Lumix G2 vs G3 in general, and for video?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by robodelfy, Oct 17, 2013.

1. robodelfy

robodelfy New to Mu-43

Oct 17, 2013
    Hi

I have been offered a good deal on a G3, but am considering the G2 for various reasons too. Now as well as taking photos I would love to use this to shoot good video. Not just home movie stuff, but more professional.

I know the G2 only has 720p video, but it also has an external mic in which seems very important if you want to make a proper short film/documentary.

It also has more dedicated controls than the G3.

Im also curious about rolling shutter artifacts on either of these?

Can anyone comment on whether either of these cameras is up to the job of semi pro looking videos, and which one is best?

thanks

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've had both. Actually, I still do, but the G2 has been converted to IR.

The G2 definitely has better ergos and controls, and the eye-control to switch between the EVF and LCD.

The G3 is considerably smaller, has better IQ, especially in terms of jpegs, and better high-iso performance.

Neither offers an electronic shutter, so rolling shutter isn't an issue on either camera.

I'm not much a video person, but neither offers the professional sorts of codecs and features a camera like the GH2 (or GH3 and GX7) offer. I think either would be fine for "home movie stuff," but someone else should chime in on the "more professional" aspects.

3. robodelfy

robodelfy New to Mu-43

Oct 17, 2013
    Hi

Thanks for your reply

Its a really tough choice! I can get the body of either the g2 or g3 for the same price, as my dad would sell me the g3 cheap

I was sureI had read somewhere that rolling shutter was a problem with them on video? Maybe im confused, theres so much info about all these cameras!

Thanks, any more advice greatly appreciated

4. robodelfy

robodelfy New to Mu-43

Oct 17, 2013
    Hi guys

Ive just been looking at the GH series, maybe getting a used earlier model like GH1 or GH2, how would these compare for video, advantages and disadantages?

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think they provide a hack for better video performance on the G3.

6. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    Yes, it's certainly there on the G3, given the right (wrong!?) circumstances.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

7. robodelfy

robodelfy New to Mu-43

Oct 17, 2013
    And how about rolling shutter on the GH1 or GH2

Im just so confused about all these models, and who they are aimed at, whats best for whaT!

8. robodelfy

robodelfy New to Mu-43

Oct 17, 2013
    No ive been reading about the Fujifilm x10 as a friend has one,and some people say this is better than the g3!

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    GH series are geared towards video. So if you say you want to do more professional video then get a GH. Of course a professionally done video involves a lot more than a camera, we're talking lenses, rigs, lighting, gliders, etc. But you already know that right?