1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

lunar eclipse

Discussion in 'Nature' started by dapipoy, Jun 15, 2011.

1. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
    has anybody catched the blood red moon today? was waiting for it but it was too cloudy. :(

2. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

Well maybe it'll cheer you up to know that for me as well the moon was hiding behind a cloud the entire time... And now it's hanging all brightly in the sky of course, taunting me.

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Same here, too cloudy.
    And I had it all set up ! 2 cameras on tripods, long focal length mirror lenses, ...

Ungrateful moon !!!!

C U
    Rafael

4. Osang

Osang Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2011
    Northern Marianas
    Well, I saw it this early morning, reddish color.

5. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    We were out of the house by 430 and took a while to get set-up, but did manage to capture a series after the eclipse started. And just as the moon was reappearing - the clouds rolled in :-(

I've never tried shooting like this before and didn't realize that it would be next to impossible to refocus after I lost it. I caught glimpses of it with my eye, but nothing long enough to pull a detailed shot. Did snap one long exposure that caught part of it.

Maybe next time

Attached Files:

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The lunar eclipse that took place couple nights ago happened at the perfect time for us in HK, starting at 7:30 pm and ending at 1:30 pm. It was also a clear night, so the settings were perfect to capture the lunar eclipse. Unfortunately, the Oly 14-150mm was the longest lens I had with me at the time, so the shots I captured were not that great. I will post the photos as soon as I get home tonight.

7. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I got the date mixed up (a day late) and ended up with this :redface: :tongue:

i-gL7xRq3-L.

8. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I was not aware of the lunar eclipse :frown:
    Still, I was outside when the moon rose above the horizon in our village, and managed to shoot this one :

sized_p1010781.

GH2 with 14-45 at 45 (I did not bring a longer lens ... :mad:)

C U,
    Rafael​

9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    We had a good opportunity for it..but 4 am was abit too early/late for me.

And I got intimidated by all the guides to eclipse photography...was kind of discouraged. Maybe next time.

10. photobizzz

photobizzz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    I am out in the open desert in Kuwait and got to see it with my eyes, no photos taken as my longest lens is a 100mm equiv Leitz Summarit but it was pretty cool. With almost zero light pollution the desert is a prime spot for stellar photography.

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    As mentioned in my last post, here it is:

[​IMG]

First shot taken at 6:48 pm: ISO-200 1/320s f/8
    Second shot taken at 9:23 pm: ISO-200 1/250s f/8
    Full eclipse shot taken at 10:19 pm: ISO-800 1/2s f/8
    Taken with my E-P3 & Oly 14-150mm on tripod. Again, wish I had a longer zoom, but it's better than nothing, I guess...

• Like Like x 5
  12. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    I shot a series of images of the eclipse but pulled a stupid move for the umbra shots adding time to my shutter rather than upping my iso. All include motion blur as the moon tracked to the horizon. Next time?

Images shot with a Canon FD 300mm f4 on an Olympus e-p3;

Lunar Eclipse 12-10-2011 - a set on Flickr

13. thanks hkpzee

Have not seen the sun, stars or moon for a few days. Fog, drizzle, frizzle, snow, low heavy clouds. My world is a monotone grey. Thanks for the images.

• Like Like x 2
  14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The umbra shots require completely different settings than the other moon shots. I quickly realized that when I took the first shot of it with similar settings to my previous shots, except for slightly slower shutter speed, and the shot displayed complete darkness:eek:

I played around with the settings and only managed this one noisy, but semi-decent shot... The other shots were either too noisy or blurry... The gusting wind didn't help either...

15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

P4157242cropsmall.
    Here is my best shot. This was a LOT harder than shooting the regular moon! At least the sky was totally clear, although it was a bit cold as a cold front had passed through the night before.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I also posted this in the Moon shoots thread

My wife got me up at 1:20 MT to see the moon. I then attempted to photo the Blood Moon. First off, the tripod I was going to use wouldn't lock. Luckily I had a back-up. My AF was useless, my MF was almost as bad. I'm 3/4 asleep and I can't see anything because I don't have my glasses on. I took a dozen photos and had 1 or 2 that were reasonably clear. The moon was partially eclipsed at this point, but it doesn't show in my photo, don't know what happened with this.

Blood Moon 1;27 AM MT
    13874720164_a60b72de45_b.
    1_27 AM MT-1012256
    by Harvey Richards, on Flickr
    E-M10
    M Zuiko 75-300mm @ 300mm
    f/6.7
    ISO 640
    2.5 sec.

I went back to bed and the alarm I had set for 2:40 AM went off and I took some more photos. I realized there was a tree in the way, and again without glasses, I thought that I was clear of the tree. Branches are almost visible on the lower left. The moon was significantly brighter this time.

Blood Moon 2:46 AM MT
    13874322435_910fec0d25_b.
    2_46 AM MT-1012266
    by Harvey Richards, on Flickr
    E-M10
    M Zuiko 75-300mm @ 300mm
    f/6.7
    ISO 250
    2.5 sec.​

Both photos are cropped and I possibly sharpened them in Lightroom.

• Like Like x 2