LX100 Mark II Long-Term Reports?

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Yes, good point, I think I've gone too far with good primes to be satisfied with what is essentially, despite the larger aperture and Leica badging, a kit lens. Bring on the prime LX100!

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Agreed - the lens on the LX100 was no more than "acceptable". The old 20mm f1.7 on a GX8, Pen-F or even the EM10.2 would make a much better quality option - but of course you'll lose the zoom. Unfortunately, we all need to make compromises somewhere.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Agreed - the lens on the LX100 was no more than "acceptable". The old 20mm f1.7 on a GX8, Pen-F or even the EM10.2 would make a much better quality option - but of course you'll lose the zoom. Unfortunately, we all need to make compromises somewhere.
That's true, however the way I've been feeling lately about M4/3 sensors is that they actually render details really well when the lens is quite sharp, but if there's a lack of microcontrast or sharpness, the list detail gets noisy and muddy, rather than smoothing out. Maybe this is just an overall digital problem. But I've come to look for very sharp lenses almost exclusively - possible exception being the Oly 17mm pancake.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Well, the LX100II is gone, and as far as I'm able to formulate my thoughts, it is a really nice small camera. If I were primarily in need of small, and didn't have another small digital camera already, I think it would be almost perfect. But it helped me cement the idea that I don't want all of my digital bodies to be super small. I was surprisingly able to overcome my distaste of power zooms with the excellent step zoom, the build quality was impressive, and the EVF is actually at its least annoying on this body, probably due to expectations. I wasn't entirely sold on the lens IQ, but other than that, it's an excellent camera. Robustness I am less sure of, it didn't "feel" like a camera that would keep going for years and years with no problems, but I know plenty of people have had original LX100s that are still going strong.

IronChef

Mu-43 Regular
I had the original LX100 then a Canon G1XM3 and now a LX100M2.

It's size and controls make it a camera I pick up and take with me often.
However I find diffraction at higher apertures is quite noticeable and I want a higher resolution EVF in future.

I've just bought a used LX100 mkii which should arrive next week. It was one camera I immediately loved when trying one in a camera store when they came out. Looking at photos made with my long-gone LX100, which had a certain special quality I've been yet to see from my ICL cameras, made me do it! I'm hoping it will curb my desire for / fulfil the role of a wide prime or P12-35/2.8 or PL12-60. For all that I love the output of primes, I find myself frequently frustrated when I can't zoom.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've just bought a used LX100 mkii which should arrive next week. It was one camera I immediately loved when trying one in a camera store when they came out. Looking at photos made with my long-gone LX100, which had a certain special quality I've been yet to see from my ICL cameras, made me do it! I'm hoping it will curb my desire for / fulfil the role of a wide prime or P12-35/2.8 or PL12-60. For all that I love the output of primes, I find myself frequently frustrated when I can't zoom.
Well, I'm not going to be much help to you, I'm a confirmed prime fan, and just picked up a Panny Lumix G 12-35mm f/2.8 II on sale. With Panny's $200 cash back. $745 delivered to my door, from Ryda dot com. It's a lovely little lens, from the brief time I've spent with it so far. I reckon it would go really well on your GX9, as it goes really nicely with my GX8 😝
I bought it to replace my 12-32, the constant aperture and weather sealing. I reckon it will make a really really nice walkaround kit when paired with my Laowa 10mm. Kind of a poor man's PL10-25. But half the weight.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not going to be much help to you, I'm a confirmed prime fan, and just picked up a Panny Lumix G 12-35mm f/2.8 II on sale. With Panny's $200 cash back. $745 delivered to my door, from Ryda dot com. It's a lovely little lens, from the brief time I've spent with it so far. I reckon it would go really well on your GX9, as it goes really nicely with my GX8 😝
I bought it to replace my 12-32, the constant aperture and weather sealing. I reckon it will make a really really nice walkaround kit when paired with my Laowa 10mm. Kind of a poor man's PL10-25. But half the weight.
Congratulations! I hope you'll have a long and happy life together 😉

What quality (if you can pin it down) did the LX100 files have for you?
Something organic about the out of focus areas, is my uneducated feeling. I used it at a friend's wedding on a blazing summer afternoon, and I just loved how those images were rendered. As with other Leica-branded mu43 lenses I've seen images from, it had that hard to define Leica look - I've only owned the 45mm macro, but it had a special look that I miss.

