1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumix GX8 Battery Grip--watch vid, see what I see?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MedicineMan4040, Sep 3, 2015.

1. MedicineMan4040

MedicineMan4040 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Love the battery grip on the GH4 (in fact any mirrorless). Googled but never found one.
    Went to youtube and caught this vid, see if you see what I think is a Meike battery grip for the Lumix GX8. I like Meike grips, have one on my A7Rii and it's never failed.
    So I go back to google some more, still NO Meike battery grip for the Lumix GX8.
    Any thoughts/clues/explanations ????
    Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It probably hasn't been out long enough for them to make one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    I agree but I'm seeing it on the video.

4. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I saw that as well, it's an off-market brand called Meike. I think it's probably just a generic one that happened to fit, as I couldn't find one made by that brand for the GX8.

5. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
  6. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Rick that is great research !!! So I instantly Google Meike battery grip for Lumix G7 and come up empty handed. Maybe
    my search skills are lacking :(

If I can find a link I'm quite willing to see if one will fit the other.

We did the cycling/AF test today. I can easily say now that the GX8 is moving object capable :) I don't know if the better half is the most appropriate test,
    I asked her to cycle directly toward me and shot in various combinations/modes=AF-S, AF-C. One Area in AF-C was the most satisfactory. I even tried Face
    Detect but for a quickly moving subject (my guess is 7-10 mph on the bicycle) little success. With a suitable lens I would not hesitate to shoot BIF. I chose
    the 35-100mm today....wouldn't do for most birders but it gave me a good idea of what is possible and further cements my wish that the 300 F4 and 100-400g
    Leica suddenly appear! It is abysmally hot here so the AF testing didn't last long-my regret is that I didn't play with the one center cross mode--I think that would most
    closely resemble what we do with the 7Dii but even with the Canon the AF focus are I choose is AF expansion 4 or 8 points in AI-Servo which 'visually' through the EVF is roughly
    the same size as the One Area medium size...AND the Pinpoint is only available as far as I can tell in AF-S.
    Speaking of AF-S and Pinpoint; I've done BIF with the GH4 with this combo--the GH4 (and most mFTs I've experienced) focus so fast if I can get that pinpoint on the
    bird I can get the moving shot. It's not as easy as AF-C for sure but can be done. This setting is also most like the Expanded Flexible Spot on the A7Rii BUT with the Sony
    I get to see the dancing/seeking little green squares within the defined focus zone. I like the green squares, they tell me the camera is doing something and hopefully that
    something is finding focus points Ha!
    Unfair to compare to the A7Rii or the 7Dii ?? On the front of it I'd say def. unfair comparing with the Sony due to price point alone. With the 7Dii the price point is off about
    as much as is the GX8 and the GH4; but since there bodies are here and I use them fairly frequently it's only natural to compare. One instant comparison I'm drawn to is
    the EVF. The Canon has no dog in this fight but I'm glad to tell the mFTs crowd that the Sony A7Rii EVF has nothing on the GX8=both visual experiences are wonderful. For the portrait photographer
    either the A7Rii or the GX8 has remarkable face and eye detect but I like the eye detect graphical representation (crossing lines vs. little green square) better.
    Well I don't want to bore and truthfully only 450ish shots through the camera so long ways to go yet in the learning process.

We also tried the 4K photo at 1/16,000 with a pellet gun and a water filled balloon. I must have a good pellet gun because even 1/16,000 is not fast enough :)
    gx8 foc test 1.
    One Dead Balloon.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    Awesome water balloon shot!!!

I sent a message to the guy with the video asking about the battery grip. Hope he replies.

8. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    Google "panasonic battery grip", and look at "Images".

9. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Thanks Rick. We've been playing with Snap Movie, kinda cool. I think it will have application for snippets on vacation trips.
    Now I'm googling images panasonic battery grip--wish me luck :)

10. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I see on the soundimageplus link above, second paragraph down after the raw images comparisons, he has a butchered a battery grip that was originally for a Sony A7II, here's the paragraph.

"So is there a good reason to prefer one over the other? Well, lets get the aesthetics out of the way first. The OM-D E-M5 is a beautiful camera, the G7 is......... 'functional.' The bolt-on grips make the Olympus a great camera for handling. While the G7 has a better grip than many Panasonic cameras, I still felt the need to butcher a third-party Sony A7 II grip and attach that to give me the handling I want. The Olympus also gives extra battery power which is important and the G7 would benefit for some extra battery life, particularly when shooting 4K video."

• Like Like x 1
  11. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Darren good eye!!! Can you please post a link to that paragraph????
    I wonder how he 'butchered' ?? I'm very willing. I love the GX8 as is BUT I know longer (300 F4 or 100-400g Leica ) are in my future and
    the weight/gripage of the grip would only help.
    Thanks if you can. Thanks if you cannot :)

12. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    OK I found the paragraph.He 'butchered' a Sony A7 II grip from Meike........so how exactly did he butcher it? Can an common man (me) do the necessary butchering? I
    don't even own a soldering iron!

13. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Read the paragraph. Wonder exactly how he butchered the Sony A7 II.

14. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I'm wondering about that too and whether you can use the shutter button on the grip.

15. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Well I've joined his Google+ and asked how he modified it and if the shutter button still works onthe grip.
    If I get any answers, I will post on here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Thank you very much. Looking forward to any clues. I'd expect if I were to be patient Meike will eventually provide if the GX8 is popular enough.

17. wyluncustoms

wyluncustoms Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 25, 2013
    Ya great thread. I saw this a week ago too and contacted the guy asking about the grip but he never got back to me. I saw the rest of this thread and you guys have concluded that its a meike A7ii grip.. seems right.. the pics i added you can see the gx8 is slightly too big for the grip.. ive been thinking of getting a cheap A7ii grip from neweer or meike to try this my self... seems to just dremel away the battery connector that goes into the camera and possibly the side edges. . The gx8 is 133.2mm in length compared to 126.9mm of the a7ii. And depth is 63.1mm to 59.7mm. So the gx8 is bigger in everyway.. but just a tad. If the tripod mount is located in the same area.. this is very do-able.. just wont be a functioning grip... but better to hold on to

Attached Files:

18. Darren Bonner

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    The reply I've got is "No nothing works on the grip. Its just for better handling. I basically ripped it apart and filed it down. "

• Like Like x 1
  19. MedicineMan4040

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    Well there we have it. Grip is ok as is. I'll wait on Meike to get us one. I've already written them expressing interest.
    Thanks to all for the research.

• Like Like x 1