1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LX100 Shots Using 4K Photo Mode

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Wasabi Bob, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I had the opportunity to play with the new LX100 for a few days. I was particularly interested in its new 4K Photo mode. Panasonic just announced that the next GH4 firmware update will add 4K photo mode and several other new features. I really like street photography, but lack the personality to walk up to a stranger and start shooting. 4K Photo mode allows you to capture a few seconds of candid video and choose the image of your choice. I’m really liking it!

Had a problem posting photos from Flickr, so here’s the link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/sets/72157647696318481/

• Like Like x 9
  2. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Oh I see so it's an actual mode. It's not like you're shooting a standard 4k video for minutes at a time and taking still from that. If you were to do that would results be not as good? Curious why it's a separate mode rather then just pulling still from the standard 4k. Maybe the burst is higher bit rate?

3. Wasabi Bob

It's Video Optimized for Stills

You could do it that way, but the default shutter speed would be 1/30th sec. Depending on the subject, that could result in some motion blur within each still image. According to the press release, 4K Photo mode uses a faster shutter speed and allows you to choose the aspect ratio. In addition, it saves the still image with embedded EXIF data.

I've done the manual extraction from 4K video which is easy and can be done in camera. Until you actually try this, there will be many skeptics. Think about it, it simplifies capturing lightning photos and you can do focus stacking so much faster and easier.

• Like Like x 2
  4. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Ahh good points thank you. Also, what about hitting the shutter during video does it take snaps in that regard as well? You wouldn't happen to have tested 1080p mode plus hitting shutter? It would be great if we can get full resolution stills while shooting 1080p. I know some sonys do it not sure if any of the new Panasonics do.

5. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    whoa that is super cool. so this is what they meant by the "beginning of the end of photography"

6. estarkey7

estarkey7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 27, 2014
    USA
    Can it save files in RAW format in this mode?

7. Wasabi Bob

RAW

I don't think so.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    What's the point of 4K stills? I'm not quite sure why these are useful/important.

9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I imagine it could be useful if, for example you want to capture something very fast moving and dynamic, for arguments sake your kid jumping in the pool and you want to capture the precise moment of 'splash'....record the 5 second sequence in 4K then extract the exact moment.

• Like Like x 2
  10. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Think of it as 30fps 8mp burst where you can pick specific frames to save. Benefits seem obvious no? For me when there are moments I want to capture video and stills to share 8k has some additional benefits. Like my son playing sports or singing happy birthdays or any first times when I'd rather capture video I can pull stills to share or put in an album while still capture it in motion. I know when I'm taking pictures of my son scoring a goal I get upset I wasn't shooting video. Or if I was shooting video I wish I had a sweet still. Now you get both! =)

• Like Like x 1
  11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks guys. So it's not about taking 1 still in 4K, it's about taking hi res video, (at super high speed) so you can extract a frame.

But if you are shooting someone in highspeed at 1/30 (or 1/24), wouldn't the still be blurry??

12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
  13. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Very nice!

14. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    You can set your shutter speed in video much higher if the intention is to pull stills.

15. Wasabi Bob

Try it, you'll like it!

Ever try taking a group photo and getting everyone to look their best in one still shot? Shoot 4 seconds of 4K video and you have 120 stills to choose from. It's the kind of feature that you can't appreciate until you try it.

16. Wasabi Bob

Yes, and that's where the 4K video mode improves it. Each individual frame is exposed at a higher shutter speed. I heard ~ 1/180th. So you get 30 images/sec, each exposed as 1/180th sec.

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Bob... thanks very much for posting this! I can see the significant value of this mode of capture.

Looking at your images, the IQ seems to be very good, from what can be observed in this manner of presentation.

Did you get enough of a feel from your time making images with the camera as to whether the lens seems close in IQ to a premium lens, like the 12-35?

Did you at least get the impression that the lens renders images of noticeably higher quality than kit lenses, such as the 14-42's and the 12-32?

18. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Believe me, once you've experienced the clarity and detail of 4K video (I've had a GH4 since May) and the ability to capture detailed 8MP stills from any frame of the video, both in camera and during editing, you could never go back to a non-4K camera except for shooting stills where the subject has no motion.

Looks like Panasonic is on a sales roll with three affordable, high demand models; the GH4, FZ1000 and LX100. Canikon are way behind now as they don't have any affordable 4K models. Hope Olympus jumps into the 4K world soon with a model that combines 5-axis stabilization with 4K.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Neat thing about the LX100 is that it combines GX7 sensor 4K with Power OIS, which is good for close to 3 stops....that on top of all the other goodies....EVF, multi-aspect sensor, etc etc. I have quite a bit of travel coming up and of this year and early next year (Gold Coast and then Japan) and the LX100 is likre a dream come true giving me GX7 standard stills and 4K video (I'll only be using 1080 though) in a very neat and convenient all-in-one little package.

• Like Like x 2
  20. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Forgot about the power ois, those with wide lenses and power ois can you share your experiences with video compared to 5-axis? I've had a wide mega ois and for sure at wide angles it wasn't anywhere near as useful as 5-axis. Is power ois better? Just asking so with LX100 shooting wide hoping it's stabilizer like 5-axis Olympus cameras.