1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LVF1 and manual focus

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RichDesmond, Jan 9, 2012.

1. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    For those of you with the LVF1, how useful is it for manual focusing? Trying to use the LCD with adapted lenses in bright sun is difficult at best, is the LVF1 usable for that?

On a related note, anyone use one of these?

NIB 3" LCD Viewfinder for Panasonic GF1/GF2 LVF-43 4:3 Finder Camera | eBay

Thoughts on it? Good, bad, indifferent? Possible to use with glasses?

Thanks.

2. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    I've still found myself zooming in the image with the lvf1 to manual focus similar to zooming in the lcd

3. RichDesmond

Nov 18, 2011
    Ah, I didn't realize the LVF image zoomed the way the LCD does, good to know.
    Do you find that focusing is about as easy with the LCD, or is using the LCD a lot better?

4. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I find focusing with the LVF easier than with the LCD but not my all that much. However, I need reading glasses, so for me it's definitely worth it, better adjusting the dioptres once at the LVF than fiddling with glasses all the time....

Stefan

5. RichDesmond

Nov 18, 2011
    Awesome, thanks for the help. :)

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    One thing to keep in mind is that when zoomed in, camera shake can be an issue when focusing. Advantage of the LVF is that the camera is braced against your face which tends to limit shake compared to using the back LCD.

DH

7. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    Its about the same, but easier with lvf1 due to less shake like dhazeghi mentioned. Plus it works pretty good for framing

Found using it I was getting better images on my gf1 without shake, without it I had more shake in lower light that I did not have on my ep1 with ibs

8. For composing and manual focusing I would have a difficult time without the LVF-1. Hurt to spend the $s on a low res evf. But no real other option.

Same situation. Plus I find the lcd on the GF-1 to be too weak under bright conditions. One hiccup I have been experiencing is the diopter adjustment dial on the LVF-1 seems to turn too easy. Need to refocus it to the correct correction on a regular basis. Must be rotate the dial when pulling or replacing the camera into bag. Not an issue with the G2 diopter adjustment dial. Good news is the I can adjust the LVF-1 dial wearing a light liner type of glove or when the fingers are a bit numb from the cold.

9. RichDesmond

Nov 18, 2011
    Thanks everyone, I guess y'all just cost me some money! :smile: