1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LX100 + off-camera TTL flash

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Soffritto, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Soffritto

Soffritto Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2010
    I recently bought an LX100 and am loving it so far. I'd like to get a powerful compatible TTL flash and use it off-camera (because the LX100 is so tiny) with a TTL-compatible cord. The manual doesn't say if this works and I have not found anything from Googling either, but I have found threads where it shows some Panasonic cameras may not have full TTL abilities.

Does anyone know if the LX100 can handle TTL via an off-shoe cord? I am looking into flashes like the Olympus FL-50R, Nissin i40 and Panasonic DMW-FL580.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If it works fine on the shoe, it should work fine with a TTL chord too. My GM5 has the same little flash as the LX100 and it works with the i40 just fine using a knock-off Canon 4 pin TTL chord. Only downside is that the GM5 (and other Panasonic bodies with the stepper shutter) is limited to 1/50s flash sync and doesn't support FP mode... AFAIK the LX100 doesn't have that limitation.

3. Soffritto

Soffritto Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2010
    I see B&H sells a knockoff Canon (plastic?) cord for $15 and a (metal?) Canon one for $70. Huge difference!

4. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

The Nissin works perfectly well off camera, and wirelessly, using the tiny thing, that came with the camera, as the commander.

5. Soffritto

Soffritto Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2010
    Does the camera really need to use the tiny flash? I thought the whole point of TTL was that it measured through the lens and therefore would instantly control any flash (on camera or off-camera via cord) by reading the scene and adjusting immediately. (I could be wrong about this.)

My main previous experience with flash was with a Vivitar 285HV off-camera with a cord, where an Auto-module sensor plugged into the hotshoe and determined needed flash exposure - it ignored the camera (which was just set to flash sync speed) and read the light for the scene no matter where the flash itself was aimed (at the subject, to the ceiling, etc)

6. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    The little flash sends the communications signal to the big off camera flash. There is no cable connecting the big flash to the camera. It is done with the little flash.

7. Soffritto

Soffritto Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2010
    Sounds good. So, I can bounce the Nissin at the ceiling or a side wall and the TTL flash should take care of it, yes? If so, I'll probably pick one up soon.

8. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I don't have the Nissin but I use the FL300R, FL600R, and a Metz 52AFII and they all work that way. The only caveat seems to be that the off camera flash must be able to see the light from the on camera flash. For my little arrangements, this has never failed. I have read complaints about the system (camera not talking to off camera flash due to distance, blockages, etc) for more complex or large shooting arrangements.

9. Soffritto

Soffritto Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2010
    Hmm, this concerns me a little, because when I've used flash off-camera in the past (with an SLR and a Vivitar flash in auto mode, connected by cable) I could aim the flash behind me or to the side without worrying about the flash not going off. That's what I want, really. The alternative would be using a more powerful, less expensive manual flash and having to deal with the necessary calculations and guesstimating (which would be considerable if I wanted to catch a moment while aiming the flash to bounce off a side wall). Sigh. I wish the options were better and the TTL more robust - it's just much easier to do this with off-camera TTL on a Nikon (for example), albeit with a $550 flash.

10. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    For the FL600R, the flash can rotate all the way around. I typically point the body of the flash towards me and then the flash itself towards the ceiling/wall/or target as needed. For me, the system works. I am not a pro, however, and do not setup too elaborate of a setup. I use a flash in an umbrella and have used this outside with no problems so far. It would be good if you could borrow a flash and try it.

11. Soffritto

Soffritto Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2010
    Thanks. My LX100 is so small I don't want to put a big flash on it (but I want a more substantial flash - preferably TTL). So I am trying to understand if the Olympus/Panasonic TTL standard requires a flash to be aimed at the subject for pre-flash purposes or whether I can simply plug an appropriate off-shoe cord to the hotshoe, attach a flash that I hold in my left hand (or put on a stand) and aim anywhere I want and get proper TTL flash. This is easy on my old Nikon system, but it's not clear to me that I can do this with the LX100.