LX100 making me sell my M43 system

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by bobbywise, Sep 17, 2014.

1. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    I got into M43 a while back, and built up a system of lenses as well as camera bodies.
    The Panasonic LX100 (and Leica Type 109) have come along, pretty much making me want to sell off my M43 system.

After using M43, I came to the conclusion that (with the exception of use with a few pancakes) the portability of the camera body was kind of offset by the lens, and not really pocketable. This led me to go into the Fuji X system and the Sony A7.

Of course, I know the primes of the M43 will be better than the LX100. But the LX100 is kind of pocketable.

I'll be sadly selling on my M43 gear, so look out for some ads on here from me !

In an ironic way, I think a great new product like the LX100 has (somewhat to a small level) shot the M43 system in the foot. I think there will be some people out there who may no longer want to maintain an M43 system when they can get a compact M43 body with a built in zoom.
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I'm sure you're not alone. Still, lots of folks want ILCs and, like me, love those primes.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I'm in the same boat, I have my pre-order in and I'm thinking about what items I need to sell to pay for it. First to go was the Panny 25, next I'm thinking about dumping the 12-40, its an amazing lens, but its HUGE and makes my EM5 as big as my DSLR with my 17-50 2.8. Then I'll likely dump my G5..... and maybe one of my EPM2s.
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    It's certainly tempting. Perfect for average person to use while travelling , etc. But it won't do if you need more light , for low light events, better bokeh/more flattering focal length for portraits, longer zoom, etc. Also , you're stuck with this body now and won't be able to upgrade when technology improves.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    The LX100 sure sounds like an amazing camera, able to replace alot of existing lenses.

But nothing is gonna take my the pana 25, pana 42.5 and oly 75 away from me.

Posted from my lovely Samsung Galaxy Note 3.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    You have to view the life cycle of compacts as "upgrading the whole camera" becomes equivalent to "upgrading just the body" for ILCs. The prices are similar.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I've got a preorder in on the LX100, but no way will it replace a GX7 and lenses like the 7-14, 9-18, 25/1.4, 45/1.8, 75/1.8, 100-300, etc. 12mm is a great starting point for the zoom (much better than 14mm), but not near wide enough for much of how I like to shoot.

For me the LX100 will be a convenience camera, not a do-all camera. And if the lens isn't at least somewhat close to the performance of the 12-35, I may return the camera. I give the nod to optical quality over convenience.

The concept of a "pocket camera" is much bandied about. I've never thought of any m4/3 kit, including the GM1 as being a "pocket camera". And I don't begin to even dream about the LX100 falling anywhere close to being a pocket camera. My pocket camera is the iPhone. Aside from that, I want a compact camera that process exceptionally good IQ and handles well in the hand... being pocketable isn't on my radar at all.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. plaatje

plaatje Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    It's tempting, but then there was the GM5. So I can use my PanaLeica 1.4 25mm or the Olympus 1.8 45mm together with that little thing with an EVF. Yeah, life can be hard . . . ;-)
  9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think for folks like the OP, where m4/3s is a smaller alternative to another kit, the LX100 will really be a great option.

For those who use m4/3s as a primary kit, with lots of lenses (longer or wider than LX100 range) it is obviously less compelling. Though I could see people buying the LX100 instead of the 12-35 or 12-40. Especially those who lean toward primes but want a zoom for occasional convenience.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. biza48

biza48 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2014
    It's a completely different camera. It's a large sensor fixed zoom compact, somewhere in size between RX100 and G1X MKII. Nothing to do with a m43 system of cameras and lenses.

Sure, it looks like a good option for travel, for those who want to carry something simple.
  11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I tried the same thing but with the Fuji X10. 28-100 field of view with a fast-ish aperture. I came from Nikon DSLRs and having the ability to change up the lenses to fit my needs eventually made more sense - tried out the Fuji X-E1, wasn't happy with that because of performance issues and finally found the performance I wanted in m43.

I'd be sure that the LX100 has the lens performance and operational speed that is sufficient before dropping the current gear.
  12. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Currently I have two GX1 bodies and was looking at this as a possible replacement for one of them that would allow me to also replace my 14 and 20.

I will wait and see if the quality is good enough before I pull the trigger.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    While I'm not expecting the quality to be as good as the o12-40 or p12-35 I'm hoping it's close and if it is. Man my plans can really change. I'm contemplating just getting a full frame system that has an aps-c compatible body as my main 'quality' shooter. If the e-mount was just a bit more mature I'd be done. Thinking to get a combination of aps-c and full frame e-mount as my main system. Gives me WAY better DOF control and low light overall. Thing that keeps me to m43 is mostly at this point (since my lens needs are mostly covered in e-mount now) are 5-axis (I feel like I'm cheating with it on it's so good) and incredible autofocus (a6000 matches that now). If the E-M1 gets the 4k I may hold on a little longer but if not the LX100 covers 80% of the shots I take (family). The 20% specialty shots I won't mind the slightly bigger rig to m43.

LX100 is definately a troublemaker. It's causing some stir for sure.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I don't know about replacing M43 (I'm primarily a prime shooter), but I know I was craving a 12-35/40mm before, and now I'm craving this. It's the same cost, or less, and comes with a whole body attached!

It's a little puzzling how the LX100 fits into Panasonic's ecosystem.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I think quite a few people are worried about the lens quality when they shouldn't. Panasonic does not make bad glass, some are just slower than others, but as a whole, fantastic lenses.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I had the LX7 and the glass was outstanding. At 12mp I typically had sharper images to my current rx100 and it's 20mp. Very noticable even without pixel peeping (mostly wide open stopped down it narrows quite a bit). Ditched the LX7 though for high ISO noise which is now much less of an issue for the LX100 =).

In short I'll be shocked if the glass is just 'good' if not great.
  17. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Theo K.
    Totally agree with the quality of the LX7 lens. That lens is a lot better than the sensor and processing engine in that camera.

For me, though the LX100 is very attractive, I have invested too much on prime lenses to justify getting this new camera. This mindset may change if the LX100 lens excels.
  18. JasonA

JasonA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    To me it seems like a perfect second body camera, good for easy compact carry. I can't see it replacing my primary camera because it lacks reach, lacks the bokeh ability of nice primes, and will not be as nice to use with a motorized zoom and fewer controls. I still want one though!
  19. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Well LX100 is going to replace my GM1, pancake lens and 12-35mm lens like how FZ1000 replace my G6+14-140mm lens.

But it will never replace the core M43 system I am using for video
  20. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    The size of the viewfinder in the A6000 compared to the EM-1 sucks.