Lumix S1, Focus Bracketing, and Flash

I am curious... for those of you with an S1 or S1R, can you use flash with focus bracketing, or is it simply disabled when you mount a trigger or speedlight to the hot shoe (like it is on all other modern Lumix models).

Appreciate your feedback.

IronOak

Mu-43 Regular
It kind of defeats the purpose so I highly doubt it would bracket but i do not know for sure.

There’s no reason you couldn’t bracket manually with a flash

IronOak

Mu-43 Regular
A flash is typically used for a correct exposure. Without manipulating that to suit your needs or if they specifically wrote software to accommodate a flash when bracketing, it’s using the flash creatively.

Then why not just use a constant light source if in a controlled environment?
Couple of reasons I guess. Lights are hot, or really expensive. More mods for strobes... and IMO much more control over specular highlights.

BTW... your responses seem like you think I am talking about exposure bracketing. I'm not. Focus bracketing for greater DOF.

Stanga

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Those video light arrays would be a good alternative to using flash. Some of them can even be adjusted for colour temperature.

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks guys... but I am really only looking to ascertain whether Panasonic fixed this glaring omission in the S1.
There doesn't seem to be anything about being able to set a flash interval in the manual I'm looking at, and no function to use flash with e-shutter at all.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I guess the key thing is whether you have to use e-shuttter with post focus/focus range/focus stacking modes, it doesn't seem to explicitly say this but I'm guessing it's a yes.

There was the same kind of discussion with Panasonic just not seeming to get what it's for here a while ago when I switched my pre-order over from the G9 to E-M1ii over this issue.

Panasonic G9 high-resolution with strobes?

I'm not talking about focus stacking, rather focus bracketing... and you can set the shutter delay to a valve long enough to let the flash recycle. This all works fine when using the PC Sync port, but is disabled when a speedlight or trigger is mounted on G9 or GH5. I'm trying to determine if the S1 has same limitation.

IronOak

Mu-43 Regular
I'm not talking about focus stacking, rather focus bracketing... and you can set the shutter delay to a valve long enough to let the flash recycle. This all works fine when using the PC Sync port, but is disabled when a speedlight or trigger is mounted on G9 or GH5. I'm trying to determine if the S1 has same limitation.
Do you have a video on this? I’m intrigued and I’m a better visual learner

Real Name
Loren
I don't use Panasonic, and am not very experienced with flash, so take my comment with a grain of salt... but within the Olympus ecosphere, that capability is just as dependent on the flash as it is with the body. I think it has to do with syncing a powerful enough flash recycle rate with the camera's burst rate, and it seems to me it slows the bracketing down a bit on purpose. My FL900R and STF-8 flashes are both able to focus bracket with my E-M1 MkII, but my older FL600R does not.

Maybe Panasonic feels it needs a compatible flash (made by them, of course)? Is there one for the S1-system yet?

Last edited:
Top Bottom