Lumix G9: Can it do Airshows?

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
In the past I used a Sony Camcorder and a Lumix LX100 for Airshows. Before that I used a DSLR and camcorder for airshows. This This Airshow I used just one camera the Lumix G9. Being that the G9 is designed for pro sports/action, and wildlife, I put it to the test of a familiar Airshow that I've attended several times in the past to see if it can out-do my previous airshow kits.

Nevertheless, the following are pics and the 4K video of the Aviation Nation 2019 event at Nellis AFB.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1st Pic a 3 shot panorama of a C130.

Second pic, the C17 Globmaster III.

3rd Pic C-5 Galaxy the largest aircraft in the USA.

4th Pic: the A-10 Warthog.

5th Pic: two Blackhawks of the USAF Rescue team.

6th Pic the Red Baron WWI biplane

7th Pic SOCOM Demonstration streamer drop.

8th Pic The F-35 Lightning II

Final Pic The Thunderbirds.

The following are the 3 chapter videos of the event. All photos and video shot hand held with Lumix G9.
Here are the three 4K video Chapters of the event.
Chapter 1 Morning Events
Chapter 2 Mid Day Events
Chapter 3 The Thunderbirds

Well that's about it for the Airshow with the Lumix G9. Seems the Lumix G9 performed better than my camcorder and DSLRs for the airshow. And, I did learn a few things. I only wish I had that new Firmware 2.0 update to test on that day. Another note to self... use AFC Custom AF SET settings 2 and 4 for better stabilization and tracking. Also, bring 2 cameras to avoid changing lenses so much, as well as a monopod for the longer shots of ground events.

My preferred lens of the 3 used on that day was the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 II. The range was just right for the action of the air performances for video. The hand held stability was pretty good with the 35-100. Although a mono or tripod would have improved the stability at longer ranges for panning shots. Also, shooting HighSpeed 4K 60p helped keep things stable and in focus when shooting the long ranges with the 100-300 II. Nevertheless, I rarely use f/2.8 for video in bright sun even with a ND. Thus, any lens in the range of 12mm to 200mm would work great for the aerial shots, but for the ground performances of the Air Rescure, F-35, and Thunderbirds a super telephoto would be best to get up close and personal with the performers. For photos, longer lenses would be ideal to get close ups on Aircraft in flight. But for video, anything longer than 100 or 150mm would be very difficult to keep stable even with all the options for stabilization especially with the fast jet aircraft in flight.

Anyway, do you use your MFT cameras at airshows? What's been your experience with MFT cameras at airshows? Any comments or feedback welcomed. Anyone shoot hand held FF mirrorless for 4K video of fighter jet aircraft in flight?

Thanks.

Real Name
Richard
I have shot MFT for airshows. Best combination so far has been the EM1 MK2 and 300mm f4 pro. the dual IBIS allowing for slow shutter speeds for blurred props and rotors.

I have never shot video with my MFT cameras (apart from the cat). Can't critique your videos - I think they're great. Especially like the clips of the Black Hawk with the A10 peeling off in the background.

P7150242.jpg

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
I think it's excellent for air shows. You can access my Thunder Over Michigan album by clicking either photo. These were all made with the PL 50-200. I'm planning on getting the 100-400 next year.

48484351577_d1d85de4be_b.jpg
B2_0011 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

B1_0013 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
I have shot MFT for airshows. Best combination so far has been the EM1 MK2 and 300mm f4 pro. the dual IBIS allowing for slow shutter speeds for blurred props and rotors.

I have never shot video with my MFT cameras (apart from the cat). Can't critique your videos - I think they're great. Especially like the clips of the Black Hawk with the A10 peeling off in the background.

View attachment 787851
Thank you.
Great job getting that shot with the 300 f/4. That's a great setup. And that technique of slow shutter with a super telephoto is one heck of a challenge for even the best gear. That takes a lot of skills. Good job on getting that shot.

Last edited:

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
I think it's excellent for air shows. You can access my Thunder Over Michigan album by clicking either photo. These were all made with the PL 50-200. I'm planning on getting the 100-400 next year.

View attachment 788136B2_0011 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

View attachment 788137B1_0013 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr
Great photos with another great lens. I've handled the Pana/Leica 50-200 early this year with my G9, and it was the fastest focusing lens I've used. Was that at Selfridge Airbase?

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
Proper good lot, those.

Are the photos cropped, and if so, approximately how much? :)

Attended my first airshow with a proper camera earlier this year and got some reasonable ground exhibition shots, but not much out of the airborne ones.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel

Great shot, but no EXIF data.... what kind of shutter speed were you using?

Real Name
Richard
Great shot, but no EXIF data.... what kind of shutter speed were you using?
Thank you.

Approx 1/100 sec. For some reason, I have never been able to export from Photoshop with the EXIF data intact. Lightroom leaves it in. I'll try to find the original and confirm it, but I try to do 1/100sec or slower with larger helicopters. I've got more or less a full 'disc' on the tail rotor. The sync IS with the EM1.2 is wonderful on this lens when you need a slower speed.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Proper good lot, those.

Attended my first airshow with a proper camera earlier this year and got some reasonable ground exhibition shots, but not much out of the airborne ones.
From memory, since the originals are on my other computer. The jets were cropped just enough to get the contrail leading in from corner, for composition. It find it difficult to get it just so when the subject is doing 500+ MPH!

By the same token, the B-25 was forward in the frame. I wasn't panning quickly enough and he got a bit ahead of me. This was cropped just enough to remove some of the empty sky behind the airplane. Very similar to the shot below, which is uncropped.

