1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumix GX7 and long exposures in A mode question.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Paul80, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi all

I noticed something odd with my GX7 the other day.

I was doing some lens tests with the camera mounted on a tripod and IS turned off and Electronic shutter turned on, taking photos of a test chart pinned to a wall.

I have one of the custom function options C1 set to use A mode and Electronic shutter for when I am shooting in macro or using my 100-300 lens so selected that option to use for my test. But soon found that exposures at the small apertures were getting darker and darker, I checked the settings and found that the camera could not give exposures longer than one second.

However if I just selected A mode with Electronic shutter with IS off the camera was able to give much longer exposures.

Why is it unable to do this with the same settings set as a custom function. Am I missing something obvious.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

2. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

E shutter won't let you have exposure longer than 1 second, additionally, it also change your raw from 12 bit to 10 or even lower, you can test 2 shots back and forth using either shutter and pull 2 stops up in LR and see the huge latitude difference. that's why I never use e shutter myself unless absolutely necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  3. khughes44

khughes44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Langley BC
    Kevin Hughes
    Good point Dennis, thank you!

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    What Lowtec said. E-shutter prevents exposures longer than 1", and also won't allow the use of flash either

5. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Thanks for the replies

Will have to double check this but I was sure when I used the A mode I set it to electronic shutter and got exposures longer than one second, I might have forgotten to set it though as early dementia is playing havoc with my memory of late and so is the pain meds I take.

I will double check tomorrow if only to confirm operator error.

I did know about the electronic flash not working in eshutter mode though.

Paul

6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    This is actually only the case with the GM1 and GH4, since they have a much faster sampling rate, so are not able to get the full 12 bits.

http://m43photo.blogspot.ca/2014/05/worse-image-quality-with-e-shutter.html

GX7 and earlier should be totally fine with the eshutter.

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You must be thinking of some other camera. If you actually did that test with a GX7 and got that result, you made some sort of mistake!

8. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    I was doing some sunsets last night with gx7, A mode at f11, electronic shutter, and ndx4 filter to smooth out water. I am sure I got exposures longer than 1"

9. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi

Can't seem to be able to get mine to go longer than 1 second in A mode so I must have forgotten to set it in the test I did.

Paul