasonic boxes don't have a seal. I opened it up and all the little baggies have been opened yet none of the cords have been unraveled. The camera could have been mistaken for new except there was one fingerprint on the screen and there's a miniscule mark on the hot shoe cap. It had been powered up 58 times and had 109 shutter activations. Overall, I'm happy since it only cost me $5 more than my GF2 kit, $205.

I knew the LX5 is big. I've even seen pictures of it next to a GF2. It doesn't really hit you until you see it in person though. I've had a S100 before and the LX5 is definitely monster sized compared to it. The S100 you can slip in a pair of jeans. The LX5 would be a tough sell for that. Considering it is so close in size to a GF2 + 14mm lens, is there any reason to have both. For the price of the LX5 I can buy a 14mm lens and have money left over. The LX5 does have a zoom lens so it is more versatile. To the people that have both, do you find it's handy to have both or is the LX5 redundant to the GF2 since it doesn't have much of a size advantage and the GF2 has better IQ? I have 4 weeks left to decide whether to keep it or not.
  2. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I've thought about buying an LX5, and the only thing I could really see using it for is a good underwater camera. Now that the G1X is out, I'd probably rather have that, though. The LX5 might be good to bring to parties or places where you're going to be doing silly and/or drunk things and don't want to risk losing/breaking the GF2. It'd also be useful if you're shooting 14mm on your GF2 and then see something way out in the distance that you can't swap lenses fast enough and capture. That actually just happened to me today - I was wandering around SF with the 7-14mm, and I saw three girls climbing up the side of a building. I couldn't get them fast enough so I had my wife run over with her S95 to capture them. Food for thought.
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I don't have either; however, I have the GF1 & LX3. I'm a part-time working pro so I may have different needs than you. My LX3 is backup and is what I grab and stuff in jackets or briefcase. It doesn't go in my camera bag because if I am asked to leave my camera bag in the car when covering an event or if I simply don't want to mess with the GF1*20mm*12mm or GH2*45mm*25mm combos.

The LX3 or LX5 simply don't look like pros stuff so I end up getting fairly decent shots for the client.:smile:
  4. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    There are a lot of features on the Samsung TL500 that really intrigue me and some have been going from around that price on ebay.
    I haven't pulled the trigger because I don't feel I need it or would use it that often.
    Maybe just GAS.
  5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    So I was all decided to keep the LX5. It's a decent bit of kit. The buttons and dials all feel very nice and high quality. Then I looked at the pictures it took. They are nothing special. Just your average P&S shots. Yes, the bokeh does look better than your average at F2, but otherwise I was not impressed. As for that bright lens in low light. Once again, I'm not impressed. I sought out one shot to illustrate my disappointment. Here is a low light shot and the same shot using my Sony TX5. Both where 1/4" exposures and both were on automatic. The LX5 was at F2 and ISO 1600. The TX5 was at F3.5 and ISO 3200. The first image is the LX5, the second the TX5. I think they speak for themselves.

I had high hopes for the LX5 based on the glowing reviews. It does feel and look nice but in the end I prefer function over form.