1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumix GX1 inquiry.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ice_man, Dec 30, 2012.

1. ice_man

ice_man Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2012
    Socal
    Z
    Hi, my wife recently gave me a GX1 for Christmas. I was actually eyeing the OMD before this.

It has a 14-42 X lens. Now my question is. Would it be better for me to dispose of the GX1 and get an OMD and then use my 14-42 X lens. Or would I be better with the GX1 Body then sell the 14-42 X and just get myself a prime lens instead?

Is there a big difference between the output of the OMD and the GX1?

Thanks.

2. cyclelife

cyclelife Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 9, 2012
    Oakham, Rutland. UK
    I have a GX1 with 14-45, 20mm and 45-200. I bought the 14-42X with the GX1 and sold it same day as it's not in the same league as the 14-45 (not std 14-42).

Very pleased with 20mm and 45-200 is very acceptable. The 14-45 is a class act so I tend to leave it on the GX1 unless I need a fast aperture.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The GX1 is an excellent camera. Unless you desperately need any of the OMD features you can be very happy with it.
    Coupled with the lens you have it is a very compact and lite combination.
    Regarding additional lenses it is your take and depends on your shooting habits.
    If you are a novice i would recommend that you use the kit zoom and once you establish your photo style seek for a lens upgrade.

4. ice_man

ice_man Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2012
    Socal
    Z
    I actually don't like the 14-42X myself. Seems like to point and snooty without the zoom ring.

How is the regular 14-42 compared to the 14-45? I couldn't find any kit with 14-45 in amazon.

5. ice_man

ice_man Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2012
    Socal
    Z
    So, basically image quality / output there's no big difference between the GX1 and the OMD?

If I sell the lens (14-42X) which would you recommend as replacement? 14mm or 14-42 (regular), or 14-45?

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I don't have the OMD or the GX1 but in all reviews I have read lately the image quality GX1 is slightly bellow the OMD but still very good. For just image quality without a specific need most reviewers stated that the price difference is not justified.

Regarding lens the kit 14-42 has the same real life quality as the X version you got.(For video the X is better because of the electronic zoom). You can see at this link a review comparing both Micro 4/3rds Photography: Lumix X PZ 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Review: Compact, but not the best image quality
    The 14 and 14-45 are in another league. I just got my 14-42 with a new G5 I have purchased. The 14-45 is better constructed, the zoom lever is better, the metal mount is a big difference and the image quality is far better.
    In most tests the 14-45 is almost as good as the 14mm at that end.
    The 14mm is a very good lens faster then the 14-45 very small with slightly better image quality then the 14-45.

I suggest that upon your needs, that a very good use of the 500$ you save by not buying the OMD, is to get the 14-45 plus the 20mm. This two will give you a great general walk around lens, plus a fast excellent quality pancake.
    Also you can sell the X lens and get LR4, it worth every penny.

7. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Seriously - your wife got you one of the the very best M43 cameras currently available with probably the best kit lens supplied with any camera and you're so ungrateful that you want to change it already!?

She's too good for you.

Life's not about getting what you want, its about wanting what you've got.

• Like Like x 3
  8. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Just keep the GX1 and X lens and use it to get the hang of things. If you feel like the GX1 doesn't deliver the output you want, a user upgrade is probably more necessary than an OM-D. Also the GX1 resale probably wont be very good considering the X lens kit was $499 a week or two ago, which means the body will probably tank to $200 used soon since you can sell the X lens kit for about $250 nowadays.

9. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Give the GX1 a chance.

The GX1 is a very good camera. If you learn to use the feature set it has built in, you can produce excellent results.

The yearning for a perfect camera will drive you nuts. Take that GX1 out and have fun. Practice taking pictures in the field. Come back and do some processing. Play around with RAW and that can be fun. There are lots of settings built in to your GX1 that will tweak the camera's jpeg output engine to your preferences. Play with the creative filters. You will love them.

Life is good. Drink it in!
    Dan

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The GX1 is a very good camera, but the OM-D is better. Whether the OM-D is significantly better is dependent upon your level of photographic skills and what you tend to shoot. Per the question in the title, I must assume that you are not highly skilled and/or you are new to ยต4/3.

At elevated ISO's the differences in IQ between the GX1 and the OM-D will emerge.

If you shoot a lot of action, then the OM-D is the better camera and the GX1 will drive you crazy.

But for most situations, like family snaps and shots around the garden and such, you won't see a significant difference in output between the two cameras.

Gary

11. ice_man

ice_man Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2012
    Socal
    Z
    Seriously? You don't even know what's the story behind and you just go ahead and judge? Wow.

Somebody sounds bitter about something.

Tapatalk.

12. funkright

funkright Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2012
    45-200

Just bought this lens, should get it in a few days, really looking forward to it :2thumbs:

13. funkright

funkright Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2012
    I find the above comment pretty interesting.. Only had the GX1 for a few weeks, but have taken plenty of action shots of my son playing soccer and have yet to be disappointed. In what way is the OM-D better for this type of shooting than the GX1? I'd honestly like to know, as I am pretty new to better cameras :confused:

14. Bertie

Bertie Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    The GX1 is my first little digital camera and I think it's amazing. I usually have either my 5D2 or Rolleiflex around my neck but wanted something more discrete. I thought the GX1 would be a somewhat better version of my iPhone camera and instead I've found myself leaving the 5D2 in my camera bag during studio shoots. If the GX1 isn't up to your standards I would skip the Olympus and look at a $12,000 Phase 1 (ok maybe a little hyperbole but the GX1 really is one stellar lil guy).

• Like Like x 1
  15. ice_man

ice_man Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2012
    Socal
    Z
    Thanks for this. This probably answered my inquiry best.

I think I'm going to get the 14mm and the 20mm. Or what you suggested, 14-45mm + 20mm.

Tapatalk.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ice_man

ice_man Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2012
    Socal
    Z
    I also use a 5DM2 for weddings and portraits. And this is my first time with a m4/3 camera. I'm looking into getting a lighter camera with the best IQ possible to be able to replace my 5D as my travel camera.

I still haven't used it since I was a bit skeptical if I wanted it or not. So I guess I will give this little camera a try and not upgrafe to the OMD anymore. Will invest in lenses soon.

Tapatalk.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    It all depends on one's expectations. I have very high expectations for my images and the lack of a working CAF makes capturing the image I seek pretty difficult. The GX1 is much harder to follow action because it lacks an EVF, the FPS on the OM-D is much higher at 9.5 than the GX1. I'm not saying you cannot shoot action with the GX1, I am saying the OM-D is better. The OM-D is not as good as a dSLR.

These are examples of my expectations taken with a dSLR:

A
    201728502_VqSDA-L-2.

B
    _MG_0915.

C
    _MG_1247-M.

D
    2CBL1281-L.

Images from the OM-D (albeit of 5 y/o's but even 5 y/o's were much harder to shoot with far less keepers/consistency than with a dSLR).

P7140094-L.

P7140103a-L.

P7100222-L.

P7100189-XL.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    If you care a lot about portability the X power zoom is the most compact package available right now. Some people say the lens is even sharper on Omd with its softer shutter.

Do you like to use a viewfinder or are you OK with screen alone? If you don't care for a viewfinder then you might as well just stick with the Gx1 for now.

19. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think its because of faster burst mode- 9 frames per second vs 4 on Gx1.

20. cyclelife

cyclelife Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 9, 2012
    Oakham, Rutland. UK
    new pup arrived today!

P1010051.JPG

P1010067.JPG

GX1 + 20mm no flash