Lumix 25mm noisy Autofocus (not aperture) Normal?!? (Now with VIDEO!)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by riponfrosh, Apr 1, 2013.

1. riponfrosh

riponfrosh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    Hey all. I just received my 25mm summilux today and am happy with it, other than the fact it has a very loud autofocus. It's on a new G5, and I don't think it's the aperture, as setting it on aperture priority makes no difference. Lighting conditions make no difference, just focusing on various things.

The lens is a factory refurbished unit I purchased off of ebay. They do offer exchanges/returns. Everything else appears to be fine, but while my 14mm and my 45-150 lenses are nearly dead silent, the 25mm is VERY audible. It's not a fast clicking sound, it's a motor sound (think printer cartridge sliding back and forth in a printer...) It also sounds kind of plasticky... i don't know. It's hard to describe.

Is this normal? I had heard that the aperture makes noise on certain cameras, but this baby is loud. It doesn't upset me that much, but if it's not supposed to be doing that, it concerns me.

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    Ruh Roh! Send it back. AF is awesome on this lens.
  3. riponfrosh

riponfrosh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    Yeah, That's what I thought. I'm uploading a video of the sound to youtube as I type this... I'll post up a link when it's done so you all can hear the sound and get a better idea of what I'm talking about...
  4. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Return for another. This lens is silent for me except for the occasional rattle snake aperture noise. Focusing is quick and silent.

Its a bummer but any mass produced unit will have the occasional lemon. Noise like this is a bad sign for the long term health of the lens IMO.
  5. riponfrosh

riponfrosh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    Ok, here's a video of the sound. You do have to turn up the volume a bit to hear it, but it's the plasticky gear sound every time I press the shutter halfway down. The camera is on aperture priority mode...

Lumix 25mm summilux lens Noisy AF Issue... - YouTube
  6. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    I can hear the frequent initial "gear engage" clicks on mine, but not the gear moving noise like yours, at least nowhere as loud. I think returning it is a safer bet.
  7. riponfrosh

riponfrosh Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2013
    Thanks everyone. I guess i'll be sending it back. They are out of stock now, so i'll just have to get a refund. Tried to save a little cash by going with the refurb, guess i'll just have to pony up the dough for a new unit.
  8. dennisk

dennisk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Def something wrong with your lens. It should not make that plasticky rubbing noise.
  9. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    My new 25 was the same way with my G5. Mine was brand new, direct from Amazon. I did an exchange, and the lens I got in return was much better. A lot of the rattles and motor noises were gone, however this lens is NOT absolutely silent, like the kit 14-42. From what I've read, others have said the same thing, so I'm good with the copy I have now.