1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lumix GM1 + DC Coupler + External Battery?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by trakmasterrs, Sep 13, 2014.

1. trakmasterrs

trakmasterrs Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2014
    Has anybody tried this combination? I've been reading various threads about the Lumix GH2 using a DC coupler attached to an external battery with the 9V selector working successfully. I know the GH2 uses a battery similar in voltage of 7.2v and the Coupler accepting up to 8.4v when connected to the AC adapter. Everything from the GH2 sample makes me believe the GM1 will be no different considering they're both the same in terms of voltage. I'm just chicken when it comes to actually trying it out. My question is has anybody already done this with the GM1, if so, can you confirm yay or nay on this?

These are the items in question:

1) DMW-DCC15
    2) Anker 2nd Gen Astro Pro 15000mAh Triple-Port External Battery with PowerIQâ„¢ Technology

The GH2 external battery mod Link Here

The reason for this is for multiple reasons including extended timelapse, astrophotography (battery drains fast in the wee night time) and just having a longer running battery when no where near an outlet for charing battery.

2. trakmasterrs

Aug 18, 2014
    in case anybody was wondering, I received all my parts today, had to do a little rewiring and soldering but got everything plugged up and confirmed working. the included cable that connects the battery to the coupler is a little too big so I had to buy a connector ( i think 4.5mm OD and 1.7mm ID). fired up the camera and it didn't smoke up so I guess i'm good.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422204147.507901.

3. Didix

Didix New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2015
    how does it work?

What are the parameters you use and how long does the battery keep up?

-Didix

4. trakmasterrs

Aug 18, 2014
    it worked pretty well. I didn't realized I deleted all my pics when I sold my camera but I was able to find an old one on my Dropbox account and reloaded it back to my post above.

the battery I used was an anker 15,000maH one so it would have powered the camera for a really long time, way more than any SD card could hold for sure. made this mainly for time lapse and astrophotography when it gets really cold and the battery from the camera drains faster.

5. Didix

Didix New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2015
    Time lapse, that's what I also want to use it.
    How many hours do you mean by 'really long time'?

-Didix

6. trakmasterrs

Aug 18, 2014
    i never ran it to the point of exhausting the battery but think of it this way. The oem battery is like 680mAH and my battery is 15,000mAH so give or take 15x the capacity. I'm sorry I no longer have the camera to test anymore so I can't tell you exactly how long. but what are your intentions for it and how long do you want to run continuously?

7. Didix

Didix New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2015
    Timelapse - as long as possible.

The capacity rating for powerbanks in general is based on a single LiIon/LiPo cell.
    Therefore 15000 @ 3.6V. With an assumed efficiency of 85% for the booster I would rather suspect it at a factor of about 7..10.

-Didix