Lumix GX7 and long exposures in A mode question.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Paul80, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi all

I noticed something odd with my GX7 the other day.

I was doing some lens tests with the camera mounted on a tripod and IS turned off and Electronic shutter turned on, taking photos of a test chart pinned to a wall.

I have one of the custom function options C1 set to use A mode and Electronic shutter for when I am shooting in macro or using my 100-300 lens so selected that option to use for my test. But soon found that exposures at the small apertures were getting darker and darker, I checked the settings and found that the camera could not give exposures longer than one second.

However if I just selected A mode with Electronic shutter with IS off the camera was able to give much longer exposures.

Why is it unable to do this with the same settings set as a custom function. Am I missing something obvious.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

2. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

E shutter won't let you have exposure longer than 1 second, additionally, it also change your raw from 12 bit to 10 or even lower, you can test 2 shots back and forth using either shutter and pull 2 stops up in LR and see the huge latitude difference. that's why I never use e shutter myself unless absolutely necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  3. khughes44

khughes44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Langley BC
    Kevin Hughes
    Good point Dennis, thank you!

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    What Lowtec said. E-shutter prevents exposures longer than 1", and also won't allow the use of flash either

5. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Thanks for the replies

Will have to double check this but I was sure when I used the A mode I set it to electronic shutter and got exposures longer than one second, I might have forgotten to set it though as early dementia is playing havoc with my memory of late and so is the pain meds I take.

I will double check tomorrow if only to confirm operator error.

I did know about the electronic flash not working in eshutter mode though.

Paul

6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    This is actually only the case with the GM1 and GH4, since they have a much faster sampling rate, so are not able to get the full 12 bits.

http://m43photo.blogspot.ca/2014/05/worse-image-quality-with-e-shutter.html

GX7 and earlier should be totally fine with the eshutter.

7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You must be thinking of some other camera. If you actually did that test with a GX7 and got that result, you made some sort of mistake!

8. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    I was doing some sunsets last night with gx7, A mode at f11, electronic shutter, and ndx4 filter to smooth out water. I am sure I got exposures longer than 1"

9. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi

Can't seem to be able to get mine to go longer than 1 second in A mode so I must have forgotten to set it in the test I did.

Paul

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.