Lumix Camera with Timelapse funktion 9999 pics

Anderle

Mu-43 Regular
Hi there,

at the moment i use my PEN-F with an external intervallometer for recording timelapse and then finish them in Shotcut.
but i want to downsize that recording a little bit and make it faster.
so i saw that some Lumix cameras can record up to 9999 pictures (instead of the 999 of my PEN-F).

i´m not very good in researching but i found the GX80 and GX800 which are at the moment in my price range for this, is there any older camera with the 9999?

And do you have any experience with external power supply?
For my PEN-F i have some multiple solutions which work pretty good for me, and i want to adapt that also for the Lumix if possible.

I opened a defective accu, removed everything and inserted a cable with 2.5mm connector.
Then i prepared a adjustable external power supply with 2,5mm connector with 7.5V, works perfect but you need a reliable 230V power supply.

The second supply is a Makita USB Akku Adapter (i do have 3 accus with 3Ah and 4Ah) output 18V and a DC-DC converter down to 7,5V - which works with the 3Ah accu for 2-3 days, never got to the end of the accu, always to less storage on the sd card. :-D

Do you have any other suggetions than the GX80 or GX800? Maybe cheaper, because sometimes i just leave the camera in the woods or on the mountains also for a few hours alone, don´t want to sit there all the time.

Best regards
Andreas

Attachments

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I will check my G6 in the morning for you. I’m pretty sure it can do more than 1000 if the battery holds out.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just checked. 9999 images! Lumix G6. Such an underrated camera. Very inexpensive here. Got an undeserved reputation for shutter shock. Perfect for leaving outdoors time lapse. I tied down an umbrella over mine during unsettled weather. If I lowered the resolution, I found I could get over 1000 pics easily on a full charge. The time lapse user interface is easily better than my Olympus’s M5ii.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
G80/85 with a battery grip, you now have 2 batteries and can set it so it consumes the one in the grip first so you can change battery in the grip while still using the one in the camera.
Using an external supply adapter in the grip will give you extra security with the battery in the camera.
(I have a Jupio battery grip which comes with a wireless remote control.)

Edit: No mention in manual about maximum number of pictures for Time lapse, probably depends on available power and memory card size.

Last edited:

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Darn, I just traded in an old GH1. I shot this with it using the AC power adapter: Click to see time lapse in Flickr.

14361040564_8f5e82fa02_b.jpg
A Peony Blooms
by John Flores, on Flickr

I forget how many shots it was, but it was likely less than 9999. Worked perfectly over several days.

I just tried charging via USB and it said that the camera needs to be power off in order to charge. I believe there's an AC adapter for the GX85 ( DMW-AC10 + DC Coupler DMW-DCC11.

Last edited:

Anderle

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great, I will save that for me, because in 1-2 years the G80/85 should be also in a price range I want to use for it.
And it has the electronic shutter (afaik) this is also better to be as quite as possible, if I do that to "catch" animals.

The PEN-F is perfect for all of my needs but I like it to much to leave alone in the dark, even if it's the beast. 😉

G80/85 with a battery grip, you now have 2 batteries and can set it so it consumes the one in the grip first so you can change battery...

Anderle

Mu-43 Regular
Great video, I'm far away from this!
with flowers I don't have many experiences, this was one of my first tries:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsKM5Bp3Y4nygb5bAD6Du2ZDvcTXVQ

But recently I did more mountains:
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsKM5Bp3Y4nygptA4qm4Bd7wTfTTFQ

Still so much to learn

Thanks all for your great help
Let's see what good used camera I find here
I'll keep you informed

I forget how many shots it was, but it was likely less than 9999. Worked perfectly over several days.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
G6 has electronic shutter. The only problem is weather. I made a plywood box. What are you time lapseing? Do tell!
There are game cameras that do this...
I mostly time lapsed weather and some fungi growing. The G6 is pretty cool in that once you have the pics you can select different frame rates, speed up and slow down the vid. And best of all, it’s easy to do in the camera. The only sad part was the battery life, but I see you have that sorted. I need something like that...

Anderle

Mu-43 Regular
G6 has electronic shutter. The only problem is weather. I made a plywood box. What are you time lapseing? Do tell!
... game cameras that do this...
Yes I thought also about gopro or other action cam, and I use a very good app for an old android phone Framelapse (pro), which is really good. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Nishant.Singh.DroidTimelapse

But I didn't have the free time I need and wanted until this pandemic, so now I want to learn and get better.

Mushrooms would be a really great thing, maybe this is my next goal.

Could you watch the videos above in #8?

The power supply is really easy:
Open an old battery, dc-dc step down converter with 2A (2,50 euro), and a big battery to attach (had this for my former M10 also) and a small soldering skill.

I tried also a Dc-dc step up converter with 2,5 A and a 5V powerbank I had at home, the PEN-F only switched on but when I took a picture the supply was to weak, it stopped working.

That was last winter, I left the old m10 there for 3-4 hours there, but then the 999 images were full and the external battery had still enough power, but stopped.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsKM5Bp3Y4nyge5MXz5ObHnd-YMhGA

Henk van Slooten

Mu-43 Regular
Lumix GX8, see page 197 in the manual.