My LX100m2 arrived yesterday, and I had such joy unboxing it! It's so sleek, small, and beautifull-weighted; I love the knurled shutter speed and EVF dials, and the continuous ring (instead of my preferred D-pad) around the menu button isn't driving me crazy, nor is the lack of tilting screen. It was a lovely reward to myself for having completed some gruelling training for work.

During the sale negotiation I made a new friend: the seller, who I know not from Adam, once lived a short drive from where I grew up, and we found he now has a cousin living in my current community in a different state, while he lives in yet another state. I so enjoy these kinds of connections, they make a purchase feel more special.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My LX100m2 arrived yesterday, and I had such joy unboxing it! It's so sleek, small, and beautifull-weighted; I love the knurled shutter speed and EVF dials, and the continuous ring (instead of my preferred D-pad) around the menu button isn't driving me crazy, nor is the lack of tilting screen. It was a lovely reward to myself for having completed some gruelling training for work.

During the sale negotiation I made a new friend: the seller, who I know not from Adam, once lived a short drive from where I grew up, and we found he now has a cousin living in my current community in a different state, while he lives in yet another state. I so enjoy these kinds of connections, they make a purchase feel more special.
I'll be interested to hear how you get along with it. I bought an LX7 quite a few years back, and really liked it. Except that the sensor was a bit on the small side, and it really struggled in low light. I kind of gave up on it, when my phone could take cleaner shots in low light. It was really nice to use, the focal range was excellent, menus good, and had a really good manual control setup. The LX100 would solve that with the larger sensor.
I had a Canon 550D at the time, and the little LX was quite a revelation in a lot of ways, and got me looking at m4/3.

I'll be interested to hear how you get along with it. I bought an LX7 quite a few years back, and really liked it. Except that the sensor was a bit on the small side, and it really struggled in low light. I kind of gave up on it, when my phone could take cleaner shots in low light. It was really nice to use, the focal range was excellent, menus good, and had a really good manual control setup. The LX100 would solve that with the larger sensor.
I had a Canon 550D at the time, and the little LX was quite a revelation in a lot of ways, and got me looking at m4/3.
At heart, I think I'm a "serious compacts" kinda shooter, at least most days. Having a compact with a micro four thirds sensor with a nice zoom and EVF is great - I can keep it in my bag (taking turns with my Fuji X-30, which is only slightly larger) and have confidence that I can cover most everyday situations without much compromise.

I am hoping that it might be useful indoors, although I'd need to think of it as an f2.8 constant aperture, as the speed drops of quickly with zooming.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
At heart, I think I'm a "serious compacts" kinda shooter, at least most days. Having a compact with a micro four thirds sensor with a nice zoom and EVF is great - I can keep it in my bag (taking turns with my Fuji X-30, which is only slightly larger) and have confidence that I can cover most everyday situations without much compromise.

I am hoping that it might be useful indoors, although I'd need to think of it as an f2.8 constant aperture, as the speed drops of quickly with zooming.
When I was using it I treated it like a f2.8 constant aperture lens as well. It is a truly nice camera in all respects. If I'd had it for long enough to get a leather half case for it I might've been swayed, something to add just a bit of bulk to fill out the hand was what the handling lacked for me, and the black knurled dials would have gone really well with a rich, dark brown! Just a hint! Hahah.

I like using scarves as both carry strap and bag wrap, and they're easily coordinated with my outfits 😊
01246044-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
For those with the mk II, it would be good to know if you’re having issues with either dust on the sensor or focus unreliability. Aside from the lack of tilting screen, it’s these two that put me off since I had both when I ran the Mark I for a little while. The focusing in particular was a big issue. I’m a pretty experienced photographer and have used many, many cameras but the LX100 was the first where I suffered from a high degree of seriously-out-of-focus shots. It was worst at long distances - which is pretty much what I mostly use.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom