1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LX100 and GM5 too similar? Replace the GM5 with?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by davidzvi, Aug 14, 2015.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I just sold off my E-M10 to pick up the LX100, and I love the LX100. But I'm finding it's really not that much bigger than the GM5. Sure the LX100 is 7mm taller, 17mm wider, heavier. but the depth, even with the compact 12-32, is the same if not 1-2mm more.

So I'm starting to think maybe I should have sold off the GM5 and not the E-M10. But since all my glass is Panasonic and the LX100 and GX7 take the same batteries maybe I should sell the GM5 for a GX7.

Main reason for thinking about it is for longer lenses. Right now I have the 35-100 f/3.5-5.6, but have considered the 45-150 or one of the 14-140/150 depending on if I were to get a GX7 or another E-M10.

Or will the 45-150 /14-140 handle fine on the smaller GM5?

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Or get a G7 or GH4 and bring video into your business. Decisions...

3. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I have no problem using 45-150 and 14-140 on gm5. I used to use 14-150 on Olympus cameras and bought the 14-140 to replace/use it with gm5. I use it with the small grip.

@140mm
    original.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Just from my experience of using an adapted 135/2.8 on a GF3, I would say that the imbalance of a big lens on a little camera looks bigger to the eye than it feels in the hand. Or hands.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    This stiff is my just for fun / personal use, not my event work. And I have no interest in adding it for events. I work with several others that cover that end of things.

I thought about the G7, but I'm trying to keep this kit so it all fits in a Retrospective 5. Arbitrary I know, but the G7 with something like the 14-140 attached is just a little to big. I'd have to sell off a few other things for it all to fit, I checked.

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you're happy with the size etc of the LX100, I'd definitely rather have sold the GM5 (and I have a GM5). The LX100 is more versatile as a secondary camera IMO (it has way better flash sync and video options). I wanted the ability to mount my fast primes as a backup to my E-M1 in a small and an (almost) equivalent IQ package though, so ruled out the LX100.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. darrellc

darrellc Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I have the GM5 and it works just fine ergonomically for me with the 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8. As noted above, looks strange but just fine in hand for me.

I bought the GM5 as backup/smaller option to the GH4 over the LX100 due to ability to share lenses.

Now that I've decided to focus on Sony A7x as my primary system, I bought an LX100 as a backup camera and plan to sell the GM5 as the LX100 is a better one camera backup solution (stabilization, 4K video, don't have to decide what lenses to bring and 24-70 covers 90% of what I shoot).

8. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    David, I would have kept the E-M10. I know I'm biased because it's my go-to camera, but I own the LX100 and have tried the GM5, and while the GM5 is a fine camera that's a huge step forward from the GM1, it just doesn't handle like the E-M10 - the latter's control scheme as well as the shape and effect of the additional grip are simply superior, as is the EVF, though not by as big a margin as one might think. The same is true for the LX100 versus the GM5 - the LX100 just handles a lot better.

The GM5 has a couple of technical things going for it apart from its size, like the electronic shutter, but on the other hand, this can have its negatives (jello ...). I found it actually too compact for my liking - not enough surface to grab, so to speak, and too small (and few) controls where it counts - control dial, AEL button ... That's why I bought an E-PL7 as a (cheap) second body - it's more comparable with a GM1 in terms of features, but much more comparable with a E-M10 in terms of handling, and it feels very good in the hand. I do miss the EVF sometimes, but the screen is quite good even in direct light.

What I'd want is an LX100 body with interchangeable lenses - not the GX7 or GX8, something like the LX100 with its size and control scheme. It'd be rather difficult to reproduce the LX100 experience, though - the two rings on the lens make a lot of difference. So it'll probably never happen ...

M.

9. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    This is one of my reasons for getting the LX100. It really can cover 50-75% of everything (non event related) I tend to shoot. So much so that there's a part of me that thinks I should sell the m4/3 stuff for something like the FZ1000 or new FZ300. Just not sure I can go that far.

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The real annoying thing is I was just starting to think along these lines when my 45-175mm and the E-M10 sold on Amazon after 3-4 weeks.

Live and learn (or what's the point of living).

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well the GM5 is gone. Got a nice deal on a GX7 kit. It takes the batteries as the LX100, so that's a plus. Selling off the kit lens since I already have the 12-32. Also got a nice Pan 45-200 that will cover baseball games and the occasional trip to a zoo and the like. Now for something wide, I'll probably just pick up a 7.5 fish unless anyone has a cheaper option for something wider than 12mm. I have the 9mm bcl but want something a bit better.

12. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    David: Take the 7.5mm - it's not only a fun lens, but also a surprisingly good performer. Other than that, there's also the Voigtländer 10.5mm - but that one's huge and expensive. f/0.95 is intriguing - but I just can't imagine shooting a 21mm equivalent at that aperture most of the time ...

M.

• Agree Agree x 1