Lumix 20mm + extension tubes?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by noelh, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Forgive my ignorance regarding macro photography. Was giving some thought (dangerous) to this area of photography. In the old days it seemed that many lens used for macro work were in the "normal" range (~55mm) + add an extension tube or two. In theory lens extension factor (extension2/focal length2) would result in a "slower" lens. The Pany 20mm being a 40mm (35equiv) and relatively fast would seem to make for a decent macro lens in addition to other positives attributes.

Misguided by fragments of info? Not wanting to invest in macro specific lens plus lusting for a 20mm was thinking the 20mm + tubes would also double up as a decent macro lens?

Note to Barrie (Greberman)if he views this post: On the "Extension Tube?" thread you noted in post #10 extension tubes made specifically for mu43. Were the bird feather images made using those tubes? If so, are you happy with the tubes? Who makes them?

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    well the tube thing on m4/3 might be wishful thinking. There are none out there that will support aperture control or AF. Not even sure if there is a non electric option. Most the extension tubes are for legacy and 4/3 lenses out there via adapter.

But big aperture is not what you want with true 1:1 macro. You will have allot of dof issue. You really want to stop down to get more then just a little area in focus. I have big aperture macro lenses, and I shoot down at f11-15 on aps-c, and with my m4/3 macro set up, I am shooting at f7.1 to f10 allot.

3. AF is not an issue. Aperture control is. Just have to wait and hope. Thanks for pointing out another element to consider.

4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    The tubes I have for m4/3 are fully manual, so there are no electrical through contacts and so no aperture control. I can't remember who I got them from, Hong Kong or China. They were made at the behest of a member, OzRay (haven't seen him post for some time) so you might be able to trace the original post when he informed the forum of their availability, although in another thread on this topic a few weeks ago it was stated that they were easily found on ebay.
    Again I can't remember if my feather shots were using them, I think possibly yes as an extension to the 55mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor, but whatever, they would need to be used with a legacy lens.
    They do require some messing about since the focus range is very limited and you will need to take off or add tubes as necessary to get the correct framing, although I guess with more experience you are able to read the situation and guess the correct tube(s) to use beforehand.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  5. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I was just looking into this also, have the m4/3 extension tubes in the mail. Obviously, the length of the tube will affect the magnification. I was wondering, is there an easy way to determine magnification when using tubes? For example, my 60mm Elmarit has a tube that is approx 50mm long (I didn't measure it, just a guess) and that changes magnification from 1:2 to 1:2. What would happen if I added another 50mm tube to it?

Thanks,

Stefan

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  7. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have an old set of extension tubes that work with m old nikkor 50mm 1.8. They obviously only offer manual aperture and focus, but for macro work I don't find that to be a problem. If you are only wanting to do occasional macro work, tubes (either m4/3 or through an adaptor) would be the most economical solution. Im fuzzy on the details, but I seem to remember that dedicated macro lenses are optimized for the optical conditions of close up work and for critical applications would be preferred. I just sold a 100 mm macro lens for my old canon slr (which I'm not using at the moment) and figure that the old Nikon tubes will serve for any close-up ideas I might have in the future. The Canon macro financed my purchase of the panny 20mm :)