Lumix or olympus 14-42mm?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Keeds, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Keeds

Keeds New to Mu-43

Mar 6, 2011
    Perth , WA
    Hi guys,

im probably getting a Lumix G2 soon so i wanted to ask this question.

Because i have heard that the Lumix 14-42 mm that comes with the g2 is bad for video and is noisy and all that, should i buy a Lumix g2 body and a Olympus 14-42mm?

Keeds

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    get the panny for the panny, oly uses ibis, so their lenses does not have IS. And depending on which oly 14-42 the panny will focus faster then the mkI but not the mkII.

3. Keeds

Keeds New to Mu-43

Mar 6, 2011
    Perth , WA
    im tryin to decide wether to get the normal kit lens thatcomes with the G2 (14-42 G VARIO) or the G2 body with the Olympus 14-42 Mk II?

Which one?

4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Get the panny for the panny, IS is helpful if you find yourself in low light. You will not want to shoot pass 800iso if you want a clean picture. So as long as the shot is not in motion the IS will let you get the shot handheld with the panny lens.

They are both decent kit lenses the difference in IQ is next to nothing when you factor in the correction of m4/3. The oly might focus faster, but it will produce a similar photo quality as the panny lens in reality. Go with the added feather of IS would be my recommendation with a panny body.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The Olympus lens has a collapsing design, so it is smaller (when collapsed) but has to be expanded for use. Some people like this tradeoff, others don't.

The Olympus lens is optimized for video, whereas the Panasonic is not. I don't know the specifics of how this impacts video, though. Maybe someone else can explain. I shoot video with my non-optimized Panasonic lenses and have been happy enough with the results.

As shoturtle said, the Panasonic lens gives you image stabilization, which is worthwhile. I too would (and did) go for the Panasonic lens if wanting a standard zoom for a Panasonic body.

6. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    The Lumix zoom was noisy originally and this reputation sticks. It seems that a firmware update (was it 1.1 or the current 1.2 ?) has significantly reduced the problem. Though I did wonder if it wasn't at a slight expense of focusing speed...

Anyway, for a G body, I'd stick to the G Vario lens. If not for the other reasons, then for its supplied lens hood and a more common filter thread.