1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lumix GX7 Review Part 2 – Sensor, Shutter and In Body Stabilization

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Aug 16, 2013.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Am I the only one that think this sounds like it was written by Panasonic's marketing department?

Edit: Oh, wait, that was silly of me. Panasonic's marketing department hasn't demonstrated it's capable of marketing ANY camera.

2. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Star sky and Hutch? Chuck Norris? Which generation is this review focused on? Certainly no one under 50!

3. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I thought the same thing. I normally like his website, but didn't think this looked any different than something I'd see on a Panasonic website. Disappointing.

4. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I just read it and have to say that after your comments I had to smile BIG TIME :biggrin:

It's a copy of Panasonic marketing material with some sugar added. Have to say though that I totally believe that it's a fine piece of machinery, but a bit less sugar please.

5. MitchHamilton

MitchHamilton Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Banff, Alberta, Canada
    I do agree with the STRONG bias but he's not trying to fool anyone and I find his review language refreshing and I found myself smiling through most of the article. (Full disclosure: The GX7 has won me over and I'll be getting one as soon as they are available)

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    He's one of our members, so we should cut him some slack! :wink:

I'm sure he'll be able to answer any questions we might have if you hit him on the forum. :smile:

7. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    From his stuff I've seen here and on his website, he seems like a good guy. Since I've already started saving for the GX7 I had just hoped to see more reviewing and less marketing.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Again, no rigorous testing of the IBIS - but at least this reviewer admits he hasn't had time to test it extensively

Frankly, this is disturbing - and makes me believe that there is a good chance that it's not very good.

9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    There is no testing of anything. Most of the artwork and content came straight from Panasonic. He's probably just a shill for Panasonic. At least most legitimate reviewers are up front about whether or not they paid for the camera.

Ne may be a nice guy because he hasn't drowned any puppy dogs recently, but he's a big ZERO when it comes to equipment reviews.

10. MitchHamilton

Feb 16, 2010
    Banff, Alberta, Canada
    He's a Lumix Luminary (think Pekka Potka or Robin Wong for Olympus) he doesn't try to hide that fact, will he be overly positive about the product? SURE! He's been very helpful with answering questions here and on DPreview so calling him a shill probably isn't the best way to show some respect.

11. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Um, have you read anything else he has put out? This seems a bit standard, but most of his reviews seem based on personal views, not corporate lines.

12. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    Sorry but I don't see the comparison to Robin Wong's reviews. Not only are Robin's very thorough with excellent example images, he also always points out anything he thinks could be implemented better.

13. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Mixed emotions...

I am watching as the GX7 is making it's debut. There are a couple of people who are connected to Panasonic to one extent or another who are showcasing the potential of the camera by writing blogs on the "Small Camera Big Picture" website. The same two guys are doing a tour of several cities across the United States. While I am skeptical of the "reviews" coming from the two guys, I am supportive of the way Panasonic has decided to go after the USA market with a different approach.

I hope the new marketing style gets the GX7 some traction here in the US. I am a very satisfied E-P5 owner but I want the M43 market to do well so I want the GX7 to sell well.

Dan

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I agree that it's not much of a critical review, but if it helps get traction on the GX7 (esp in the massive US market) then I'm not going to knock it. However, I'll be looking to DPReview or such like for a proper warts-and-all review before *I* spend my £/$/€ !

15. MitchHamilton

Feb 16, 2010
    Banff, Alberta, Canada
    Wong's and Petka's reviews are some of the best reviews on the internet, I never said otherwise, thank you very much for taking my comments out of context however and to set that straight I only meant that they are and will continue to be STRONGLY Olympus biased, just as G is Panasonic biased.

On another note, I completely agree with what has been about the GX7 exposure, :43: needs this kind of positive press to help those WHO AREN'T PIXEL PEEPING "enthusiasts" to buy into a VERY competent photographic system.

16. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Thanks Dan! I'll be in Portland at Pro Photo Supply later this month, Wednesday the 28th. This will just be to meet and hangout for a bit but if the turnout is good I'll come back and do a class.

Hope to see you there.

17. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I kinda got the same response when I was shooting Olympus. Both times I was free to post whatever I want. I get really excited about small cameras so I'm def not being critical. I just keep thinking what it was like for me a couple years ago shooting with a DSLR and how much more fun it is for me to shoot with a M43 camera.

That said although I didn't get amped about all cameras (my X Pro 1 review would be an example) it's best for everyone to read up on cameras as much as possible so an informed decision can be made when choosing a camera.

18. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    It is very mildly encouraging to see at least a tiny effort on Panasonic's part toward a m4/3 marketing campaign in the USA. Let's just hope that they build something more substantial, effort-wise, on this first baby step.

19. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I think highly of Robin's work and his blog. Really good stuff. I do mention things that are missing with a camera in my reviews but overall I really don't review cameras. For instance I never reviewed the GH3 which is my personal favorite. I'm more about having a discussion of how photographers can make better shots with small cameras.

When I do find things that are missing in a camera, rather than mention it on my blog I reach out to Panasonic's engineers.

I wrote the review on the GX7 because I got very excited about the camera. I was not asked by anyone to review the GX7 nor was it expected. The review was not known by Panasonic until it was published.

The GX7 has many features we've been asking for and some I asked for personally. In december I met with the designers of the GH3 and I asked for an articulating LVF, built in curves and peaking among other things. I'm honored that when I was talking they were taking notes. We chatted for a couple hours and they told me if they would consider it.

If that's not listening to photographers I don't know what is. What we're seeing with the G6, GX7, GH3 and the Lumix Lounge is just the start. Panasonic is "all in" with the M43 system and their serious about it.