Lumix 7-14 + Oly E-M1 - anyone?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by owczi, Oct 30, 2013.

1. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if some E-M1 owners who also own the 7-14, could verify if the purple ghosting issues that the E-M5 exhibits, also affect the E-M1. I don't own the E-M1 or the 7-14 but both are next in line - if the E-M1 has the same problem, I might buy the 7-14 first and use it with the E-M5.

Thanks!

2. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I don't remember where I saw it, but there were some example shots and yes it does have the same problem. I own the EM5 and 7-14mm and very rarely find it to be an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Cameralabs tested this in their review of the E-M1 and verified that the effect is exactly the same as with the E-M5.

http://cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_OMD_EM1/#7-14mm_flare

I also own an E-PL5 and can verify that the E-PL5 has the same effect to the same degree with the 7-14mm lens. I keep my G5 for use with the 7-14mm lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I have been using the 7-14mm on the E-M1. I have read that the E-M1 is just as prone to purple flare with this lens as the E-M5. I simply dont run into this problem because I have placed a 2A Haze filter on the bottom of the lens and this eradicates the problem.

Here is a shot taken last weekend @13mm with the lens. In normal circumstances I would expect to see some purple flare with this sort of shot.

dance_1_of_3_.

• Like Like x 2
  5. rhom

rhom Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 5, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Rick
    Hi robbie36,

I am a newbie to the 7-14. I have had a few OMD shots that exhibited this purple flare when there was a strong light source in the image. I hope that you could help answer a question, please. How do you secure your haze filter to the bottom of your 7-14? Do you mean by "bottom" to be referring to the bayonet end of the lens?

Thank you for your help!

Rick

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Panasonic sells a gel filter holder for the 8mm fisheye lens that also fits the 7-14mm. It's a part that is pretty obscure, and costs maybe $20-25. You need this part attached to the 7-14mm lens, in order to attach gel filters to the rear of the lens. You can find some details about this in threads about attaching UV filters to this lens both here and on DPReview.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rhom

rhom Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 5, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Rick
    Many Thanks, Doug! I'm going to look into this.

Best Wishes,

Rick

8. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
    Easy to fix and it works.

Long discussion of this and the fix works. I am using it on the EM-5. The issue is that Oly does not filter UV in the camera, whereas Panny does. You don't see the issue in most shots, but do when there is a bright light in the photo.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51390321

Phil

9. rhom

rhom Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 5, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Rick
    Thanks, Phil and Everyone. I learned a lot!

I read the above dpreview.com thread and ordered the specified Panasonic gel holder for the 8mm fisheye lens. All of the parts arrived today. This evening, I trimmed the inside inner ring as per one of the posts in this thread and the gel holder fit perfectly. I bought a 4"x4" Kodak #2A Wratten filter, cut it to fit the gel holder wearing disposable powder-free gloves and, using plastic forceps, inserted the cut filter into the gel holder. The whole process took less than 15 minutes. My 7-14mm now appears to work perfectly on my OMD-EM5, no purple blobs when shooting a lit chandelier (a nearly identical image shot previously without the filter did yield purple blobs).

The actual filter takes only a 22mm x 22mm portion of the 4"x4" filter sheet (much less than a quarter of the sheet). If anyone may be interested in purchasing the rest of this filter sheet or a portion of it, just send me a private message.

Best Wishes to all,

Rick

• Like Like x 2
  10. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Could you take a picture of the new setup on the OM-D if you don't mind? I'd like to see what it looks like. Thanks

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    When the lens is mounted on a camera, you won't see any difference - the filter holder is attached to the rear of the lens, and the gel filter is inside the filter holder - it's only visible when looking at the rear of the lens when it's off the camera.

12. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
    Go to the link above for pictures.

Plenty of pictures. The Panny fisheye comes with the filter holder, but not the 7-14.

Phil