Lumix G5 HDR mode

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by JeffG1, May 11, 2013.

1. JeffG1

JeffG1 New to Mu-43

May 4, 2013
    I just got my new G5 and I can't seem to access HDR mode. No matter what combination of modes I try, the menu selection is greyed out and inaccessible.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks!

2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Jpeg only.

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Correct. I do my HDR in an external program and just shoot brackets in RAW to submit to my HDR program.

HDR is an in-camera effect and as been noted it's a JPG only thing like any other special camera effect.

4. JeffG1

JeffG1 New to Mu-43

May 4, 2013
    Ahh.. thanks!

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, that's what I do too. It's not that the HDR effect is bad, just that you get better results this way. I think the effect is comparable to using something like Nik's HDR plugin on a RAW image.

6. CalvinV

CalvinV New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2013
    San Jose, California
    I have a worse problem. I just got the Lumix G5 today and I can't find the menu to set HDR anywhere. The Owner's Manual for advanced features does not help much. It explains HDR but does not show how to get to the menu to set it. I don't even see any greyed out HDR setting. Did I get the wrong camera ? Mine is model DMC-G5. Please help.

7. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    It's in the REC (camera) menu and you can't be in RAW mode to use it. You must be in P/A/S/M mode also I believe. I don't think it works in iA or scene modes.

I never use it, but that's where the manual says it is. I use bracketing and do HDR outside the camera.

Look somewhere around page 150-153 or so.

This guys page might help -- you can search on it to find different things: http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com/2012/12/setting-up-panasonic-lumix-g5-camera.html

8. CalvinV

CalvinV New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2013
    San Jose, California
    Thanks

I found it. I kept looking for it in the Q Menu button :).

9. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    HDR Mode

You can the HDR mode add to the quick menu if you wish, so the next time you look there it will be there.:biggrin:

10. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The seeming "panic" in your "Where's the HDR?" request is an indication of just how bad camera manuals are. I've owned Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic and Sony digital cameras and not one of the manuals was what I'd call good.

Combine that with the "Swiss Army Knife" flexibility of modern cameras and their long menus and you have the perfect storm, lol.

11. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    That's why I hope what Samsung is doing with Android on their NX cameras catches on. It really opens up a lot of opportunity for custom apps, menus, and other features.

12. robonrome

robonrome New to Mu-43

Jun 17, 2013
    One thing I find frustrating and unecessary is that the HDR and other jpeg-only functions are not active when the camera is capturing RAW+JPEG. I understand these may be JPEG only functions, but as I'm capturing JPEG the camer should just use the JPEGs and allow without me having to go and change to JPEG only.