1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumix GX1, Lumix LX7 and Nikon D300s dilemma !!!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Brentener, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Brentener

Brentener New to Mu-43

Mar 4, 2012
    Since may this year, I have a lumix GX1 with the Lumix 14-42 pz lens. I fact, i am very happy with the system. I bought it to replace my trusty Lumix LX5 in addition to my Nikon d300s setup. I wanted to stay lighter, but have the advantage to change the lenses. I would like to have a wider wide- angle- lens, at least a 12 mm. I am interested in a Olympus 9-18mm zoom. It seems to be really small and sharp in the reviews.

That's where the problem starts. The lens would cost me around 500€. For a bit more, I could get a wide angle zoom for the D300s. This is making me thinking about switching from the Lumix GX1 to Lumix LX7. This is the dilemma you get, when you have to non compatible system cameras.

With the Lumix LX7, I would loose IQ but would get the 24mm wide angle lens plus incredible macro possibilities.

Next year, we want to attack the coast2coast walk in Northern England. So, I would surely take the Lumix GX1, instead of the Nikon, but I am not sure about the LX7.

This would mean getting more lenses for the GX1, but what would I do with the Nikon. I would never skip the Nikon, because of Wildlife Photography (mainly Safaris).

So this is my dilemma!!!! What should I do ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like Like x 1
  2. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    Decisions, decisions!

I tried lx7 but it went back the next day after getting noise in ISO 400! But you have tried lx5, so...

Good luck, I also wrestle with choices at the moment- omd or pl5?

3. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Try the LX7

Hi,
    I purchased an LX7 for a three week trip through Southern Europe including a 12 day Meditteranean cruise. It is a light and very good camera to use. I enjoyed it. I'm just about to start processing my images, but haven't got the photoshop plugin I need for the raw files yet. The jpegs are great, sure there is some noise, but I expected that. I'll post some photos really soon to help others get an idea.
    Cheers
    DUD

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    In regards to your GX1 and D300S, I'd simply use the Nikon kit with the most essential lenses and then get lenses that would be more useful in the smaller form factor. I run both M43 and a Nikon kit and I make sure my kit does not overlap.

• Like Like x 1