Lumix G9 and Concert Photography and Music Video (many pics & video)

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
This past weekend Jazz in the Park featured the amazing Norman Brown. Thus, I had to see what the Lumix G9 could do with concert video photography at night. I've shot DSLR at concerts in the past, but this was the first time with a mu4/3 camera and 4K video.

Lenses: Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 II, and 35-100 f/2.8 II.
Audio Recorder: Tascam DR-40 with internal mics, mounted to hot shoe. Recorded in WAV 24bit, separate from the camera.

The objective was to capture complete songs, and as much video content for those songs. Also, photo and video fillers to bridge the gaps. Being it was the first time, it was a challenge, and a huge learning experience.

The following are a sequence of events.
1st pic, the Clark County Government building. The event Jazz in the Park is held in the stage and lawn area.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Below a 3 shot panorama of the lawn area while the opening act was going on.

Below, a view from the south end. A huge venue at least 15,000+ people showed up.

Below a couple of pics from the opening act.

Next up a pic of the main act, Norman Brown and his band.

Below photos of one of the greatest Jazz Guitarist Norman Brown.

Next, a couple of pics of the current drummer for the band. (sorry, couldn't find any info on this amazing drummer). This guy really holds the band together. See him in the video.

Next 3 are a few closing pics from various angles.

It was an amazing experience seeing one of the greatest guitarist up close. And, a very exciting night of one takes as a solo shooter. I learned a lot from this shoot. And the Lumix G9 delivered the goods. The IBIS is a game changer. It allows for slow shutter speeds in low light. Thus, no more high shutter speeds to correct for my shake. Lower shutters to capture the movement of the action. Thus, I look forward to the next event.

Finally, here is the video of the shoot.

I hope you enjoyed the pics and video. Any suggestions or feedback greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for sharing. The video looks great.

I know you didn't ask for any suggestions, but with regard to the video editing, I think it would look even better if:
1. The cuts between the videos and the photos were visually smoothed by some visual transition of some type, whether it's a fade or some other conceit of choice.
2. More screen time was given to each photo. Right now, they jarringly appear and disappear before you've had a good look.
3. I know you've done your best to simulate multiple camera angles as one person, and you've disguised it as well as possible by hiding hands/fingers when you use video that are out of sync, but you know you still can't hide body language.
4. Would be great if you could find a second shooter on a tripod who would:
4A. Give you that second camera
4B. Allow you to not move the audio recorder and shift the stereo image around
4C. Allow you to switch out that 35-100/2.8 and use a faster prime

Really enjoyed the video even more than your usual road trip videos. The G9 is definitely A-OK for video. You had great access to this event!

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Thanks for sharing. The video looks great.

I know you didn't ask for any suggestions, but with regard to the video editing, I think it would look even better if:
1. The cuts between the videos and the photos were visually smoothed by some visual transition of some type, whether it's a fade or some other conceit of choice.
2. More screen time was given to each photo. Right now, they jarringly appear and disappear before you've had a good look.
3. I know you've done your best to simulate multiple camera angles as one person, and you've disguised it as well as possible by hiding hands/fingers when you use video that are out of sync, but you know you still can't hide body language.
4. Would be great if you could find a second shooter on a tripod who would:
4A. Give you that second camera
4B. Allow you to not move the audio recorder and shift the stereo image around
4C. Allow you to switch out that 35-100/2.8 and use a faster prime

Really enjoyed the video even more than your usual road trip videos. The G9 is definitely A-OK for video. You had great access to this event!
Thank you. I really appreciate your feedback. Having another camera going would really be great. I will incorporate better transitions and give more time between shots in my next Jazz in the park video.

Nice pics, only thing I would suggest is using auto ISO and using either shutter priority or manual and control the shutter speed yourself. I noticed the iso was locked down on your shots which dictated what the shutter speed was which introduced motion blur in many shots such as both pictures shot at 200 iso.

I wouldn't be worried about pushing the iso with the G9. I have some wonderful outdoors night shots at last years county Fair shot at over 4000 ISO also using f2.8 zooms.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
Really enjoyed the video even more than your usual road trip videos. The G9 is definitely A-OK for video. You had great access to this event![/QUOTE]
Nice pics, only thing I would suggest is using auto ISO and using either shutter priority or manual and control the shutter speed yourself. I noticed the iso was locked down on your shots which dictated what the shutter speed was which introduced motion blur in many shots such as both pictures shot at 200 iso.

I wouldn't be worried about pushing the iso with the G9. I have some wonderful outdoors night shots at last years county Fair shot at over 4000 ISO also using f2.8 zooms.
Thank you Tool Crazy for checking out the video and for the great tips. Much appreciated. I agree, with f/2.8 zooms shutters will need to be at least 1/50 at 30P. For that night ISO 1600 to 3200 ISO was enough to get the videos.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom