1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumix G3/GF3 - Will using a different RAW converter give me better results?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by broody, Jan 28, 2014.

1. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I've always just stuck with Adobe Camera Raw + Photoshop for PPing my pictures. But I'm wondering if I'm missing something, and I would get any different result from using a different RAW converter?

I gave SilkyPix and Darktable a quick try, but I found them very different and much slower than ACR, and I didn't stick with them long enough to know just what they had to offer.

What have you guys used to process RAW from these cameras? Is ACR good or bad? Would I gain much from using a different RAW converter?

2. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    I use Lightroom with has the ACR engine embedded, with a G5 and it seems fine to me. What do you find lacking?

3. stronics

stronics Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 17, 2013
    Can't help it, I thought that was wonderful (the video). A real talent, I want to see more, thanks for it,
    David

4. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I don't feel like I'm missing anything, really. :tongue:
    My curiosity was just spurred by the thread on Robin Wong's PP workflow which made me realize I don't really know anything about PP programs (for instance, I didn't even know Lightroom used ACR internally!) I meant to known what people use in their workflow and what do they think of their own solution vs. other programs.

5. Prakash

Prakash New to Mu-43

Feb 2, 2014
    I use Silkypix with the G3 files and it gives me better results than lightroom 4.

6. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Dxo will give you a nice choice of color profiles from other cameras. You can get Canon/Nikon/Oly colors with a press of a button. Also does awesome lens correction. I haven't found anything better for CA.

7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    DxO can be handy, but if you're using adobe, it's my personal advice to make +25 shift in the red hue, the default profile handles red wrong. other than that adobe did a good job when I used my GF3.

8. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
  9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    DxO is my converter of choice (although I tone down the defaults a little in most situations, make my own preset). You can integrate into a LR workflow, which has better DAM. DxO website shows how.

10. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    I would say that Lightroom is a RAW interpreter rather than a converter, in the sense that nothing gets modified in the original as the changes are applied parametrically. That is also true of ACR of course, but as soon as you move out of it and into PS or PSE you start modifying pixels. To me, that is a great strength of Lightroom, but also explains some of its limitations. I guess what you are saying is that you don't like the starting point that Lightroom gives you. What it is emphatically not trying to do is to give you a Jpeg look alike.

Dave

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The starting point (default) of any RAW converter can influence any user to come out with a different final picture,
    my G3 RAW files prefer PhotoNinja as its default makes the files quite 'poppy', more like my Olympus Jpegs.
    I also like the colour enhancement page and the way it works.

12. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Have you considered the Huelight profiles from colour fidelity?

These will give you three options in both Lightroom and ACR rather than just one and only $10. I use them with my EM-5.

The problem I have with my wife's G3 is the auto white balance is not quite as good as recent models and this tends to leave shots looking a bit "flat" which makes the files hard work.

13. drdtyc

drdtyc Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2013
    I am a newbie of Silkypix.
    How to make use of your file downloaded from the URL you posted?
    Roughly what mods have been introduced?

Thanks!

14. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    It's strange. I shoot in RAW and process in Lightroom precisely because I want to re-create what I thought I saw (well mostly!) I don't expect or want an image that pops. I don't take and process a huge number of images (and very few portraits) so I am happy to craft each one.

If I did want a better starting point, I would certainly go down the Lightroom plug in route rather than interrupt the workflow with a separate product.

Ah well, once again, each to his or her own. All part of life's rich tapestry.

Dave

15. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    What exactly is changed is the text in the UI. It is now proper English / technical terms (as opposed to something that looks like Google translated Japanese).

To use my translation, backup the original SILKYPIXStr.dat file in the SilkyPix directory and replace it with the file with the same name in the attached zip .