1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Luray Caverns

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Narnian, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I had planned on setting this up after my vacation where we were going to visit Luray Caverns in Virginia but ran into a small snag. I reached into my trunk and pulled our my GX1 and realized I had left the battery in the charger back at the cabin an hour away. :mad:

Luckily I had my emergency camera, my LX5, with me so all was not lost but I had really hoped to shoot the cave with my GX1 and the 14mm. I debated about showing these as they are not m43 but, what the heck.

I highly recommend Luray as one of the best commercial caves anywhere - they have more formations per square inch than any cave I have been in (and I have been in dozens of commercial caves and dozens more wild caves).

All shots were "natural" light :tongue: - no flash.

[​IMG]

P1010433-L. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

P1010425-L.

Notice the 4' railing in the lower left corner to get an idea of the size of some of the rooms.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  2. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I think the wide one looks best. The last time I went to Luray I only had a cheap point and shoot and the shots weren't even in the same league as this. I didn't know the LX5 did that well in low light. I'm impressed.

3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thanks for sharing. What lens did you use for the wide photo.

Thought you would enjoy following links if you are unaware of the Giant Crystal Cave in Naica, Mexico. It's a pretty severe environment!

Here 1.

Here 2.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    It's been over four decades since I visited that part of my home State.

You did a god job with the LX5.

Thanks for sharing those images.

5. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Now I want to try that too! Luray is >2 hours away, but Dixie Caverns is close.

Thanks for posting these!

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

The little Panny ( and you) did well.

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Very cool.

Unfortunately, me and the wife just watched the horror movie, The Descent..so I may not see another cave anytime soon. :p

• Like Like x 2
  8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Thanks for sharing the photos! The LX5 performed very well in this low light environment!

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The LX5 did better than expected so I am not that disappointed I forgot my GX1 battery.

Most shots were at 5.1mm (full frame 24mm equivalent zoom) between f2.5 and f2.8. The shutter speeds were generally between 1/5 sec and 1/15 sec so the image stabilization did a good job. It does help that the subject matter moves very, very slowly :D

I did shoot RAW and did some Adobe Lightroom post processing to reduce the noise and recover some of the highlights.

The cavern operators have done a very good job with the lighting and deserve credit for an excellent presentation. All of the colors are natural (or as natural as possible under artificial lighting).

• Like Like x 1