Review LX100 Long term review

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
In June of 2015 the Panasonic LX100 was the first MFT camera I purchased. And the one that opened up a new world of video/photo for me. Thus, it's time to give my LX100 a long term review.

PROS:
The Panasonic LX100 has great low light video ability due to the fast DC Vario-Summilux 10.9-34mm Leica f/1.7-2.8 matching lens for the multi aspect ratio sensor. For photo it's also a great combination for low light shots when a small camera is needed.
Below the first video I did shooting 4K with the LX100.

Also, the egronomics and handling were superb. Great button layout with with premium feel to the button press, and dial turns. The ability to change aperture with the lens' aperture ring and adjust shutter with a dial that has markings was something I missed from the SLR days.

Auto Focus is super fast and accurate on the LX100 using one area with AF+Manual using the back button AF. And the Back Button was in a good position easy to use, and rarely missed a shot shooting from the hip. The LX100 also has a button layout similar to many other Lumix cameras, which make for a great second body while shooting 2 cameras.

The zoom lens has options for how it zooms. I liked the mechanical zoom which works great for smooth zoom while video shooting. I used it a lot for that movement effect when using the LX100 as a dash cam. Example can be seen in this video:

All the features of Lumix mid priced cameras were there in the LX100. As was the interval timer and a 60 second shutter exposure. A huge amount of focus options, and it came with a charger for the BLG-10PP which is the same battery for the GX85 and GX9.

Nevertheless, there were a few issues with the LX100 that made me up grade.

CONS:
One major issues I had was the long exposure high ISO photography shots. If you've shot Lumix cameras 4 years ago, you likely know that shooting long exposure high ISO for the milky way, or night landscape shots will produce little specks on the photo if you turn off in camera NR. They look like dead pixels. And when doing time lapse at night, it can be a problem. The only work around is to use in camera NR and double the time between shots.

However, the main issue I had with the LX100 was the dust on sensor. The sensor dust became apparent after 2 years shooting at f/16 in bright sun. After 3 years the dust showed up at f/8 in the bright sun, but only the big pieces showed up. Thus, not a huge issue for photo, as they can be removed fast and simple in editing. But for video, shooting f/8 was common when depth was needed, and on days of clear sky it was a problem.

The Aftermath:
After 3 years of hard use as my main 4K video camera and backup for DSLRs, it was time to upgrade because of the dust. Nevertheless, the LX100 served me well, and helped me get a lot of content that my DSLRs could not do. After experiencing the ability of what that little camera could do, I upgraded to the Lumix GX85 for a replacement. Today, the LX100 is used for personal pics and documentation and random around the home video and photo. It is still a formidable camera for low light video and photo, and still a lot of fun to shoot with.

Anyway, that's my take on the Panasonic LX100. A fine camera that I'm grateful to have experienced. Below the final 4K video where I used the LX100:

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom