1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

lumix lens 7-14 micro

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by luis colon, Feb 21, 2011.

1. luis colon

luis colon New to Mu-43

Mar 1, 2010
    I just order this lens , has any one has used this lens , and what are the results. also i was wondering who man=kes lumix lens . leica or some subcontract to panasonic company.

2. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    Beijing
    No, but I too am looking at perhaps buying this lens. Please let me know how it works out once you get it and try it out. I know that Panasonic uses both Leica and Lumix lenses. As they are an electronics company, I would think they use an outside lens maker for their own brand and Leica for you know. I am sure others know for sure. :thumbup:

3. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
  4. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    I own this lens. In fact, most of my Gunkanjima shots were taken with it. Marvellously sharp and contrasty!

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Panasonic makes them (and most of leica's compacts too). It appears Panasonic has gotten much more out of this partnership than Leica has.

Note the 7-14 is not a Leica branded lens, only the 45/2.8 macro so far

6. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Florida
    7-14

I did a side-by-side on this vs the oly m. 9-18mm, and I felt overall the Panny was slightly superior in overall image quality, worse on size and weight, but better in build quality and "feel". The difference in image quality I felt, would not be noticed on day-to-day use.

However, I LOVED the ability to go down to 7mm, the extra 2mm at this focal length is significant and allows for very interesting compositions you can't get at higher focal lengths. 7-8mm seemed about as wide as you can go without obvious fisheye look.

Obviously, 7-14 compliments the kit lens nicely, although I found the oly at 18mm meant I didn't have to change lenses when I need to zoom in a bit, such as transitioning from single to group shot.

I am not crazy about f/4, would like some more stops, but in practice you are so wide angle you really don't see the grain because it's so wide. Showgirl picture is 1200 ISO. Even as 8x10, it's not a factor.

On both lenses, be careful of putting people at edge of frame under about 12mm as the distortion can be less than flattering. Vignetting is minimized if you don't angle the lens away from the subject. Pioneer Hotel photo shows the distortion I am referencing. On the flipside, this lens can cover from floor to ceiling on Fremont st... comparable to a typical basketball court, if you've never been to Vegas. Huge range!

I ended up buying the Oly 9-18. While I really wanted that extra 2mm on the Panny, it was strictly price that made my decision for me. That said, I really like the super wide and feel either is a great choice.

[click to enlarge]
    100821_Las_Vegas-62. 100822_Las_Vegas-89. 100821_Las_Vegas-40.