1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumix GX7 IQ vs Lumix GX1 IQ

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by m4/3boy, Aug 16, 2014.

1. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    I've just read Gordon Laing's review of the Lumix GX7, ( http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_GX7/ ), and Laing states that the IQ of the GX7 is on par with the Lumix GX1.

I find this comparison to be a more than a little surprising. If true why would one choose the GX7 over the GX1?

Can anyone comment based on their personal experience with the two cameras if this comparison between the two cameras holds water?

I'm considering purchasing the GX7 and thought I would ask the forum for their input.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

2. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Reading the comparison with the GX1 in that review, he gives a large number of reasons (viewfinder, stabilisation etc.) why you would choose the GX7 over the GX1.

The statement that the GX1 offers "essentially the same image quality" depends on your interpretation of what that statement means. The GX7 has usefully better high ISO performance and even more of an advantage in dynamic range. Whether that's relevant is up to the individual.

3. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    So do you have experience shooting the GX7 and GX1?

4. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Paris
    According to DxO, the GX7 sensor has a higher dynamic range and better colours. Anyway, I've seen pictures taken by a GX1 in difficult conditions and they were all right.
    Disclaimer: I'm not really a pixel peeper, I consider that current digital photography is far superior to what we had in silver photography, as far as the IQ is concerned.

I don't think that the IQ is the reason why one should choose a GX7 rather than a GX1.
    The GX7 has an integrated EVF, 2 axis IBIS (which helps with non-OIS lenses), more video modes, a better screen (twice more pixels), a better shutter (higher max speed and higher flash sync speed), a silent mode (electronic shutter), and Wifi. I probably forgot a couple of features...

5. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    So do you have experience shooting the GX7 and GX1?

I'm only interested in the difference in the IQ of the 2 cameras, not the other features.

6. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I had a GX1, GH2, E-P5, E-M5 and now have E-M1. Of the bunch GX1 gave me the worse results mostly due to the shutter shock. GX7 having electronic first curtain shutter and ibis is a no brainer for me. Very much worth any extra $ if in your budget due to the extra keepers. Mostly if you shoot lower shutter speeds / indoors in natural light. I now have a rule to stay away from any camera with mechanical first curtain mirrorless. GX1 and EP5 (prior to update) are tied for the 2nd worst I've used next to the Sony A7R. I sold my A7R for a A7 partially because of the electronic first curtain on the A7. HUGE difference in keepers for me. Do some homework on shutter shock and it's NOT a technique thing. I was getting shock on tripods.

• Like Like x 2
  7. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Interesting. I had not thought of that angle.

8. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Don, I think you are taking things a little bit out of context.

[1] Surely you are not one of those who thinks the only reason to choose a camera is for its sensor superiority?

[2] You do realise Laing would have to say the same about an E-M1 or a GH4, if he were to compare them to a GX1? Their IQ is all of the same ilk to a GX7.

[3] You misquoted Laing, who wrote "a substantial upgrade in all but image quality over the original GX1". He is probably just being brutally honest, not overexcitable like us µ4/3 lovers, because, in the big scheme of things, even the generation shift from the 12 MP to the 16 MP sensors represents a modest or not more than moderate upgrade in IQ. Since the dawn of digital, reviewers have been clear that a 30% lift in pixel count is not a big change in IQ. When you consider that the GX1 has the same 16 MP, and only a stop and a half less dynamic range than current benchmark µ4/3 sensors, you will only see incremental improvements in image files. But in every other aspect, you will see big improvements and differences in the GX7 over the GX1, and this is the point Laing was trying to make in the passage that you misquoted and made all about IQ.

• Like Like x 1
  9. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Arg's got it for you. The ergonomics, controls, evf, ibis, etc etc make it quite a huge upgrade shutter shock issues aside. I'll be honest my GH2 and current EM1 are not huge in difference to me in real world quality JUST by the sensor itself. If you look carefully sure it's a bit better in low light and dynamic range you'll notice if you had pix side by side but overall image / feel is similar (colors withstanding). Getting more keepers or being able to expose my shot quickly with controls makes the bigger difference upgrading bodies. IBIS for me is a biggie if you're shooting non stabilized lenses.

10. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    That's the first thing I take into consideration.

No I don't quite get your point.

I didn't quote Laing at all so I did not misquote him, I paraphrased what he wrote in my attempt to understand what he meant.

Now for what it's worth I have tested the GX1 against the GX7 (along with the E-M1) and I find that the image quality of the E-M1 and GX7 out perform the GX1, hands down. I was just wondering if I had missed something since I've seen more than incremental improvements from the E-M1 and GX7.

11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Oh well, your first post said everything except what you wanted to say, finally revealed in the last sentence above. You wasted my time with deception and concealment. Thanks.

12. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    My pleasure!

13. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm hiding in the shrubbery now and watching this conversation ;)
    GX1•17/2.8•30/2.8

14. CameraNoob

CameraNoob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2014
    Atlanta
    I have experience with both. I used the GX1 for a year before getting GX7.

Without a doubt, I can say the GX7 takes sharper photos and is better all around camera. Shutter speed is faster, sensor performance is better under low light conditions, and photos have extra life to them. I don't really know why this is. Maybe better/newer sensor. This comparison is with me using the same lens on both bodies. PL25. After using the GX7 I would NOT go back to the GX1. It is a large and noticeable improvement. This camera review person who says otherwise is just blowing smoke. YES. YES YES. GX7 takes better photos.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 mobile app

15. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Interesting. I bought a cheap used GX1 to hold me over while my GX7 was in the shop and was really quite happy with the pictures it took. Once my GX7 returned I was blown away by how much better a camera it is; faster, hugely better LCD, missed my adjustable EVF, silent mode, wifi, etc., but the actual picture quality difference didn't jump out at me. I'll have to do some side-by-side shots now.

16. CameraNoob

CameraNoob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2014
    Atlanta
    I do a lot of indoor photography of babies. Maybe the faster Focus speed and improved light sensor allows better low light performance while shooting indoors? This is where I have noticed a huge difference between GX1 vs. GX7, which led me to say the pictures were much higher IQ. (Many more keeper shots of moving babies)

When shooting outdoors The GX1 performance was not in question. However the GX7 does have a much nicer shutter.

17. DennisC

DennisC Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Just lately I've been running some old G1 RAW files through the latest Capture One , PhotoNinja and Lightroom software.
    Unless someone told me I couldn't tell if they were shot with the G1 or my E-M10.

Perhaps the sensors haven't improved very much but the software to process them has.

18. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I'd buy that.

19. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have owned a GX1, G5, G6, and GX-7 and to my eyes the GX-7 images were much more resilient to tweaks in Lightroom, and as a result I was able to bring out more detail in the shadows and save more details in the highlights. In between the G5 and G6 I also owned an EM-5 and I noticed a marked difference going from G5 to EM-5 and then back to G6. The G5 and G6 are very similar in resilience to the GX1, but the EM-5 was a marked step above. I would say that the GX7 and EM-5 are in the same ballpark.

To me and it's lens that makes the real difference! Both of the below shots were taken with the Olympus 45mm f/1.8:

GX-1 (ISO 160 @ f/2.8):

_1010851.jpg by -the-levster-

GX-7 (ISO 200 @ f/2.8)

_1020220.jpg by -the-levster-

20. CameraNoob

CameraNoob Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2014
    Atlanta
    Maybe we should just say the GX7 makes it lot easier to take great shots... Lol. Which translates the to many more keeper shots. Semantics.