1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumix G X 45-175mm and 14-42 Power Zoom Lenses Reviewed at ClubSnap

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  2. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    "there is not any button to switch on/off OIS. Which means, the Power O.I.S is always on by default. If one is using Oly m4/3 body, he has to manually switch off the IBIS in order to have the Power O.I.S. If forget to do so, there will be no IS at all. PLease take note that when both O.I.S. and IBIS are switched on, none IS will work."

I'm a bit confused, I frequently use Panning Mode on both my E-PL2 and G3. G3 sounds fine as I can do it in the menus, but I don't understand the Olympus situation here at all. By the sounds of it, IBIS = Off means Power OIS = On...but where would you adjust the Power OIS method in that case?

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Interesting. It's much smaller than the 45-200, which is always good for compact systems. The comparison shots with the 45-200 just aren't that different, however. I couldn't tell them apart if they weren't labelled. His zoo pictures are wonderful. Given the side-by-sides, however, I don't think I would spend the money to replace my 45-200.

4. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    The fact that the new 45-175mm lens has an internal zoom makes me hopeful that the upcoming fast zooms (12-35mm and 35-100mm/f<2.8) *might* also have an internal zoom design.

Regards,
    AJW

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I doubt you can, as panning IS is a particular advantage of IBIS. I wonder why Panasonic would disable the use of IBIS? Perhaps they think it'll make less people want an Olympus body? But in actuality, it'll only make less people want the Panasonic lens...

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Huh? All Panny's have a panning IS mode ...

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That was one of the most striking things in the picture comparisons shown. I love having a telephoto zoom that doesn't extend on zooming. Fond memories of the Canon 70-200mm f/4 lens!

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    or it's still an early firmware. or maybe until they work w/ oly to update the camera firmware, they'd rather default to oly's IBIS system as users might be more familiar with how that works for them.

9. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    You have only one switch: in the off position (ibis off) the power-ois works. Then, in the only other option(ibis on) you must switch off both is technology for tripod and high speed use.

This until a software update...

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

10. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    The side by side shots against the 45-200 don't look all the different. It all comes down to - is having internal zoom worth almost twice the price of the 45-200?

11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    That lens with its zoom extension and lens hood are the only thing that make my little PM1 look like a real camera and not a compact :eek:

12. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    Incompatible with a Tripod?

Just realized: wouldn't the Power OIS be incompatible for instances where a tripod were to be used? There's gotta be an explanation or a work-around....

Regards,
    AJW

13. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    In panny bodies you just switch it off... In oly body it seems that activating the in-body ois automagically switches off both the ois and ibis.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

14. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    Don't know how you'd turn it off if it's always on first place! Guess time will tell...

"Unlike Panny 45-200mm, there is not any button to switch on/off OIS. Which means, the Power O.I.S is always on by default. If one is using Oly m4/3 body, he has to manually switch off the IBIS in order to have the Power O.I.S. If forget to do so, there will be no IS at all. PLease take note that when both O.I.S. and IBIS are switched on, none IS will work. ?

15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    well, its IS switch is basically an electronic one. For panasonic bodies, you turn it off/on in the menu. for oly, it seems turning on IBIS is that switch. Unfortunately, it seems a firmware upgrade is needed to let you use IBIS over OIS. Essentially, you're forced to use OIS or no IS.

16. Little image improvement if any over the 45-200mm, but the smaller size/weight and the faster auto focus puts this lens on maybe buy list.
    Becoming a bit tripod dependent. Would miss the on/off barrel mount IS switch.

17. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Well I hate the 45-200 @200. You loose a million stops on the corners!
    They seem to have corrected that on the new 45-175

a60.

18. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Oh I really hope for that 35-100mm/f<2.8.
    Im very disappointed that the new 45-175 is not a fast lens!