1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumix FL360L Flash message from Panasonic Support Australia

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by HA_DA_JA, Dec 2, 2013.

1. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    The FL360L flash will only work in wireless mode with the joint activation of the inbuilt flash of the camera going off as well. Not a good way to say it.
    The wireless flash works off the flash going off from the Camera itself. So both flashes will fire at once.
    Not what I thought when I bought this but hey now I know, and now you know.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the update. Is that the case for all their bodies (including the latest GX7)? It's a pretty lame limitation... I think with Olympus bodies you can RC control each flash group separately and can turn them off if desired.

3. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    This is in conjunction with the GH3 and I think it would be with all of them.

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You can turn off the on camera flash as well as any of the flashes on any channel and change the exposure comp for the them as well.

If you set the flash on the camera to off, it still has to flash to commnicate with the off camera flashes - but then it should not effect on your exposure.

5. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    Sorry this does not work with the fl360l.
    The fl360l unit has to physically see the flash working on the gh3 to then fire itself.
    I have bought a 3.6 metre extension flash cable to try and work around this.

6. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    No, once you have entered wireless mode on the GH3 you can setup the 3 different wireless channels as well as the inbuilt flash. Each one can be set to off, ttl, or manual. If you set the inbuilt to off in the wireless menu it will still "fire" but this is just a communication flash and will have no effect on the exposure. This is the same as Olympus as it seems Panasonic has just licensed Olympus's wireless protocols. In fact the Fl360l is just a rebadged Olympus fl-600r of which I have two and can verify what I say above is accurate.

7. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    Yes but it is the problem of the inbuilt flash firing off to set the wireless flash off that is causing more flash then needed in my photos.
    I do understand what you are saying.
    I just don't like the outcome.

8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    This is the same with all RC flashes. You can always get flash triggers, but the on board flash isn't supposed to effect the exposure as others have said.

9. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    there seems to be a little miss-understanding going on here!

the remote control mechnism is an Optical one

I can only speak for the Olympus software but you have the option on the camera to set the power level of the flash commander; even if you set it to maximum you would only see the effect if shooting in near black conditions and with a very close subject - the good news is that you wouldn't need to set it to max in such situations and at Low it's extremely low.

the even better news for you is that you can simply put a sheet of IR fliter over the output and you wont see it at all in your image.

10. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

"Light" is a wireless method of sending the data from the camera to the flash. The data is sent as "micro bursts" from the camera's flash to the external flash. Panasonic and Olympus both use this system. So yes, the camera flash needs to be activated.

11. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    Photo_owl.
    Are you saying I can cut a piece of IR filter sheet to place over the flash unit on the GH3 camera and this will still make the external wireless flash work but the light coming from my GH3 will not effect my picture?

12. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    I can't say it won't affect your picture because I don't know what you are shooting or how, but I can say that the optical remote control system on these flashes will operate perfectly well on light transmitted via an 89B filter.

13. HA_DA_JA

HA_DA_JA Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    Australia. Brisbane
    Okay the 3.6meter Flashgun cable arrived today. I will give it a test out this weekend and see how we go. For $25 it cant be too bad.