1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumix GX7 Black body

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Marv, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Marv

Marv New to Mu-43

Aug 2, 2013
    What's up, no black body for US market?

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    And no kits (black or silver) with the new 20mm lens as well.

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    You can order black GX7 kits with the 20mm lens from Henry's in Canada and they'll ship to the U.S. Cost is $1299.99 CDN. Once you figure in shipping to the U.S. plus your credit card's foreign purchase and currency exchange fees (typically 3% total), it's pretty close to parity with U.S. dollars.

PANASONIC DMC-GX7 W/20MM BLACK DMCGX7CK

4. jpark1982

jpark1982 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm looking to order from them as well, going to spring for the kit with the 20. But curious as to how they handle pre-orders. Do they charge in full when order is placed or is it like US vendors where they don't charge until it ships?

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Why not ask them?

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
  7. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    yeah, I'm definitely annoyed black isn't available in the US. If I got one from Canada, any idea how that would affect warranty? Every manufacturer seems different on this.

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I actually like the classic look of the chrome/black GX7.

But then, my first real camera was a 1955 M3 that I bought in 1971. :smile:

9. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Agreed!

10. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Ultimately, I want it black.

It seems that the "silver" finish on m4/3 bodies these days may not be as durable (in terms of showing WEAR) as the all black ones. Today's camera finishes and build materials don't seem to come up to the bodies of years gone by. Then again, today's bodies are dated and practically "disposable" in a couple of years anyway. It's not like the old days, where a kit of mechanical Hasselblad or Mamiya MF bodies and lenses could last your entire career! The advent of electronic, micro-process controlled camera bodies has pretty much assured short-lived camera bodies these days.

Beyond questionable wear resistance, silver-ish bodies (and lenses) are more troublesome in some reflective situations (product work, architecture, etc.) and are more "eye-catching" in street photography situations, as well. For these reasons, I prefer the black ones.

The silver and black, two-toned, 'retro' look doesn't add any value, nor appeal, to me in gear acquisition, but since it is the only option for preorder from B&H, I've got one preordered until I can acquire an all black one.

11. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Oly has international warranty AFAIK. Buy it from anywhere, and you can get it fixed here in US, as long as its not grey market

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't know. All of my heavily used black body SLRs from the 70s and 80s had brass showing on the corners and edges where the finish wore off.

13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I know... after years of use, that gorgeous brass would show through on the most worn edges. But remember... it took years of heavy use to reveal that gorgeous brass underneath. I suspect if you used one of today's m4/3 bodies that heavily over a period of a fair number of years, it may not look nearly as attractive as our older cameras did. Certainly, today's cameras will likely be plenty useable for a good number of years... just not so sure how nice the worn finishes would look. :wink:

I like all black camera bodies.

14. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    yeah, but what about Panasonic?

15. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
  16. Mohun

Mohun Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2012
    brettmaxwell,

I asked the warranty question on another forum and got an answer from a camera shop person in Alberta. He checked with Panasonic and Panny informed him the Panasonic Canadian warranty would not be honored by Panasonic in the US. This appears much like Nikon USA's practice.

17. jpark1982

jpark1982 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 3, 2013
    So I called Henry's and it appears that the customer service desk is not open on Saturday. So I'll try back on Monday. One interesting thing I noticed though was trying to place an order it only gave me the option of using PayPal to place my order. I'm not sure if that's because I'm trying to order from the US, from my iPad where sometimes I have issues ordering from, or that's just their online policy.

Ordering from PayPal has me hesitant because if Panasonic decides last moment to release it here in black, I worry about getting a proper refund as I'm pretty sure PayPal will charge me the price in full the moment I submit.

18. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I imagine it will only be a matter of time before ALL bodies and kit options are available everywhere. Just a guess.

19. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I think that's likely the case. It would seem odd that Panasonic would 'never' offer this new camera in the USA in black when there are surely buyers who would buy one (or more) in black, but might not in the silver two-tone (or would wait much longer).

Regarding warranty, how long is the warranty anyway, one year? I'm guessing that few modern cameras have issues within the warranty period as they are mostly, basically just very reliable little computers... most problems result from owners dropping or damaging them, no? Of course it's still preferable to have the factory warranty if possible.

20. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    I notice that the black or silver versions of the camera, come with the respective black or silver p20 mkll lens and no price hike for the black version:2thumbs: