Lumix GX80/85/GX7MkII: An amazing camera: new options with DUAL IS: personal review

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by JoFT, Aug 25, 2016.

1. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    The Lumix GX80 is out since a bit of time. After the discussion of "killing the GM/GF product line" I decided to test wether the GX80 fits to my travel bag....

p1918358260-5.

It does.

And I tested the dual IS: it blows me away:

p668651352-4.

The 45mm is the OIS-Capable PL ELMARIT 45mm f2.8 while the 50mm lens is my over 30 years old Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4.

Verdict
    The GX80 (or GX85 or GX7 MkII - where ever you are) is a great camera. The Dual IS is a killer feature! A must have! Period! It opens new possibilities for street photography in the blue hour....

The rest: it is another great ยต43 camera. It is definitely worth the money. The ergonomics: well here is some space for improvement, but considering the price point: This is a really fair package....

The rest of the review you find here: Lumix GX80 a pretty high tech camera...

Have fun... It will be interesting to get your comments on this!!!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

How did you manage to get less than 0% keepers?

Brian

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    By perspective fooling: the scale is at the rear...

4. Brian Beezley

Let's say I wanted to know the percentage keepers for the G6 using the 50mm lens at 1/12 sec. How would I find that from the chart?

Brian

5. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    In my Blog is the table with exact figures...

6. Brian Beezley

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Thank you!

8. Frankgr

Frankgr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2014
    I have one and lament a few downgrades from the GX7.
    I really miss the tilting evf. Especially that there is no eyecup for the Gx85 which makes it nearly impossible to use for eyeglass wearers.
    Also, that they removed off camera wireless flash (TTL) capability.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    I have a GX8 but I had a friends GX85 for a couple days and thats what got me too. I LOVE the tilting EVF /w the panasonic extended eyecup on my GX8.

I'm just hoping there's a GX9 in the future with a refined GX8 body but GX85 IBIS and shutter

• Like Like x 1
  10. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    That's brilliant - possibly the first time I've ever seen a log graph on a photograph forum. Made my day!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Funnily enough, I'm out on a clothes shopping trip atm (not for me...). I just managed to get away briefly and sneaked into a camera store and had a quick play with a GX80. Overall I quite liked it, and the EVF was OK (I was worried it might seem too small, but it was ok, albeit not as nice perhaps as the EM10 next to it.

But the thing I wasn't sure about was, it seemed like it might suffer from the main problem I still have with my G3, of accidental button presses by my right thumb.

Anyone who's used one have that problem?

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  12. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I wear eyeglasses and I just returned from a trip where I was using my GX85 and mostly shooting through the EVF. I can use its EVF just fine, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    Same. I haven't used the 85, but the tilting EVF is outstandingly useful. Can't believe how often its pressed into service. Sure, I could go back, but damn I'd miss it. Really keen to see what the GX9 ends up like. I find the 8 body perfect. The Goldilocks camera. Not too big, not too small, just right. Oodles of controls, customizable function buttons and features. Just add the new shutter and stabilization, and it would be even better

• Like Like x 1
  14. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    I wouldn't say perfect. I preferred the grip of my old G7, that was heavenly. I don't know why manufacturers insist on putting these unergononomic grips on their range finder style bodies. Give the GX8 a G7 style grip and it would be even better, and re position some of the buttons like display and that useless fn key in the front to avoid accidental presses.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    Funny how everyone likes different setups. I love that front function button. I've got it mapped to ISO & find it brilliant. If you use a light grip on the camera, you go nowhere near it, if you grab tight on the grip, it's right there. Each press bumps the ISO one stop. Or 1/3 if you've got it set that way

• Like Like x 1
  16. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Ahh, I find that with its position and because its so flush , I hit it when I pick up the camera sometimes by accident and can't find it when I actually need it. So now I just set it to power zoom and pretend its not there.

17. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    Ha. I did pretty much the same thing when I first got it. Then, I went on a couple of months holiday with it, shot with it most days & got super familiar with it, customised the buttons a bit, & ended up where it is now.

18. Schwingi

Schwingi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2016
    Austria
    The GX80 is my first m43 camera, was a Canon only shooter before, and I absolutely love it!! The battery life kinda bugs me, but besides that -> awesome!

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    for everybody who is interested: I have added some remarks on Video, too:

20. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    yeah , the battery life is a consequence of getting all the advantages of the EVF. mirrorless is always reading off the sensor and processing images while DSLR's do most of their work only when the shutter is pressed since they used an optical viewfinder. In a way I consider it an sorta acceptable tradeoff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1