LUMIX GX1 should i ??

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by newbie2, Jul 10, 2012.

1. newbie2

newbie2 New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2012
    Dear LUMIX GX1 users, please advise me is this camera good enough as my primary camera ?? I went hands on and i like it very much but 4 main reasons hold me back from getting this camera

1. The color of panasonic seems to be faded/ washed out
    2. As i mainly shoot portrait, is M43 DOF good enough ?? especially with Oly 45mm and Pana 20mm lens.
    3. With the same price, i could have get a nikon d5100 but i just like the size and retro looks of LUMIX GX1.
    4. I worry that the Image Quality of LUMIX GX1 are worse than nikon d5100

i emphasize on image quality and shoots a lot of portrait, i like the compactness and retro look of LUMIX GX1. So should i ??
    • Like Like x 1
  2. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    just do it and call it a day.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    GX1 has its distinct advantages over the nikon D5100... and the image quality IMHO is certainly no slouch - it's very capable of rendering superb output.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. michaeln

michaeln Guest

I had a Nikon D5100 and a D7000, didn't like them and got rid of them. Never got a single picture out of either of them that I liked, and I hated Nikon's user interface. I like my GX1 way better than either of them.
  5. newbie2

newbie2 New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2012
    Hi michaeln, how do you think about the image quality of gx1 compare to nikon d5100 ??
  6. Chas

Chas Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 15, 2011
    These portraits can be on the titillating side, but I recall a guy that does portraits almost exclusively in M43 in England.

Check it out...I think he does really good work, if a bit on the racy side.

He uses a GH1 and GH2, but the moral of the story is that as he grows in his craft, he is switching over to a Canikon system - can't remember which, and I think because of the better depth of field control. He is a paraplegic, which is why I think he might have started with m43.

The point is, I think his portraits are very good and show off well the Panasonics can do.

The GX1 sensor is derived from the GH2 sensor, so you should have no issues there, especially in controlled lighting situations.

The GH1 is ancient by today's m43 standards, yet it is still very capable.

Personally, I find m43 begins to fall down in high ISO, action oriented situations, and especially with the shallow buffers, but is a brilliant system for most other situations.

I think the OMD has rectified many of those shortcomings, at least the high ISO and shallow buffer problem. I expect Panny will do the same with new offerings.

Bottom line, I think the GX1 will do you fine, but personally, I would like a camera with a viewfinder, and at least a tilt LCD, if not a fully articulated one.
  7. michaeln

michaeln Guest

Well, I think the lenses I am using on the GX1 are better than the ones I was using on the D5100, so I prefer the IQ I am getting now. The 5100 and 7000 probably have better high ISO performance, but the kind of photography I do seldom needs high ISO (I am a landscape guy and mostly lock it at the base ISO).

And I *really* don't miss the weight and bulk of the Nikon stuff. Right now I carry the GX1, the EVF, extra memory cards and battery, neck strap, hand strap, 52mm CPL and variable ND filters, 46-52mm adapter ring, cleaning stuff, 7-14, 14-45, 45-200 and 20mm lenses, all in a small ThinkTank Photo Retrospective 5. To carry that much stuff for the Nikon bodies I'd have to have a heavy backpack.

If I ever go back to DSLRs it would be to FF. There isn't enough IQ difference (if any) to put up with DSLR & lens bulk & weight if it's just going to be APS-C/DX format. FF might be worth it, but at this stage of my life I doubt it would be for me.
  8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Sometimes I think the colors are a bit dull out of the camera. A little adjustment to those in Lightroom and voila! A polarizer for sunny days helps bring out some nice contrast as well. The GX1 with the 45mm will be a great set-up for portraits.
  9. michaeln

michaeln Guest

I shoot RAW all the time so the jpeg colors aren't of any concern to me.
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I wouldn't call the Lumix 20mm a portrait lens. Pair the M. Zuiko 45mm with the upcoming M. Zuiko 75mm for portraits.
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Why was this?
  12. michaeln

michaeln Guest

You could do a fine job on portraits using the least expensive kit lens, the 14-42mm. The upper end of that lens is prime portrait focal length, although it would be kind of slow for available light stuff. Outdoors or with flash it would be fine though.
  13. michaeln

michaeln Guest

I don't want to derail this thread into a discussion about Nikons, thanks.
  14. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Maybe the question you should be asking is "How do you think about the image quality of GX1 compares to Nikon D3200??"

You can compare the sizes of the two cameras here:
    Compare camera dimensions side by side
  15. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    For me, I could never use an m43 camera without a built in EVF as a portrait camera because I would want to use the viewfinder, but still have the hot shoe accessible for on-camera bounce flash or radio trigger. Therefore, I would limit my options to the G3, GH2 or OM-D E-M5 at this point in time.
  16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Too late - you already did :smile:
    But if you don't want to explain no sweat.....
  17. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    IMHO, I use Micro 4/3 and Nikon DSLR - each has its own advantages over the other, and I think they are very capable systems... and they co-exist in my bag. :biggrin:
  18. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    They look more like neutral. I still prefer Panasonic's colors over Olympus. To me Oly colors are oversaturated, fake, way too digital.
  19. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    "and" not "or"

The Nikon D5100 will give you better ultimate IQ.

If you want to travel light, though, think most people around here would tell you that m4/3 is close enough to not worry about the pixels.
  20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    If the OP decided he wanted a GX1, I hope he jumped on the one-day special at last Thursday.