1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumix FL360L vs FL600R

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by imahawki, Sep 1, 2014.

1. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    I think maybe this topic has been beat up but searches have left me still not sure. These flashes appear almost identical but looking at B&H's website the specs seem vastly different in the guide number. Am I missing something?

2. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Bump?

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    They are the same power, but the FL600R has several advantages:

1. Faster recycle time - 4AA vs 2 AA (this makes it heavier too).
    2. Video light - This is useful for focusing on a dim scene, but it doubles as the remote flash indicator which is really annoying (the FL36R has a discreet red LED). The remote mode LED flash is really bright.
    3. The FL600R is the only large flash that can be used as a remote commander giving greater range in bright conditions.

Urrrr. This applies to the FL360... not the FL360L - my bad.

AFAIK the 600R and 360L are identical.

From a GN perspective, the Olympus FL36R, Lumix FL360, Olympus FL600R and Lumix FL360L are all the same output.

We need a sticky for flash info. There is a bunch of good info out there but it is hard to find.

• Like Like x 3
  4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I believe they are the same. The B+H site gives the guide number for the Olympus at it's widest setting. For the Panasonic it's given without reference to the zoom setting. That usually means it's for the longest (narrowest) setting which gives the highest possible GN.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  5. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks, definitely wondered about the zoom setting. Its like watts with audio gear, many different ways to present it and hard to find an equal playing field. Coming from the Canon SLR world, how powerful are these flashes compared to a 580 EXII?

6. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    You would need the Oly FL50R or Lumix FL500 to be in the 580EX power range. The 600/360 are more like the 320EX. If you don't need a remote commander then have a look at the Nissin DI466. This looks like a good alternative.

• Like Like x 1
  7. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Yeah, not 100% sure what I want vs. need right now. I'm not a working professional, just a hobbyist, but I am pretty into the hobby. However, I moved to M43 out of a desire to simplify and to live the adage that the best camera is the one you have with you.

I came from the Canon world as I mentioned and at one time I had (2) 580 EXIIs with pocket wizards for shooting "on location" and (2) Calumet Genesis studio strobes. I still have the Genesis and a set of Cactus triggers to fire them so I'm good there.

I sold the PWs and got rid of all the Canon gear so I have no hotshoe flash except for the mini one that came with my E-PL5. I'm not looking at getting anywhere near as complicated as the PW and multiple remote flash setup I had before. So I think what I want is a decent, compact flash for on-camera bounce / TTL. I DO still have three older Yongnuo flashes. I'm not even sure on the model number but they're very basic, they just have like 8 power settings, on/off, and test. No zoom or anything. I have no problem with manual flash so I could always use those for "on location" fill.

8. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    The cactus triggers would work with the Yongnuo flashes (I am sure you know this :wink:).

If you only want more power on camera (or off via a cable) and you want TTL flash exposure then the Olympus FL36 or FL50 would be a cheap option (GN36 or GN50). The only difference between the FLxx and the FLxxR is you can't use remote TTL using the little mini flash you have with the E-PL5 and the FLxx versions. You need the R versions to do this and they are usually more $$ as a result. The FL36 will balance better on the E-PL5.

Used:
    FL36 - maybe $80
    FL36R - $130-$150.
    FL600R - $225

The FL600R is the only one that will replace your little mini flash as a remote flash commander.

• Like Like x 1
  9. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Just to clarify on your very last statement, the FL600R will work as a commander for more FL600Rs, right. But it uses "flashes" not RF to communicate, so this may be less effective outdoors? If so, I think all I'm really looking for is a good, compact TTL flash for on camera or maybe some indoor, close range bounce. I'll use cheaper, powerful manual flashes outdoors triggered by an RF system if I choose to go down that route again. Make sense?

10. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Yes 100% correct. The little teeny flash and the FL600R uses flashes to communicate with the remote flashes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks so much for helping me understand. Truly appreciated!

• Like Like x 1