1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LVF1 on GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Warren T., Nov 17, 2010.

1. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    hi Folks, I finally got my LVF1 in the mail. I was wondering if anyone has their LVF1 mounted more or less permanently on the GF1. And if so, are there any technical drawbacks why it shouldn't be left on all the time? I ask because for me, the LVF1 is an essential part of the camera.

Thanks,

Warren

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Warren,
    Good question. I have the finder and use it just sometimes. I don't think it will hurt anything. Just keep an eye on your battery.
    By the way, I actually like it very much on the LX5. It uses the same finder.
    don

• Like Like x 1
  3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    My only concern is me snapping it off. I generally have the GF1 in a bag when I'm going from place to place, so leaving the EVF on worries me a bit. Other than that, I don't see a problem keeping it on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

I leave mine on all the time. I have two GF1s both with LVFs mounted basically permanently. They're very robust and have taken a beating during some heavy use. I haven't noticed any significant battery depletion. I would suggest not leaving it in the upright or "unlocked" position when not in use though...

Cheers
    Jeff

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mine is never off the camera and I've never noticed a disadvantage to it being there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    Thanks guys. I thought it would be okay, just wanted to see who else has it on permanently. It does seem very robust. --Warren

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    actually, i didn't get the battery comment from Streetshooter. Part of why I love the EVF is my battery lasts forever relative to using the LCD. Ok, not Canon BP511 forever, but it lasts a good while.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dsteady

dsteady Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    Chicago
    I'm leaving mine on all the time, but then my GF-1 kit is only a few weeks old. I actually enjoy using the LVF1 too. A lot of people complain about the poor IQ, but I think that makes me pay more attention to composition, makes me think a little more about the shot.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    When we went on our Alaska cruise vacation last September, I used my G1 and GF1 together, and I found myself putting the GF1 up to eye-level, and looking over the GF1 into space because I didn't have the LVF1 yet :). I didn't have time to order the LVF1 yet because I purchased my GF1 only days before my trip.

Now that I have the LVF1, I find that I may have been spoiled by the amazing EVF of my G1. I have not had a chance to take the GF1/LVF1 into the field yet, but while playing around with it at home, I have my concerns about IQ of the LVF1 as well. Since it is the GF1's only EVF option at the moment, I'll just have to get used to it, I suppose.

10. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Leave it on all the time. It's hinged and "snaps" into locked position... but if you catch it on anything it can "unsnap" and bend at the hinge enough to keep from getting ripped off.

Never had an issue with it. Great for outdoors in bright light.

A must have!

Two thumbs up!

Recommended by Oprah!

• Like Like x 1
  11. nolaSafari

nolaSafari Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    New Orleans
    WARNING ABOUT LEAVING LVF1 ON ALL THE TIME

I do leave mine on all the time but I am now on my second one. I went to my sons high school football game and on the way out it started to rain so I tucked the camera under my arm up close to the arm pit and the LVF1 was pushed right off. I didn't know it was off until a few days later when I took the camera out of the bag I had hurriedly put it in when I got to the car. It took another 2 days of going over every step and action to figure out what had happened.

On another note I just got a leather case for the GF1, I sure like the scent when you use the LVF1, smells like rich Corinthian Leather.

• Like Like x 1