Lumix GF7 Hands on By TCS

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by val, Mar 7, 2015.

1. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William

If you want a summary for whatever reason.

1. no hot shoe or DFD and plasticky build clearly shows that it's aimed at more casual users.
    2. selfie screen has a few gimmicks but they work well. Jump shot uses smartphone's hardware to know when you have jumped.
    3. Same IQ from the other G cameras. 1080p 30 fps.
    4. AF works as advertised, definitely good to point out to potential buyers especially live music/nightlife people.
    5. small yet easy to use so it's a positive user experience except no EVF and no wheel from the GM5.
    6. Panasonic's smartphone app has lots of functionality.
    7. Chris liked it but didn't say whether he would replace his GM1 with the GF7.
    I think it looks appealing and after using the TZ70, it's clear that Panasonic are working on their UI and it's a definite improvement. I don't doubt that the GF7 will sell better than the GF6 and the current price of $635 AUD is reasonable.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Does anyone know if the jump shot + smart phone app works with the GM1/GM5? Or only limited to GF7.
    Also the GF7 is able to focus down to -4EV... is this the same with GM1/GM5?

3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Also selfie-face slimming mode is awesome... my wife would love it

4. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    can anyone compare the GF7 with the GM5 ??

(other than EVF and wheel)

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Try a new thread for it. I'll. Post some thoughts when I have a chance on my desktop

6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have a GF7, just purchased a GX85, and tried out a GM5 earlier this year. To know the GF7 body style is to love it. Yes, it does not have an EVF, something that is almost a requirement for me. But, having tried the GM5's EVF earlier this year, and now the GX85, I have to say that this particular EVF and I do not get along, and it is not because of the tearing. When I looked throught he GM5 and GX85, it is like looking through a fun house mirror. The diopter adjustment and EFV simply do not render an undistorted image for my eyes. This was discussed at length on a DPR thread where a few other people had the same problem. Of course, YMMV on this particular problem.

Otherwise, the camera is only a bit larger than the GM5, but does have a built-in flash. the body is mostly plastic, but feels fine. I suspect it would not tolerate abuse. It has the guts of the GX7 for sensor and, IIRC, processor. I really came to appreciate it just that much more after having bought the GX85. I do not like not having an EVF, as I stated above, but the GX85 has similar issues to the GM5 for me, and it is becoming quite annoying.

I initially bought the GF7 when Costco had it with the two-lens kit a couple of years ago (12-32 & 35-100). I mostly wanted the lenses, but really like the camera when I want to go ultra light. I was hoping the GX85 would be the perfect solution, but we are not getting along so well right now, and I am mulling over my options. The only downside to the replacement to the GF7's current replacement is that it uses micro-SD cards. Those cards are just a bit too small for me to keep track of or change in the field.

Good luck,

--Ken

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

What else is there? There's the pop-up flash versus the tiny external flash, but given the pathetic 1/50s sync speed and lack of HSS support there's not much to talk about either way. The GM5 also has a dedicated video mode whereas the GF7 just records using the active picture profile.

It's all in the EVF versus tilting LCD IMO, for me the ability to shoot from the waist was a far better thing than having a small tunnel vision EVF, I actually downgraded from a GM5, selling it for a GF7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    I did the same, traded the GM5 for the GF7. For me the tilting screen is far more usable than the very small EVF. For my EVF needs I use the G80.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    re: What else is there?

I don't know that is why I asked. There could be OIS differences, better sensor with 17 Mpix, better electronics not in the sensor, etc.

I'd like a tiny body with a good EVF AND a tilt LED, but have to choose one, not both.

10. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    That was what I wanted, especially after I ended up with the GF7. But, the GM5 EVF just was not workable for me (and had me wondering if the body I tried was damaged or defective). I picked up the GX85 as I have been wanting a rangefinder body for a long time, and hoped it would fill the bill despite being a bit bigger. Unfortunately, the EVF experience is not much better. I'll probably keep it and see if I can adapt, as it has many nice features, but it does make me appreciate the GF7 that much more. One small trick with the GF7 when I carry it is to tuck my thumb under the EVF. This give me a good grip, and I can easily flip up the EVF when shooting from the waist or below my head. You do need to make sure you do not crunch the EVF as it is partially flipped up over your thumb, but I am generally careful. It would be great if you could try out a GX85 just to see if the GM5 EVF might work for you. If not, then buy the latest GF model or look for something else.

Good luck,

--Ken

11. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    I have a GX85 already (as noted above) - this is for a small backpacking/hiking unit.

Oh, I forgot to mention I want 20 stops of DR too...

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    And my response to that is what I often tell my wife: "I want an Oompa Loompa now, daddy!"

Good luck,

--Ken

13. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    No judgement, Ken. No judgement.

But WAY too much info! :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    it won't be long before pixel shift or a similar technology provides VERY high DR

15. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    We are both big fans of the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the original Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory movie with Gene Wilder. No need to read too much into it. :)

--Ken