Lumix 20....WOW!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by slackercruster, Jul 24, 2012.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Wow, this lens is very sharp...

CA are bad in certain areas. I took a pix in the living room with sun coming through the windows. Sun refected off of some items on the table and the edges had bad purple fringing.

If pix is not troublesome lighting, then CA's seem to be fine.

This sample is much sharper in person, before reduction and photo hosting.

2. jff1625

jff1625 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    London
    has weird swirly bokeh balls too, and not in a good way. Hard to go past that sharpness tho, especially considering the price and size.

And the colours!

3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I too see purple fringing around bright features when shooting this lens wide open or at f/2. Stopping down alleviates it and when you're shooting raw and use Lightroom 4.1 you can correct for it. Most fast lenses do this, I saw an example of the Panny 25/1.4 recently and the Panny 45-200mm even has purple fringing at f/8.

4. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    If you were shooting on a Panasonic Body, or shooting raw, CA wouldn't be an issue. The 20mm is very clearly a lens that was designed to be corrected in post. It has pretty dreadful distortion for a prime too. No matter because it's so bloody sharp in the centre.

5. slackercruster

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Is that the issue? It is made for the Pan and the Oly does not correct for the CA?

6. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    From what I understand the Panny bodies correct for the CA and the oly ones don't.

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    My understanding is that Panasonic bodies will correct some types of CA, but not purple fringing(?).

I never noticed much CA or PF with the 20/1.7 on my Olympus bodies. On my PL25, on the other hand, I see a lot of PF... anytime when I am wide open (larger than f2.8) and there are high contrast areas, like sunlight filtering through the leaves of a tree (even at times approaching dusk), it is pretty much guaranteed.

8. I've had some really horrible examples of purple fringing on the 20mm mostly in areas of extreme contrast around the edges of the frame. However as Ad says, Lightroom 4.1 is just brilliant at removing it. When I get home I might try to dig up some uncorrected examples.

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I take it you saw more on the 20 than on the PL25?

The more I think about it, I don't think I was trying to push the DoF as hard when I used the 20... mostly kept it around F4.

10. Definitely. If you look very hard you can find a tiny bit on the PL25 (and O45 for that matter) but that is very minor. On the other hand, I think that the P20 is better controlled in the centre of the frame than the PL25 when shot wide-open. My PL25 seems to get a "glow" at f/1.4 but is mostly gone at f/1.6.

11. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    both Pana lenses ive got, have terrible CA (P20mm and P14mm, used on my olympus bodies), which you got to fix in PP. no problem, i dont like the edges, specially on the P14mm, P20mm is better for that matter, I just wish Olympus would have better pancakes for the 17mm/20mm fov. im just waiting for photokina and see if they come up with that 25mm pancake. fingers crossed. i wish they have a better version of the 17mm or a better version of the P20mm, i just love the 35/40mm EFOV.

12. gardengirl13

gardengirl13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 26, 2012
    US
    When is photokina? I set my 12-50 zoom to 25, 20, 17 and 14 to see where I liked it for a street lens and I almost liked the 14 best! I thought I'd be more comfy at 17/20 as I loved the 35 on my film camera. I'd love some new primes, but I don't want to wait. I'd rather be able to shoot now. But if it'll only be a few months I can hold off and buy used for now so I don't lose a lot of money if I upgrade.

13. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    if im not wrong photokina will take place in germany on the 18-23 of september! so still 2 months to go from now! i think i can wait before buying any new toys/tools!

14. phdezra

phdezra Mu-43 Stalker

Dec 6, 2011
    New York, NY
    What is this a picture of? I dont understand why the top two-thirds look like wood, but the bottom third looks like a cutout from another photo with blur? Am I missing something?

Separately, I agree this is a sharpppppp lens. :)

15. slackercruster

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Deck handrail

16. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Sounds like you might be a good candidate for the Panasonic 14mm prime then! Nice and cheap so if you don't love it, you won't be spending big bucks either.

17. slackercruster

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Well, got just to try out each lens to see how it works for us. I thought I'd like the 20 for undercover work, but found the 12mm best for walking around and shooting at the hip without looking. Very fast focus and I need the extra area the 12mm takes in if I am not framing.