Taking Pictures Automatically at Set Intervals
([Time Lapse Shot])
Applicable modes:
The camera can automatically take pictures of subjects such as animals or plants as time
elapses and create a motion picture.
• Set the date and time settings in advance. (P40)
• Pictures taken with Time Lapse Shot are displayed as a set of group pictures. (P257)
1 Select the menu. (P63)
2 Press 3/4 to select the item and then press [MENU/
SET].
> [Rec] > [Time Lapse Shot]
[Start Time]
[Now] Starts the recording by fully-pressing the shutter button.
[Start Time
Set]
You can set the time to start recording.
Any time up to 23 hours 59 minutes ahead can be set.
Select the item (hour or minute) by pressing 2/1, set
the start time by pressing 3/4, and then press
[MENU/SET].
[Shooting
Interval]/
Count]
The recording interval and the number of pictures can be set.
2/1: Select the item (minute/second/number of pictures)
3/4: Setting
[MENU/SET]: Set
• A recording interval ranging from 1 second to 99 minutes and 59 seconds
can be set at 1 second interval.
• The number of pictures ranging from 1 to 9999 can be set.

Yes I thought also about gopro or other action cam, and I use a very good app for an old android phone Framelapse (pro), which is really good. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Nishant.Singh.DroidTimelapse

But I didn't have the free time I need and wanted until this pandemic, so now I want to learn and get better.

Mushrooms would be a really great thing, maybe this is my next goal.

Could you watch the videos above in #8?

The power supply is really easy:
Open an old battery, dc-dc step down converter with 2A (2,50 euro), and a big battery to attach (had this for my former M10 also) and a small soldering skill.

I tried also a Dc-dc step up converter with 2,5 A and a 5V powerbank I had at home, the PEN-F only switched on but when I took a picture the supply was to weak, it stopped working.

That was last winter, I left the old m10 there for 3-4 hours there, but then the 999 images were full and the external battery had still enough power, but stopped.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsKM5Bp3Y4nyge5MXz5ObHnd-YMhGA
The first video doesn’t work for me, the second does though.

Anderle

Mu-43 Regular
Lumix GX8, see page 197 in the manual.

Taking Pictures Automatically at Set Intervals
([Time Lapse Shot])
Applicable modes:
The camera can automatically take pictures of subjects such as animals or plants as time
elapses and create a motion picture.
• Set the date and time settings in advance. (P40)
• Pictures taken with Time Lapse Shot are displayed as a set of group pictures. (P257)
1 Select the menu. (P63)
2 Press 3/4 to select the item and then press [MENU/
SET].
> [Rec] > [Time Lapse Shot]
[Start Time]
[Now] Starts the recording by fully-pressing the shutter button.
[Start Time
Set]
You can set the time to start recording.
Any time up to 23 hours 59 minutes ahead can be set.
Select the item (hour or minute) by pressing 2/1, set
the start time by pressing 3/4, and then press
[MENU/SET].
[Shooting
Interval]/
Count]
The recording interval and the number of pictures can be set.
2/1: Select the item (minute/second/number of pictures)
3/4: Setting
[MENU/SET]: Set
• A recording interval ranging from 1 second to 99 minutes and 59 seconds
can be set at 1 second interval.
• The number of pictures ranging from 1 to 9999 can be set.
Thx, good to know, at the moment though still to expensive for my usecase.

From the recent posts I learned the G6 is the oldest cam who can do the 9999 images.
That was introduced in 2013, so maybe all newer lumix cameras should have that too.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Henks menu sounds very similar to the G6. I managed to see the vid with the jet plane? passing thru. That was cool! Unexpected bonus. ;)
Love the unpredictability of time lapse. My mushroom vids were like that, with small, unseen insects and crawling animals. Weather was my favourite subject while I lived next to a mountain. Sunrises/sets with low lying fog clearing away, wild rainstorms coming in and clearing away. Nature.
Once I did a lapse of tourists at a scenic waterfall, but it was lame, compared to real nature. Covid sux hard for sure, lost my job, again! But having spare time is the unexpected bonus. Time to figure out the dummy battery hack... :)

Anderle

Mu-43 Regular
Henks menu sounds very similar to the G6. I managed to see the vid with the jet plane? passing thru. That was cool! Unexpected bonus. ;)
Love the unpredictability of time lapse. My mushroom vids were like that, with small, unseen insects and crawling animals. Weather was my favourite subject while I lived next to a mountain. Sunrises/sets with low lying fog clearing away, wild rainstorms coming in and clearing away. Nature.
Once I did a lapse of tourists at a scenic waterfall, but it was lame, compared to real nature. Covid sux hard for sure, lost my job, again! But having spare time is the unexpected bonus. Time to figure out the dummy battery hack... :)
Yes your so true, I love that too. You create the video and get movements and things you never expect.

If you need some links on eBay with the converter I can collect it here

Anderle

Mu-43 Regular
For the dummy battery I think we had a thread where someone had manufactured a dummy battery with a 3D-printer.
Might be safer to print a battery body then opening an old battery.
Yes there is some small risk, but if you use a totally empty one should be no risk of short circuits.
Then the no name batteries are out of 2 thin plastic parts welded together, I pushed that welding line with a small screwdriver and it opened almost by itself.
The bonus is the contact plate, mostly a circuit board with the contacts and there you can use the + and - of the cells for input.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
D*mn you all! ;)
Now I have gone and ordered a dummy battery with DC/DC converter with USB connector and wall-wart for my G80!
€32 from Amazon.de with shipping to Sweden, should be here next week.
Mission accomplished! :drinks:

Anderle

Mu-43 Regular
Good morning
Yesterday I found a pretty cheap GX80 on eBay here including the 20 1.7 which I will sell immediately, because I have the 17 1.8 which I prefer.
The G6 were all the same price than the GX80, so I moved to the smaller camera.

I will test now and if it is not sufficient for me I can sell it again without loss.
I think I will prepare a plastic bag with some Velcro to make it a little outdoor safe.

Thanks to @BosseBe I found a dummy battery which is directly connectable to both of my power sources!

Thanks a lot for the help.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom