1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lumix 45-200mm _ Quality test

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zuzullo, Mar 14, 2011.

1. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Does anyone knows a good quality test for this lens?

2. saxshooter

saxshooter Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2011
    what do you want to see? i did a search on flickr for samples, they looked good to me, and found a used one for $200. Very happy.

3. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

I would like to see a comparison between this lens and a similar one on Canon or Nikkor to have a real feeling of what am I buying :)

4. saxshooter

saxshooter Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2011
    I picked the Panasonic 45-200mm over the Olympus for its reach (400mm long end) and construction (metal mount). I've got Canon dSLR gear but I was looking for a lighter kit (I also have the 20mm 1.7) so this lens fit the bill. Plastic lens mounts make me nervous. And $200 was an easy sale.

• Like Like x 1
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    • Like Like x 1
  6. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Rustic_Barn.

I really like the 45-200. It has a nice reach, focuses fast on my G1, is light weight and comfortable to hold. Really great for walking around and zooming in on whatever catches your eye.

• Like Like x 3
  7. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Do you have any shots at f4,0 that you could share?

8. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

OK, you almost convinced me with your photos :) Is there a way to check the apertures used on each shot?

Thanks in advance

9. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    Great series of wedding shots with the 45-200. That lens has got to be the bargain of the year.

10. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    All the 45-200 shots are wide open.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Best bargain in µ43 glass

I continue to hold the opinion that while it may not be "rated" as the best lens. the 45-200 might be the best bargain in µ43 glass.

I have very good luck with it, most all of my shots have been hand held, and I've taken the time to post many including the EXIF data on my mobile me gallery: MobileMe Gallery

I do use an Aperture import for the RAW files (close your eyes and ignore this reference to RAW pjohngren :smile:)

The import is very good as a "haze" cutter. The before and after gallery is located here:Aperture Presets 45-200 - Mu-43 Gallery

Quick example:

Hospital Trust at dawn no preset applied

HT_No_Preset_Applied.

Hospital Trust at dawn with preset applied

HT_45-200_Preset.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Alan,

What camera are you using?

13. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Djarum,

That was shot on the G1. I had the 20 on my GF1.
    Those shots were just after sunrise on a very cloudy overcast day.

Also, hand held

Alan

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thanks.

The reason I ask is that after having the 4/3 Oly 40-150 on my PEN now for about 8 months, I find the handhold ability really awkward. I can see with the G1 this would not be an issue with its larger grip. Does it work well on the GF1 handheld?

15. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Djarum,

I don't have much trouble with either body, though now that I think of it. The GF1 always has the 20 stuck in it. So I tend to swap the others around on the G1.

The set up for this, which I was remiss in not providing:

G1
    Hand Held
    OIS / on
    No filter
    P mode -
    RAW / large

• Like Like x 1
  16. pjohngren

Oct 15, 2010
    Alan -

Those are really great examples of what a photograh may need to get it right - however you do it, in-camera or with post processing. I love the detail and 'feel of the city' your presets impart. I am working toward similar goals with my in-camera processing. Also - great example of what the 45-200 on a G1 can do. I love this combination. My poor GF1 is not getting the use my G1 is getting. Maybe when hiking season and canoe camping starts.

17. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Peter,

I agree that the G1 seems to have the most use with my other native glass. I tend to use the 20mm on the GF1, I love the combo, like they were made for each other... yes?

When I shoot my Rokkors, Konica etc. those are usually on the Gf1.

interesting that I'd never considered that G1 and 45-200 slant until it was mentioned in this thread by way of a question..

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  18. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

I tested mine here:
    in my view ...: Panasonic 45-200mm

and compared it to another 200mm a legacy FD mounted via adaptor. I also compared it to a 50mm but didn't bother writing about that.

If you want AF and OIS (which is nice to have when doing video btw) then its ok, but optically its inferior to other lenses and it fails to transmit as much light as other lenses at f5.6

I based on usage and comparing other images I much prefered my EOS USM 100-300 on my 20D than I did that lens on my G1

19. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Alan... wonderful result with your preset! SWEET.

And I agree, the GF1 and the 20 is a great pair, with the larger lenses on the larger G/GH bodies.

The 45-200 hasn't really captured my interest that much until now. I can see it! :smile:

I was just about to shed some serious green on exotic legacy glass (kind of have a thing for 1.2 lenses)... then I see this. Hmmmmm.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Real World - Real Photos

Hello Don, Peter et al.

Yes, yes, yes, to all the pixel peeping, color charts, texture tests etc. etc. et. al.

Again, I'm on record and sticking to it. The 45-200 is the best bargain in native µ43 glass out there. Despite the test in the above message. As a rule I don't use a long reach tele to shoot counter top scenes, so I can't speak to that. I never shot a close up of cloth either, though it okay if that's your thing...

I do take the 45-200 out in the field, and out there amongst buildings and boats, and other things I can't stand right next to... it seems to perform just fine. I never said it was the best lens, or even better than other lenses... I said it's the best bargain in native µ43 glass. Still do.

I'm not knocking anyone who chooses to use manual focus tele lenses every single time they shoot... But I choose to keep my kit as light and easy to use as possible when I travel. I shoot the 45-200 hand held, OIS on. It's never looked down from the top of a tripod.... You can spend more, you can shoot some legacy glass, whatever. Heck, knock yourself out.

If you want to reach into your bag and pull out a "fully auto, non adapted, long reach tele, and hold it your hands... you have a long way to go to beat this lens for the dough...

With that said... out of the kitchen, and into the world...

Building tips

P10004841.

Met_Life_Tip.

C_hrysler_Slice_45_2x_78mm_-_Version_3.

Empire_State_Building_Tip.

Chrysler_Tip.

Westport in Winter

USA_Flag_200mm.

Line_Stowage_105mm.

P1010675_-_Version_2.

Tie_Off_132mm.

Life_Ring_93mm.