1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

LUMIX GX7: Change Your Perspective Tour

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by robknight, Aug 13, 2013.

1. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey gang,
    We are shooting the GX7 this week and driving all over the U.S. showing them off at LUMIX dealers. Check with your friendly neighborhood camera shop to see when we will be in your area.
    There is a new social media-driven LUMIX site that will have all the latest LUMIX news, photos and info. Check it out at Panasonic LUMIX Lounge

I've been shooting stills and videos with the GX7 for a couple of days now and I can tell you that it is a heck of a machine. It is solid and responsive and I'm really enjoying it so far. Check out these first two hybrid eScapes and stay tuned for more images and video from our road trip this week. I'll write a full report when I get home.

Part 1:
    LUMIX GX7: Change Your Perspective. Part 1 - YouTube
    Part 2:
    LUMIX GX7: Change Your perspective. Part 2 - YouTube

Cheers!

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Good idea! :smile:
    Please tell the Lumix regional reps to make it easier for brick n' mortar stores to sell their products too. (My local one quit selling Panasonic products because it took them so long to deliver)....So they only sell Olympus stuff now...

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It would be really helpful for Panasonic to publish a schedule, rather than asking us to call half a dozen different shops to see if they're participating.....

And whoever is responsible for the web site needs to proof a little better. In the schedule of upcoming events it shows 11/16 for Manassas, VA, but clicking the link indicates it's on 11/8. Which is correct?

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I'd have to find one that sells Lumix :43: products. I've checked most of the Rochester and Buffalo area, but no luck. Best Buy used to sell the outdated GF2 and GF3, but those are gone now, too. Hard to push your product when an area with 2.5 million people doesn't have a store to buy it at.

(Note: first person to say New York City is nearby wins a :dash2:)

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Judging by the responses thus far, it looks like Panasonic needs to "change their US marketing and availability perspective"....:biggrin:

6. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Yeah, I think most of us have been saying that for quite some time now. If only Panasonic actually listened to those few customers it has.

7. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    The shows an event in CA, but none are listed on the schedule. I was really hoping to see the GX7 in person. :(

8. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I know it has been hard to find Panasonic gear in some areas. We are trying to change that with events like this.
    As far as I know it is up to the dealers to promote their "tour stops" locally.

That's a good one! we're working on it :smile:

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Wouldn't it be nice if Panny and Oly reps were on this forum like the BH rep?

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Hey! those videos where shot in the Chicago-area; was there an event that I missed?

11. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011

Is there any place in Central America that actually carries anything beyond the point and shoots and the GH3? (one store in Panama). If not, can I go to Miami and find a store that sells the lenses and this new camera?

12. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    And that response is a perfect example of what's wrong with Panasonic's marketing in the U.S. You should be helping your dealers market your products, not expecting them to do it for you.

Promotion costs money. Brick & mortar dealers are struggling. The largest independent chain in the Washington, DC area had to sell out to Cameta, and closed most of it's stores.

So let's pretend I own a camera store (I don't, but I'm pretty close to the guys at the store I describe above). Nikon and Canon spend tons of money on co-branded marketing. When their reps come to town, they bring a trunk full of gear AND advertising money. Panasonic, apparently, expects me to take out newspaper ads to market their cameras. Gee, who's products do you think are going to get shelf space and attention from my salespeople?

The cost of promoting these events via Facebook, Twitter, and forums like this and DPR is nearly zero, but Panasonic can't even figure out how to use social media. Clueless is the term that comes to mind. Hell, send ME the schedule of events and I'll publicize it for you. For free.

See what I mean?

Edit: Well, I need to take back part of my rant (but only part). Panasonic is publishing dates, one week at a time, on their Lumix Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Lumix?hc_location=stream

This Week's Schedule:
    Friday, 4-6pm: Midwest Photo Exchange, Columbus Ohio - Rick Gerrity of Gerrity Photographic Inc./rickgerrityphotography
    Saturday, All Day: Unique Photo, Fairfield NJ - Rick Gerrity
    Saturday, 2-4pm: Showcase, Inc, Atlanta - Giulio Sciorio + Rob Knight

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    With my brick n' mortar store, in came down to product availability. Olympus reps delivered products in a timely manner whereas Panasonic reps were spotty at best.

Hence, the store has chosen to stay with Olympus & has abandoned Panasonic.

14. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm learning more and more that Panasonic is trying to make up for poor performance with product availability in the past. I know that making products available and working with the dealers is a really high priority.

As far as advertising dollars, nobody is asking anyone to take out newspaper ads. A simple email blast (with content that we provide) is often all it takes to get the word out for something like this. As it was mentioned, there is promotional and scheduling info on LUMIX social media sites. Panasonic is providing artists with brand new gear to make appearances at stores for no charge to the dealers, and promoting the tour nationally.
    I think we're all trying to figure out the best way to go from here. Thanks for all of the comments!

15. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    We were in town for the SCU event, but we didn't have a public event

16. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    There's only one camera store in the DC area that has my email address. If your tour goes to another store, an email blast won't reach me. And even if you go to the store that has my email, an email blast will still miss the vast majority of the local population.

Unlike buying from the web, buying from a brick and mortar store doesn't require you to provide an email address. And marketing isn't about reaching those who already know about your product, it's about reaching those who don't.

17. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I'm coming to the Bay Area this month but the dates are not final yet. Ill also be in Portland and Seattle too. Suzette Allen is going to be visiting south of SF.

18. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I think a local dealer would (should) know the best way to reach their potential customers. If not email then something else.
    Realistically if a merchant is NOT collecting emails and interacting with customers via social media they are missing a huge opportunity

19. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    The unwillingness of local dealers in the St. Louis, MO area to venture very heavily into
    m43 is frustrating. One current dealer has a greater selection of used m43 lenses than new ones. And none carry Panasonic Lumix. It's great that Panasonic is trying to get the GX7 into the hands of potential buyers by some method. It beats no marketing at all. Sorry I missed Rob in ST. Louis.

20. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thank you for the reply.