Mustang by telecast, on Flickr

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Much obliged, they flew closer than "mine" then. :)
You have to get there early and stake out a location up front. Last year we paid a quick visit to most of the static and then beelined it for the fence. I had to argue down some guy with a Cannon to keep him from encroaching in our spot. He should've gotten there earlier, it's a rat race for the photogs to get the best spot. This was the first time I was able to get that close, wasn't about to let some lazy butt get in my way!

Wow - that thunderb
In the past I used a Sony Camcorder and a Lumix LX100 for Airshows. Before that I used a DSLR and camcorder for airshows. This This Airshow I used just one camera the Lumix G9. Being that the G9 is designed for pro sports/action, and wildlife, I put it to the test of a familiar Airshow that I've attended several times in the past to see if it can out-do my previous airshow kits.

Nevertheless, the following are pics and the 4K video of the Aviation Nation 2019 event at Nellis AFB.

View attachment 787816

View attachment 787818

View attachment 787820

View attachment 787821

View attachment 787822

View attachment 787823

View attachment 787824

View attachment 787825

View attachment 787826

The following are the 3 chapter videos of the event. All photos and video shot hand held with Lumix G9.
Chapter 1 Morning Events
Chapter 2 Mid Day Events

Well that's about it for the Airshow with the Lumix G9. Seems the Lumix G9 performed better than my camcorder and DSLRs for the airshow. And, I did learn a few things. I only wish I had that new Firmware 2.0 update to test on that day. Another note to self... use AFC Custom AF SET settings 2 and 4 for better stabilization and tracking. Also, bring 2 cameras to avoid changing lenses so much, as well as a monopod for the longer shots of ground events.

My preferred lens of the 3 used on that day was the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 II. The range was just right for the action of the air performances for video. The hand held stability was pretty good with the 35-100. Although a mono or tripod would have improved the stability at longer ranges for panning shots. Also, shooting HighSpeed 4K 60p helped keep things stable and in focus when shooting the long ranges with the 100-300 II. Nevertheless, I rarely use f/2.8 for video in bright sun even with a ND. Thus, any lens in the range of 12mm to 200mm would work great for the aerial shots, but for the ground performances of the Air Rescure, F-35, and Thunderbirds a super telephoto would be best to get up close and personal with the performers. For photos, longer lenses would be ideal to get close ups on Aircraft in flight. But for video, anything longer than 100 or 150mm would be very difficult to keep stable even with all the options for stabilization especially with the fast jet aircraft in flight.

Anyway, do you use your MFT cameras at airshows? What's been your experience with MFT cameras at airshows? Any comments or feedback welcomed. Anyone shoot hand held FF mirrorless for 4K video of fighter jet aircraft in flight?

Thanks.
[/Q

View attachment 787816

View attachment 787818

View attachment 787820

View attachment 787821

View attachment 787822

View attachment 787823

View attachment 787824

View attachment 787825

View attachment 787826

Chapter 1 Morning Events
Chapter 2 Mid Day Events

Thanks.

Wow the thunderbird video is amazing, and the stills are wonderful. I need to practise video ready for the Art Deco air displays in February. Out of curiosity, what software did you use to add the music? Many thnks.

Again - terrific shots!

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Proper good lot, those.

Thanks, all the video is straight out the camera, but most photos were resized to 16:9 aspect ratio. And some cropped down to 4K resolution (3840x2160).

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
What shooting settings did you use for video? (ie. what ISO, aperture, shutter -- or did you just use P and leave everything on auto)
Thanks Trixter. I use manual during the ground performances, but switched to Aperture mode often at f/9 due to the rapid changing exposure during the flights.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Thanks Trixter. I use manual during the ground performances, but switched to Aperture mode often at f/9 due to the rapid changing exposure during the flights.
This is where a custom program mode really helps me for stills. I have mine set up so the rear dial adjusts the A/S as normal, and the front dial for exposure compensation. The top function button next to the lens controls IS so it can quickly be set for panning only. That button is very easy to hit with my middle finger. I can't recall all of the settings. I have messed with different versions of focus. I stopped using focus tracking because the camera sometimes wants to focus on clouds. I am hoping the firmware updates will fix that. Lately it seems easier for me to use a large single frame.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
This is where a custom program mode really helps me for stills. I have mine set up so the rear dial adjusts the A/S as normal, and the front dial for exposure compensation. The top function button next to the lens controls IS so it can quickly be set for panning only. That button is very easy to hit with my middle finger. I can't recall all of the settings. I have messed with different versions of focus. I stopped using focus tracking because the camera sometimes wants to focus on clouds. I am hoping the firmware updates will fix that. Lately it seems easier for me to use a large single frame.
That's a great way to get the shots. In the past I used mostly manual focus with back button AF single point. And the occasional AFC custom points for moving subjects. But the new animal detect af has me using AFC more often for BIF. This helps a lot with hand held video, as does using aperture mode for the fast changing light.

pcr1040

Mu-43 Veteran
For Air Shows I used the same setting as for BIF. The lens is th Pana 100-400 mm lens on a Pana G9 Camera and the results from last Summer's Atlantic Air Show are as good as I can expect. The camera is very responsive and I am very pleased with the images. I do not typically shoot multi images in automatic mode. I shoot single shots with AF-C and shutter preferred setting. As for the focus setting, I use a centered diamond, same as I use for BIF. Following are three examples from last Summer's Air Show

Attachments

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom